It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deadwood
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:11 pm 

Discuss this fuckin' show. Every fuckin' bit as good as The Wire and The Sopranos, and with a more respectable sense of the fuckin' world to boot.

Todd Van Der Werff's fawning run through all three seasons

Alan Sepinwall's less fawning but still highly worshipful recap

Post subject: Re: Deadwood
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:50 pm 

monga18 wrote:
Discuss this fuckin' show. Every fuckin' bit as good as The Wire and The Sopranos, and with a more respectable sense of the fuckin' world to boot.

Todd Van Der Werff's fawning run through all three seasons

Alan Sepinwall's less fawning but still highly worshipful recap

Watched the first 2 seasons. Still have to watch the third. The 1st season is on the short list for best season of any show ever. I mean holy fuck is it great. The second season is not nearly on the same level and a bit of a disappointment but still really good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:10 am 

yeah this show is all time for sure. still devastated it got the can after 3 seasons

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:01 pm 

I own all 3 seasons on DVD but I keep stalling near the end of season 2. Fuck knows why, as what I have seen is magnificent.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:08 pm 

2nd season is top 3 greatest tv seasons of all time, definitely. As stated: this, The Wire and The Sopranos make the 3 cleverest, most condense tv shows ever. Especially the dialogue in this shit is amazing (redneck-shakespearean, all fuckin'-aiight).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:51 pm 

I watched episode one this morning. Pretty damn good so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:40 am 

About first half of season 1 is sorta unfocused. It's not bad at all, but it's as soon as Milch realizes that simply making a western doesn't make for great tv in the long run, and start making the show about establishing societies, that's when the show evolves into a must-see.

Damn, just considered that last scene of the show. Brutaly touching when it hits you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:17 am 

I think the looser feel (and pervasive amorality) of the first half-dozen or so episodes is entirely intentional and part of Milch's plan - you can't write a show about establishing society without exploring why it needs establishing, and to do that you need to show the lawless, perilous muck from whence it came.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:53 am 

ian mcshane should have been knighted for al swearengen alone. pure fucking genius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:03 am 

monga18 wrote:
I think the looser feel (and pervasive amorality) of the first half-dozen or so episodes is entirely intentional and part of Milch's plan - you can't write a show about establishing society without exploring why it needs establishing, and to do that you need to show the lawless, perilous muck from whence it came.

I think this is right

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:21 pm 

Bunch of hoopleheads in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:30 am 

monga18 wrote:

It's a good point, but i still think the show's true greatness starts as soon as its purpose gets clear (about the time of the Wild Bill incident)..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:44 am 

So 4 episodes into the 3rd Season (so I can finally finish this). I'm liking it better than the Second Season so far (which was just so unevenly paced and had several subplots and characters I didn't much give a shit about).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:33 am 

Man I love the 3rd season too - Hearst v. Swearengen is a feud for the ages - but for pointless subplots I feel like the 3rd season has the first two dead to rights. Try as I might I could not give a fuck about the theater people, and I don't think it's spoiling much to tell you that you're going to hate the fucking Earps

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:59 pm 

monga18 wrote:
Man I love the 3rd season too - Hearst v. Swearengen is a feud for the ages - but for pointless subplots I feel like the 3rd season has the first two dead to rights. Try as I might I could not give a fuck about the theater people, and I don't think it's spoiling much to tell you that you're going to hate the fucking Earps

Yeah just finished the 5th episode and holy shit was it awesome. And yeah I don't know yet how I feel about the Theater people. I also kind of hoped *spoiler warning* that Alma would have actually died of her pregnancy and been out of the way. She's wearing on me quite a bit. Any how great show.