DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Simpsons
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:28 pm 

The one with the hair transplant is just too much... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:37 pm 

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? may be my personal favourite from series 2, or possibly Three Eyes on Every Fish

Also, really unpopular opinion this one I know, but I think the original Treehouse of Horror is actually the best one. That haunted house segment is the best THOH segment they've ever done imo. The lighting and atmosphere of it, it's genuinely like a Bava film or something.

Tbf, I probably would've said series 2 wasn't quite part of the peak a while back either, but I've been working my way through the first 10 series again recently, as I hadn't seen a lot of them in years and I forgot just how good series 2 was.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:07 am 

Avery_Island wrote:
I actually think it starts to decline about half way through series 7. Not that series 7 and series 8 and to a lesser extent series 9 and 10 aren't still great, but they're not as consistently great and you can start to see the cracks coming in some episodes and it's not quite the "best ever tv" material that series 2-the first half of series 7 are (with some exceptions of course).

I've never understood the peak being series 3-whenever opinion though. Like Neg, I think series 2 may actually be my favourite series, though possibly 3 may be better, 2 & 3 are definitely the "absolute peak" for me. Don't understand why series 2 gets written off by so many people. Series 1 was very sketchy and hit and miss, but by the time it gets to series 2 it's all there imo.

Pretty much agree with you on this. While 7 & 8 are excellent seasons, you can see signs the characters becoming a lot more one dimensional in season 7. It's hard to find a bad episode from Season 2 to season 6.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:32 am 

Avery_Island wrote:
I actually think it starts to decline about half way through series 7. Not that series 7 and series 8 and to a lesser extent series 9 and 10 aren't still great, but they're not as consistently great and you can start to see the cracks coming in some episodes and it's not quite the "best ever tv" material that series 2-the first half of series 7 are (with some exceptions of course).

I've never understood the peak being series 3-whenever opinion though. Like Neg, I think series 2 may actually be my favourite series, though possibly 3 may be better, 2 & 3 are definitely the "absolute peak" for me. Don't understand why series 2 gets written off by so many people. Series 1 was very sketchy and hit and miss, but by the time it gets to series 2 it's all there imo.

Season 2 is fantastic and I don't see how anyone can say it's less than that. The show isn't as funny as it would be in the following few seasons but it has a powerful heart that I don't think the series ever retains again on such a consistent basis. It's similar to season 1 in some ways, but it's a much more strongly fleshed out version of Season 1.

With the different showrunners, the show would take strong variations in direction, but Season 2 represents the best of an era that is invaluable to the show.

And also, it has Lisa's Substitute, which is one hell of a tear-jerker.

"You are Lisa Simpson."

And here I start to tear up again....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:15 pm 

I personally consider season 4-7 just about equal in terms of quality, although I gravitate towards season 5 personally. Never really noticed this second half season 7 dip, it's all quality to me.

I agree that season 8 is a step below in quality to those, although it's still very much brilliant. Season 9 is another step below, but I still consider it part of the golden age. Despite this "dip", every episode is still so watchable in these two seasons, even the Skinner imposter one (which I never understood the hate for, it seems pretty obvious they were spoofing soap operas). I don't really remember there being a bad episode in seasons 1-9. They started happening in season 10.

I also love all the love for season 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:21 pm 

I don't think season 2 was bad by any means, and I'd include it in the "golden years," I just think season three was when it really solidified its place in the "best of all time" club. I may be wrong though, there are so many seasons now that it's hard to keep track of which episodes happened when.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:26 pm 

batman wrote:
I don't think season 2 was bad by any means, and I'd include it in the "golden years," I just think season three was when it really solidified its place in the "best of all time" club. I may be wrong though, there are so many seasons now that it's hard to keep track of which episodes happened when.

I suggest you go back and watch Season 2 because I thought the same thing recently, but I watched the season again and it certainly belongs alongside the greats.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:37 pm 

Hang wrote:
batman wrote:

I suggest you go back and watch Season 2 because I thought the same thing recently, but I watched the season again and it certainly belongs alongside the greats.

I would echo this. That's exactly the same thing that happened to me. It wasn't until I recently got the DVDs boxsets and started watching them as series rather than as individual episodes and roughly knowing what series they were from until I realised just how good series 2 is. Like you I used to think it was the "development series," but it really isn't, it's the fully fledged real deal and like Stephen says is probably the series that has the most heart out of any of them.

It is imo absolutely the series in which it really solidifies itself in the "best of all-time" before series 3.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:25 am 

Even season 1 is pretty damn good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:45 am 

Eh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:15 pm 

Season 4 has all the cliche landmark episodes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:47 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Eh.

Still some great laughs and great moments. It's not fully formed, both character wise and animation wise, but I like watching something great in it's embyronic stage. I also think the Tracy Ullman shorts are pretty fine too. Certainly I'd rather watch the shorts and Season 1 than most Simpson episodes past season 12 or so/Family Guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:56 pm 

Georgi wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
Eh.

Still some great laughs and great moments. It's not fully formed, both character wise and animation wise, but I like watching something great in it's embyronic stage. I also think the Tracy Ullman shorts are pretty fine too. Certainly I'd rather watch the shorts and Season 1 than most Simpson episodes past season 12 or so/Family Guy.

I'm pretty sure I'd take season 1 of the Simpsons over any season of Family Guy without thinking twice. Mind you, I've never watched a full season of Family Guy but I'm not at all a fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:57 pm 

Around what season do you think The Simpsons started to get worse?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:20 pm 

Timitzii wrote:
Around what season do you think The Simpsons started to get worse?

This was seriously just answered on the last page.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 28  Next