It is currently Fri May 22, 2015 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Girl
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:46 pm 
What an up and down show, but about the middle of season two it is some of the best television I've ever seen (at least concerning the relationship between certain characters). Basically, any scene with Jake Johnson is hilarious. The early episodes are really fucking bad and really fucking painful to watch, but once Jake Johnson kind of takes over as the focal point for Zoeey Deschanel the show gets exponentially better. I marathoned this show and it was definitely worth it for that one moment that I don't want to spoil because holy shit, it was so beautiful I think it was the first time I cried sober in a long time.

Post subject: Re: New Girl
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:43 am 

Idk I could not even finish the first episode. Truly bad. Can you just like give me an episode to start at where it isn't terrible anymore?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:59 am 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
I agree with Joe. There are patches where the show is hilarious, has a unique voice, and the characters are vivid. Other patches, the show is barely watchable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:51 pm 
Dreww

You have to bear it. The show gets pretty damn great in the second season, basically whenever Nick is the focal point, but you kinda have to get through the first season so you can get a feel for the characters. Contrary to popular belief, it's not a show you can just jump into. You don't really have to watch it after Coach comes back (horrible character) but I urge you to plow through until the episode 16 of season 2, and by that point I think you'll see the appeal of the show. The episode with Prince is rather fun as well but you need to get through the first season and fifteen episodes of season 2.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:37 pm 

Dreww wrote:
Idk I could not even finish the first episode. Truly bad. Can you just like give me an episode to start at where it isn't terrible anymore?

I've watched enough sit-coms to know that the pilots, sometimes even the first seasons, tend to be pretty messy before the show finds its feet. How much genius do you find in the first season of Seinfeld? The Friends pilot? US Office pilot? Hell, even the first Parks & Recreation season was pretty patchy, and that show got really good from the second season onwards.

New Girl, at its best, rivals the great sit-coms of years gone by. Like others have said, it is pretty hit and miss, but I don't think the lows are all that bad. What I do think is one of its best qualities, and what makes me think of Friends, is the chemistry between the characters. Great comic timing, too, especially from Max Greenfield and Jake Johnson.

But yeah, the first season is mandatory watching to get many of the later plot points. It also has many of the show's best moments.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:16 pm 

haha, I actually like the US Office pilot (and prefer its first season to everything after season 2, but I realize that's unpopular). I did have to kind of power through P&R's first season, which I didn't hate, but it did bore me extremely. I got through it because one of those Ron Swanson compilations was so good that it motivated me. And with Seinfeld I was already familiar with a lot of the later episodes so I found watching the first season kind of amusing to see how the characters developed. But I take your point.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:01 pm 

I'm with Dreww on this, I could not get through the pilot episode. But Yngtchie does make a very valid point on the slow and usually bad beginning of great comedy shows.

I don't believe the other mentioned pilots (Seinfeld, Friends, Parks & Rec) were as bad beginnings as New Girl, though. Not as comically extraordinaire as later seasons, but still watchable. For Seinfeld, my appreciation of the pilot mimics Dreww's point of view - having already become so accustomed to later episodes, the predominant feeling was of amusement in light of the characters' development over the course of the series. In the case of the US Office, I also gave up on it after the pilot, and did not watch it (could have been due to my huge adoration of the UK Office beforehand, making the US version's pilot feel like a poor-man's copycat version of it).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:41 pm 
The problem with early New Girl is it's obviously very over the top but Jess does not have a consistent personality - they kind of crammed 3 or 4 different characters in her and Zooey as an actress doesn't really make them something cohesive until about episode 5 or 6. I refused to watch New Girl for a really long time. My girlfriend and her friend were marathoning it one day and I caught the first couple of episodes and I could not believe that people could be entertained by such garbage, but then I was laying down watching a newer Parks & Rec episode and a new New Girl episode came on right after because I was too lazy to turn off Hulu, and I ended up laughing a lot. I took a couple days and just watched seasons 1 through 3 and while it does have its ups and its downs for the most part the absurd humor can carry the downs. It's a great show and I am very glad I powered through it for the same reason I am glad I powered through the first season of Parks & Rec.