DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 970 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:21 pm 

corrections wrote:
The they might come back implies to me that it may have been Bolton's bastard and his men who burned it (although possibly wildlings but I doubt it). And I agree on the implication of the accepted terms of surrender. It suggests to me that it wasn't the Iron Islanders who burned it because they didn't touch the gods' wood (although I guess it is harder to torch a thriving grove). I did know that Bolton's bastard was the one outside.

At first I thought the Iron Islanders may have taken one of the hidden ways out of the city, but this seems unlikely after they leave Luwin for dead. They had to have encountered Bolton's bastard outside of the city walls if it was truly surrounded. Maybe they traded Theon for a free ride to their ships?

According to HBO's website the next season comes out in less than a year. I have a lot of reading to do :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:44 pm 

I hope the new season comes right away :D

I love her :shark: :dance:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:46 pm 

you should let her know how you feel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:17 am 

So who deserves nominations out of their performance in the show? I'd say Dinklage should be a shoo-in for best actor. I'd say Charles Dance could make a very reasonable case for best supporting actor (although he may not have gotten enough screen time). And I'd say Maisie Williams makes a reasonable case for best supporting actress.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:59 am 

lena headey! she was phenomenal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:57 pm 

Only care for Dinklage.. Maybe because i love the character so much..

Gotta admit i was kinda disappointed with second season, apart from two great episodes in the end (or well, Blackwater was great, the finale was just a fuck of a cliff-hanger).. I feel like it was a bit much pulling the audience through screen time for every single character in the show, each episode (apart from Blackwater, which was great, I like Blackwater, Blackwater was a great episode).. Also there were more.. uninteresting stuff, compared to season 1.. Unless season 3 is more exciting (which it may seem it will, but then again, season 1 had a cliff-hanger too..), if Tyrion dies, I don't know what I will do with the show..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:02 pm 

Well said.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:40 pm 

Hendrix wrote:
Only care for Dinklage.. Maybe because i love the character so much..

Gotta admit i was kinda disappointed with second season, apart from two great episodes in the end (or well, Blackwater was great, the finale was just a fuck of a cliff-hanger).. I feel like it was a bit much pulling the audience through screen time for every single character in the show, each episode (apart from Blackwater, which was great, I like Blackwater, Blackwater was a great episode).. Also there were more.. uninteresting stuff, compared to season 1.. Unless season 3 is more exciting (which it may seem it will, but then again, season 1 had a cliff-hanger too..), if Tyrion dies, I don't know what I will do with the show..

Well then you're missing some of the best parts of the show. The show is a very long unfolding epic. It ends on a cliffhanger because the story isn't done (actually last season was only a cliffhanger in the bare sense that there was a lot more to come). The Season apparently cut several characters they thought would be too much to introduce at one time. I thought they struck the perfect balance. The structure is very similar to the Wire in that it asks the viewer to follow and track the characters over time and so long as you have a reasonable ability to hold material in your head you shouldn't struggle to follow it. Rare was the scene I felt not useful in this season. In the end it was probably slightly less strong than Season 1 (although the two "worst" episodes of the show were probably the first two in Season 1). Season one felt a bit more evenly paced but that also helped because the characters were more concentrated in location. Now that they're scattered it makes perfect sense and I think drawing in the focus even more would remove much of the shows strength.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:48 pm 

Well, to be honest I'm probably underrating the season to some extent, seeing that i actually found most episodes to be good. It just bugs me a bit that there wasn't more great ones, cuz I think season 1 had plenty of greats.. Maybe some distant re-watch will do it more honor..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:49 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
I liked the second episode of the first season because it established Tyrion's character.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:54 pm 

Jess wrote:
lena headey! she was phenomenal.

Agreed. I'm almost don with the first book and I think they did an excellent job with the casting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:24 pm 

she's way cooler in the show. in the book her pov chapters get tedious and she always just seems like a conniving bitch. the show makes her more human and her scenes are more diverse and rangy in what they reveal about her.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:29 pm 

corrections wrote:
The structure is very similar to the Wire in that it asks the viewer to follow and track the characters over time and so long as you have a reasonable ability to hold material in your head you shouldn't struggle to follow it.

Except if you look at The Wire on a single-episode basis each installment did have its own story with a beginning, middle and end, within a season that had its own beginning, middle and end. Game of Thrones had a couple episodes this year that were purely about moving the pieces around (episode 8 was one for sure, and really dragged as a result) and the season as a whole really felt like Part 1 of 2 in a way that last year didn't.

Quote:
Now that they're scattered it makes perfect sense and I think drawing in the focus even more would remove much of the shows strength.

You don't think Blackwater was the best episode of the season? I thought it was, by a wide margin, because it was so tightly focused.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:34 pm 

Jess wrote:
you should let her know how you feel

I have! I've sent her like 7 letters, telling her how much I love her and how beautiful she is. How we should meet and that I would go visit her some day soon. Oddly, there has been no response. Maybe she still doesn't receive them. Damn postal service.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:15 pm 

Johnny wrote:
I hope the new season comes right away :D

I love her :shark: :dance:

You're weird.

corrections wrote:
Well then you're missing some of the best parts of the show. The show is a very long unfolding epic. It ends on a cliffhanger because the story isn't done (actually last season was only a cliffhanger in the bare sense that there was a lot more to come). The Season apparently cut several characters they thought would be too much to introduce at one time. I thought they struck the perfect balance. The structure is very similar to the Wire in that it asks the viewer to follow and track the characters over time and so long as you have a reasonable ability to hold material in your head you shouldn't struggle to follow it. Rare was the scene I felt not useful in this season. In the end it was probably slightly less strong than Season 1 (although the two "worst" episodes of the show were probably the first two in Season 1). Season one felt a bit more evenly paced but that also helped because the characters were more concentrated in location. Now that they're scattered it makes perfect sense and I think drawing in the focus even more would remove much of the shows strength.

Well said corrections. From the standpoint of a fan of the books, once one gets over the initial shock of characters you love not appearing or getting less time to develop, one can see how carefully things have been trimmed down. Like with the books the focus might shift from something more action pact to comparatively more mundane affairs of another character but in doing so they're setting up important events later down the line. No moment is wasted in the TV show. Given the source material they've had the complete opposite problem, with so many characters and so much information to cram into 10 hours they've done an admirable job. As a bonus the changes they've necessarily made have kept things interesting as, even though I know the key events, they unfold differently.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 970 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 65  Next