It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Wire
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:28 pm 

Finally got around to watching the last episode. Wow. I'll have to try and watch Seasons 2-6 of Oz and 3-8 of Scrubs but goddamn this show is just too good. Immediately rewatching the entire thing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:06 am 

awesome wrote:

Hah, I guess I was wrong in many ways then. There are a few things that bug me that I find unlikely still. For instance, there's a difference between jacking off drugdealers and jacking off high end drugdealers. Though it eventually becomes his demise, I doubt an Omar of the real world would try jacking off someone like Marlo, or Barksdale for that matter. David Simon mentions that some of these guys survived for decades and I bet my ass that none of those did that. Also, things like him jumping out of that building kinda bugs me. I guess it's theoretically possible to survive and whatnot, but it's highly unlikely and it's only put in there to create suspense that I really don't think the series needed. There's more than enough going on.

I still want to stress that I enjoyed this show a lot and that I consider it one of the best I've ever seen. And I don't usually like police dramas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:16 pm 

Quote:
Jacking off

- um where are you from where that doesn't mean what it means here

- Omar robs Marlo without knowing who he is at the poker game. He never actually robs Avon. What he does jack are stashhouses which I don't have a hard time believing, especially given all the trouble and death (Brandon, Tosha) that results. His only huge score is Prop Joe's shipment which is a big moment but surely an earned one. By the time he was Spidermaning the writers were making full use of their one fully theatrical character leading up to his anticlimactic demise.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:45 pm 

Shit. Thought you could write it like that. Regardless, I reckon you understand what I ment.

At the height, or shortly after the height of Avon's prime he jacks multiple stashouses from under him, some of them while Stringer has put a bounty on his ass, if my memory serves me right. I guess it could viewed as plausible and I might just be complaining about nothing, but I can't help but feel he sticks out as the least plausible character in the series. Then again, that might have to do with my original impression that robbing drugdealers, more specifically high end ones, wasn't business as usual.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:03 pm 

Oh I totally agree he's the least realistic character on the show. But it doesn't exactly take me out of the moment when he aims high.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:09 pm 

Well, since Omar is gay...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:12 pm 

Hehe. Almost forgot that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:58 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:32 pm 

OMG. Best game everrr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:48 am 

Got seasons 3 & 4 today. Now I have the whole series. A very merry christmas indeed :dec-smile:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:57 pm 

Omar was my favorite on the show, and I never could figure how it was gonna end for him. I was pleased with his demise though, it was ironic considering how he went about himself the entire series.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:27 am 

Anyone interested in Generation Kill should look into getting it at Best Buy soon. I just bought it on blu-ray and it was only $25, marked down from about $80 – and regular quality is only $20, down from $60. I'm three episodes in so far and it is damn good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:27 am 

I'd put it on par, or very close to, with The Wire.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:25 am 

Started season 5 last night. Most excellent season, no doubt, but it was bound to pale next to the absolutely massive 4th season.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:29 am 

I said this in another thread, but I kinda treat it as a black comedy in places, it really does make me laugh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 26  Next