It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 65  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:10 pm
Posts: 233
corrections wrote:
IamtheLaw382 wrote:


FUCK! Damn April 1 can't come soon enough.


No doubt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:42 pm
Posts: 8131
Watched the entire first season yesterday and this morning. I cannot wait for April 1st.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 5330
i bought season 1 on blu ray yesterday really impulsively, since i don't own a blu ray player. hopefully i'll be motivated to get one soon, and a tv.

i walked by peter dinklage coming out of barnes and noble at union square a few months ago and could hardly conceal my excitement. the girl i was walking with hadn't heard of the books or show and didn't understand why i got really excited at the sight of a dwarf.

i can't decide if i want to watch it every week or hold out until it's finished and watch it in 1 day in june. i'll probably end up doing both.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:42 pm
Posts: 8131
I really love this show. The action is very well done, believable and not over the top or cheesy. The same can be said of the "magical" elements of the show.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:48 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm
Posts: 23869
Jess wrote:
i bought season 1 on blu ray yesterday really impulsively, since i don't own a blu ray player. hopefully i'll be motivated to get one soon, and a tv.

i walked by peter dinklage coming out of barnes and noble at union square a few months ago and could hardly conceal my excitement. the girl i was walking with hadn't heard of the books or show and didn't understand why i got really excited at the sight of a dwarf.

i can't decide if i want to watch it every week or hold out until it's finished and watch it in 1 day in june. i'll probably end up doing both.


I think there is strong advantage to pacing to take it just one week at a time for the first view (which is why I'm holding off on the books). Otherwise you have the problem of potentially taking it too fast.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:21 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:22 pm
Posts: 6879
Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
^ amen. Made it that much more rewarding when I did sit down and watch the entire season in one day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 5330
god damn dance with dragons is getting really intriguing. i can't believe it's rated so poorly on amazon. i think people are just pissy that it took forever to come out and what they speculated would occur has yet to occur, while it's actually a really good addition to the series. also critics loved it. it's weird how divided critics and fans are on this one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 5330
corrections wrote:
Jess wrote:
i bought season 1 on blu ray yesterday really impulsively, since i don't own a blu ray player. hopefully i'll be motivated to get one soon, and a tv.

i walked by peter dinklage coming out of barnes and noble at union square a few months ago and could hardly conceal my excitement. the girl i was walking with hadn't heard of the books or show and didn't understand why i got really excited at the sight of a dwarf.

i can't decide if i want to watch it every week or hold out until it's finished and watch it in 1 day in june. i'll probably end up doing both.


I think there is strong advantage to pacing to take it just one week at a time for the first view (which is why I'm holding off on the books). Otherwise you have the problem of potentially taking it too fast.
i'm going to do that. can't wait 3 months.

i thought my mac would play blu ray. doh. oh well, i downloaded season 1 again and i'm starting today. it's going to become like lord of the rings for me. 10 hours of awesome that i can watch over and over again.

i really hope the show makes martin hurry his ass up and write the last 2 books because 1) even more people than his old pre-hbo readership will be pissed if they aren't done by the time the show catches up with the books and 2) he's going to die, and if he pulls a robert jordan, his surviving family best change their names and move somewhere far away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:40 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:22 pm
Posts: 6879
Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Unlike Jordan though, his work is quality :sad:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:49 pm
Posts: 1819
I've actually never read Wheel of Time series.

I have read some of the Sword of Truth series, which is excellent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 5330
Sherick wrote:
Unlike Jordan though, his work is quality :sad:

all the more he musn't die


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:00 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:30 pm
Posts: 10992
Location: Nottingham, UK
Jess wrote:
i really hope the show makes martin hurry his ass up and write the last 2 books because 1) even more people than his old pre-hbo readership will be pissed if they aren't done by the time the show catches up with the books


Martin never seems to have show that much concern over making his fanbase wait. In fact there seems to be a strong correlation between the size of his fanbase and the length of time it takes to write the next book in the series. We had to wait 5 years for A Feast For Crows and 6 for a Dance With Dragons all the while he was chatting on his blog about the Superbowl.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 5330
Forgotten Son wrote:
Jess wrote:
i really hope the show makes martin hurry his ass up and write the last 2 books because 1) even more people than his old pre-hbo readership will be pissed if they aren't done by the time the show catches up with the books


Martin never seems to have show that much concern over making his fanbase wait. In fact there seems to be a strong correlation between the size of his fanbase and the length of time it takes to write the next book in the series. We had to wait 5 years for A Feast For Crows and 6 for a Dance With Dragons all the while he was chatting on his blog about the Superbowl.

i know, and it sucks. i think the main catalyst now will be the show. if there's a 4 or 5 year period where it's off the air because he hasn't felt like writing much, more than just his fanbase will be pissed. it will also fuck up the characters, because arya's actress is going to be 20 when she's supposed to look 11. emilia clarke will be a 30 year old playing a 15 year old. i think he may have discussed this with hbo, and agreed that if they started the show in 2011, he would be able get out the last 2 books before the show caught up. or else i doubt hbo would have agreed to begin it last year.

minor spoileri think the last 2 books were a huge challenge though, more than the first 3, since he had to split the narrative so carefully and couldn't figure out how much to include, and when to pick up where feast left off. i know with dance he did a jillion rewrites. with that out of the way i think he will be able to write the narrative a little more swiftly. i hope.


Last edited by Jess on Sat May 12, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:49 am
Posts: 4372
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Mark my words, WoW will not take 5 years to come out. It will take 3.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:22 pm
Posts: 5330
yeah i'm thinking jk rowling length time between books now.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 972 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 65  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page