It is currently Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Married...With Children
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:03 pm 

Without hesitation my favorite sitcom of all time. STRONG nostalgia factor, but aside from that, it still remains as funny to me now as it did when I was a kid. Dysfunctional tv families ftw.

Any other fans besides boo boo, Domino, and Bones?

Post subject: Re: Married...With Children
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:05 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Without hesitation my favorite sitcom of all time. STRONG nostalgia factor, but aside from that, it still remains as funny to me now as it did when I was a kid. Dysfunctional tv families ftw.

Any other fans besides boo boo, Domino, and Bones?

It's in my top ten shows of all time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:34 pm 

Location: I avoid cultural appropriation by only listening to white music
This show was so unique for sitcoms because while most sitcoms try to be somewhat realistic, which only makes the more unrealistic elements that more jarring (more recent shows like Big Bang Theory are a good example of this), MWC was unapologetically over the top, it was a live action cartoon, which is why I loved it as a kid despite all those not so subtle inneundos going over my head. I can appreciate Al's one liners more now that I'm older. :lol:

I wish more sitcoms took the approach it did, which is playing the lack of realism for laughs instead of trying (and failing) to be believable.

The cast was really what made this show, especially O'Neill who is one of the most underrated character actors in the business, and Applegate who played the dumb blonde archetype so perfectly that it should be retired in her honor.

Last edited by boo boo on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:37 pm 

boo boo wrote:
This show was so unique for sitcoms because while most sitcoms try to be somewhat realistic, which only makes the more unrealistic elements that more jarring (more recent shows like Big Bang Theory are a good example of this), MWC was unapologetically over the top, it was a live action cartoon, which is why I loved it as a kid despite all those not so subtle inneundos going over my head.

The cast was really what made this show, especially O'Neil who is one of the most underrated character actors in the business, and Applegate who played the dumb blonde archetype so well that it should probably be retired in her honor.

It was one of the few shows where all of the female characters were funny.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:21 pm 

I've seen them all and this is still my favorite episode.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:19 pm 

It was funny, but I could never get over how relentlessly miserable and misanthropic this show was. It's one thing to be a show about awful people; this was a show about how awful people are. The Dexter Holland of sitcoms.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:48 pm 

monga18 wrote:
It was funny, but I could never get over how relentlessly miserable and misanthropic this show was. It's one thing to be a show about awful people; this was a show about how awful people are. The Dexter Holland of sitcoms.

If you pay attention though, you will notice that the show was really about families sticking together no matter how dysfunctional and cynical they are.

I adore the fact that it's like Seinfeld, in that it doesnt try to be deep and insightful.