Ben Wyatt 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Chris Traeger 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Jerry Gergich 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Donna Meagle 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mark Brendanawicz 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 53
 Post subject: Parks and Recreation
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:49 am 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
I have honestly no idea how popular this show is, but I started watching it from the beginning on Hulu last week and have gotten through season 3 so far. In short, season 1 was a so-so Office derivative, but I loved seasons 2 and 3. All the characters are consistently funny and Ron Swanson might be one of my favorite television characters of all time.

Whatchall think?

Post subject: Re: Parks and Recreation
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:07 am 

I think the cast is too big and Ann and Chris are the ones who should leave since it seems like they're increasingly being shoehorned into the other characters' stories.

I also think this show is awesome and can easily survive two iffy characters in a cast of THOUSANDS!! I think it's a remarkable trick Ken Tremendous and Co. pulled off to create a main character who is not just sympathetic but fundamentally good - in every way - and still incredibly funny. That combination is a much rarer thing than I think most people realize.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:52 pm 

Tom Haverford, my favorite character in any show right now. I picked him and Ben, because their pairing is my favorite thing about the show. If we had three votes I would have thrown one to Jean Ralphio too, who I think is one of the best-used side-characters in television comedy history. I really hope they don't overuse him and ruin the joke.

Cruz, is Ron Swanson the one who inspired you to become Libertarian?

monga18 wrote:
I think it's a remarkable trick Ken Tremendous and Co. pulled off to create a main character who is not just sympathetic but fundamentally good - in every way - and still incredibly funny. That combination is a much rarer thing than I think most people realize.

This is a good point. Other funny main characters usually are pretty bad people overall (see the Michaels, Bluth and Scott)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:12 pm 

Ron, followed closely by Leslie. It really is an awesome cast (I agree about Ann and Chris though).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:25 pm 

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I love how big the cast is, and Ann and Chris are used pretty well imo. I still find Chris's health-nut stuff really funny even if he's become a parody of himself, and he's the perfect foil to Ron. Ann is really just on the show to be Leslie's best friend, but I think this is important and is what gives Leslie that sympathetic quality Monga was talking about. Going back to my other two favorite comedies of the 00s, Michael Bluth and Scott don't have any friends at all. It makes them seem less human and understandable.

I guess if I thought they should "trim the fat" of the show, I would take Ann out, but I really don't think there's any reason for them to lose characters.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:28 pm 

I guess I should have qualified...I agree that they're just supporting characters at this point, not that they should be cut out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:28 pm 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
batman wrote:
Cruz, is Ron Swanson the one who inspired you to become Libertarian?

:lol: No, but the timing does seem coincidental.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:53 pm 

I voted for Ron and Leslie, but her April and Tom are all basically equal for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:09 pm 

Ron and Andy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:15 pm 

a_man_named_gray wrote:
Ron and Andy.

That's how I voted as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:18 pm 

I haven't actually watched past season two. But I absolutely loved what I saw. Anyone else not like Mark?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:06 pm 

Brendanaquitz is the worst by far (unless we count the guest spots of Andy Samberg and, oddly, Will Arnett.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:10 pm 

batman wrote:
I would have thrown one to Jean Ralphio too, who I think is one of the best-used side-characters in television comedy history. I really hope they don't overuse him and ruin the joke.

Well Ben Schwartz (Jean Ralphio) was cast in one of the new Showtime dramas (not Homeland, the other one) so we'll be seeing a lot less of him. Like when Tom got the news that 720 was belly up last week, it was over the phone and not in the middle of Tom and J-R's second mid-morning massage from the iPad girls.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:18 pm 

batman wrote:
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I love how big the cast is, and Ann and Chris are used pretty well imo. I still find Chris's health-nut stuff really funny even if he's become a parody of himself, and he's the perfect foil to Ron. Ann is really just on the show to be Leslie's best friend, but I think this is important and is what gives Leslie that sympathetic quality Monga was talking about. Going back to my other two favorite comedies of the 00s, Michael Bluth and Scott don't have any friends at all. It makes them seem less human and understandable.

I guess if I thought they should "trim the fat" of the show, I would take Ann out, but I really don't think there's any reason for them to lose characters.

Oh I totally agree that Ann is a great foil/straight woman for Leslie. I just don't think she works particularly well with anybody else given how tenuously she's connected to most of them. The last 2-3 episodes she's been paired up with Ron and those stories have been superfluous. Leslie is already Ron's mentee/surrogate sister and April is already Future Girl Ron. There's no room at the inn. I really think they need to keep Ann in storage for when they need her in Leslie stories (and occasionally to have April shit on her) and just not use her besides that. Have her be more of a Donna and not the second female lead she's been the last 2 years.

Chris/Rob Lowe (don't know what to call him since the whole reason he's on the show is because he's Rob Lowe, star actor/ratings bait, and not Chris Traeger, integral character.) is just an odd case because there was never much expectation that he'd be on the show long, until he was. He would have played a big part as an antagonist had Leslie and Ben not broken up, until they did. Now he's just there banging Jerry's slutty daughter and taking up space.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:21 am 

monga18 wrote:
Chris/Rob Lowe (don't know what to call him since the whole reason he's on the show is because he's Rob Lowe, star actor/ratings bait, and not Chris Traeger, integral character.) is just an odd case because there was never much expectation that he'd be on the show long, until he was. He would have played a big part as an antagonist had Leslie and Ben not broken up, until they did. Now he's just there banging Jerry's slutty daughter and taking up space.

That is, lit'rally, the most accurate breakdown of Chris Traeger I've ever read.