It is currently Wed May 06, 2015 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top Gear
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:32 pm 

This thread is worth a shot: Its one of the most popular shows worldwide (including the US, where aside from "Doctor Who", its the most popular show on BBC America). I think we might get some discussion going here.

I like it alot, and i'm not even really a car person.

Post subject: Re: Top Gear
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:27 am 

The American adaption couldn't have gone down worse.

It looks similar but I really don't know what they were thinking. It's never going to be as good or have the interesting firsts/journeys that the UK version had... and the new hosts are really, really gay.

The UK Version is great though... it's the only show on BBC-A I'll watch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:50 pm 

you mean you're not a Doctor Who fan?

Yeah, I watched the first American Top Gear episode and it was so bad. One of the big problems with it is that that one of its sponsors is Mercedes Benz, so exactly how can it be unbiased review show when its getting money from a car company.

The new hosts all seem like idiots, some of the "previews" seemed to show blatant remakes of original Top Gear challenges (drive your car when its full of water! beat skiiers down a hill!) which I just know will pale in comparison with the originals.

The two things I like the most on Top Gear are "the three hosts drive three shitty old cars from point A to point B and do challenges along the way" and "host vs. 1 (or both) of the other hosts in a race to point X", because you get that so-called "self-indulgent mucking about" that makes the original so endearing and watchable to those of us who aren't even car nerds.

I mean, i'm gonna give it maybe a few episodes to completely call it off as shit (but I suspect its going to be terrible anyway). When Top Gear came back in its current format in 2002, it took at least a year to it to become what it is now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:46 pm 

piper wrote:
you mean you're not a Doctor Who fan?

I haven't seen enough Doctor Who to judge, and it looks good for the type of show it is, but I just have no interest in that kind of series.

Quote:
Yeah, I watched the first American Top Gear episode and it was so bad. One of the big problems with it is that that one of its sponsors is Mercedes Benz, so exactly how can it be unbiased review show when its getting money from a car company

That all depends on how they represent their direct competitors... but MB's history pretty much speaks for itself. Still though, the UK version has a bit of a UK bias, even if it is usually used as part of a joke.

Quote:
The new hosts all seem like idiots, some of the "previews" seemed to show blatant remakes of original Top Gear challenges (drive your car when its full of water! beat skiiers down a hill!) which I just know will pale in comparison with the originals.

True.

Quote:
The two things I like the most on Top Gear are "the three hosts drive three shitty old cars from point A to point B and do challenges along the way" and "host vs. 1 (or both) of the other hosts in a race to point X", because you get that so-called "self-indulgent mucking about" that makes the original so endearing and watchable to those of us who aren't even car nerds.

That pretty much sums it up. As repetitive as it is, they keep it interesting via setting/scenario/etc. The reason that I KNOW that they aren't going to top episodes like the one in South America or the Artic is because even if they did find something original to do like that, they don't have the personalities to make it funny AND impressive.

Quote:
I mean, i'm gonna give it maybe a few episodes to completely call it off as shit (but I suspect its going to be terrible anyway). When Top Gear came back in its current format in 2002, it took at least a year to it to become what it is now.

I wrote it off already, for the most part. The hosts really killed it for me. The only aspect so far that i like is that they are doing different vehicles/more lesser known trims as opposed to the Uk version mostly just doing that with every bugatti veyron, but besides that they don't seem to have much to offer, and even that is something that requires someone who appreciates the cars themselves, and that's really a small part of what makes top gear good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:03 pm 

also, this US version overexplains and repeats everything, as if everyone watching has no clue what they're on about. I think they explained which part of their track was the slowest about 5 times in 20 minutes. And the fellow who's doing the interviews before their version of Star in a Reasonably Priced Car seems to have no guest rapport at all, that interview with Buzz Aldrin seemed really awkward.

It's definitely never going to be as good as the UK version.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:06 pm 

with the UK version so popular worldwide, was the american remake even necessary? i hope that clarkson has something to say about this when the show starts again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:11 pm 

You're guess is as good as mine, especially with the popularity of the show on BBC America. We get episodes of the UK Top Gear a few months after when they air in the UK (as opposed to about 2 weeks for Doctor Who episodes), and like Doctor Who they're shown "uncut" (that is they still have commercials in them, but nothing from the original airing is cut for time because they have to shove 20 minutes in. Instead they're shown in weird 80 minute blocks) on the first few airings on BBCA.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:01 pm 

they made an australian version of it. you can only imagine what it's like.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:28 pm 

well, the US Top Gear finally did a "the three hosts drive three shitty cars from point A to point B and do challenges along the way" segment and it was OK, not as good as any of the original's segments, but it was at least vaguely watchable. These three buffoons certainly do not have the chemistry of Clarkson/May/Hammond. I really don't see this lasting too long. Reruns of the original are destroying this new one in ratings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:47 am 

eh, i think the older top gear series suffered from the same thing. i don't think Clarkson and Wilson ever had that much chemistry. Quentin Wilson is much better doing his own thing, anyway. Lest we forget, the UK tv series has had 33 years to get the formula right, and clarkson has been presenting it for over 20 now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:05 pm 

Current Format of Top Gear>>>>>Original Format of Top Gear.

The original format of Top Gear was more magazine-oriented and not as entertaining to viewers that aren't car nerds. I think i've only seen a few episodes of the original, all from when Clarkson was on it.

They're so different, I consider the original and the 2002-present series two different shows entirely, albeit one with a shared history.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:35 am 

I'm quite aware. I've been watching Top Gear for 16 years.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:25 am 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
I like Top Gear. I also like 5th Gear, but I don't watch either that much anymore cuz they are not on my cable package currently. I like Tiff and Vicki alot (from 5th Gear). Quentin I can take or leave. And I like James, Hammond and Clarkson in that order. I like CarTalk (npr radio) too. We have Ferrari World in Abu. It's open now I think...? Wanna come stay with me? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOH2464YD6s

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:29 am 

Yeah 5th Gear is pretty good and I love Tiff Needell.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:21 am 

Location: I avoid cultural appropriation by only listening to white music
Don't watch the show but the SNES games are awesome.