It is currently Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: General Animation Discussion
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:49 pm 

It just occurred to me that being born anywhere from the late 80s to the early 90s was probably the sweet spot for growing up with great American cartoons. Within your lifetime get the whole creator-driven cycle from Nickolodeon and Cartoon Network (all due respect to certain shows on the Disney Channel), Cartoon Network programming more great classic cartoons than have ever been on TV, The Simpsons bringing adult-oriented cartoons into the mainstream, and then when you grow up you have Adult Swim and Adventure Time waiting for you.

Post subject: Re: General Animation Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:20 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Fuckin' cartoons man. Just, fuckin' cartoons.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:13 am 

So much great unrecognized animation hiding away on youtube.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:59 pm 

You guys suck at this thread.

This cartoon is in a stretched aspect ratio but it is awesome:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:45 pm 

You suck at watching recs

Anyway, off the top of my head, shows that I've seen at least a season of:

Absolute favourites:
The Simpsons
Venture Bros
Adventure Time

Slightly below:
The Life and Times of Tim (one of the most hilarious shows ever that nobody seems to have watched and man I wish it wasn't cancelled)
Rick and Morty (this will likely rise when season 2 begins. More people need to get on this cos it's the most inventive and funny show since Adventure Time)

Very good:
Archer (sometimes I love it and the writing is near unparalleled and then on occasion the show is aimless and not funny and tries to compensate by being loud, but I like it a lot for the most part)
Gravity Falls (I feel like this is a younger brother to AT, only far more narrative driven)

Good:
Bob's Burgers
Regular Show
South Park
Futurama
Metalocalypse

The top 5 are all pretty tight far as ranking

Last edited by Quinnsy Lohan on Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:46 pm 

Quinnsy Lohan wrote:

:lol: Sorry

I did start The Venture Bros. Does it get better? I thought the first two episodes were okay but not amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:16 pm 

Believe it or not The Disney Channel is picking up in quality when it comes to their cartoons, aside from Gravity Falls there's also Craig McCracken's new show Wander Over Yonder which is one of the best looking animated shows I've seen in some time, I love how it's basically one big homage to Ward Kimball's 50s animation style.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:51 pm 

Dreww wrote:
Quinnsy Lohan wrote:

:lol: Sorry

I did start The Venture Bros. Does it get better? I thought the first two episodes were okay but not amazing.

Absolutely. The quality improves so substantially as it realizes itself and becomes far more than just a Johnny Quest parody. The first season is good and has some crack up scenes, but it's almost another show in itself when it really starts to broaden its narrative and characters

Please watch The Life and Times of Tim, too. Almost like The Office in terms of awkwardness and hilarity, though in situations that'd be completely unbelievable (though set in the 'real' world) if it weren't for the title character's generally well intentioned, though passive, actions or lack of

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:15 am 

The Quinnspiracy wrote:
The Life and Times of Tim, too. Almost like The Office in terms of awkwardness and hilarity

sssssssold

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:48 am 

I remember checking out Life and Times of Tim. Appropriately, it was basically about myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:38 am 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnnCv_SvahdkgXDxqy7BTkQ
http://www.awn.com/animationworld/max-l ... -the-broom
http://vimeo.com/90957237 gruffalo 2009

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:20 pm 

Might be a silly, vague question but what exactly makes good animation? Perhaps there's some book or lesson where I can learn to recognize what is technically great animation? I know there's many forms of animation in service of its respective stories, but what should I be looking for when people say, "the animation was amazing"? Is it fluidity in motion, which I assume the more fluid the more work was put into it. And/or maybe detail, since again more work was put into it.

It's a world I feel very lost when it comes to knowledge and even more so with computer animation (ie Pixar), which I generally don't know how much work goes into them. I'm always like, well they drew it on a computer or they generated images by crunching in specs or something, so the computer did it for them, how hard can that be? I'm sure there's more that goes into it, but to me it seems less daunting than handdrawn animation that's fluid and sometimes manic (ie old Disney, Looney Tunes, etc.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:41 pm 

Location: "He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season ... 09456.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:17 am 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
Might be a silly, vague question but what exactly makes good animation? Perhaps there's some book or lesson where I can learn to recognize what is technically great animation? I know there's many forms of animation in service of its respective stories, but what should I be looking for when people say, "the animation was amazing"? Is it fluidity in motion, which I assume the more fluid the more work was put into it. And/or maybe detail, since again more work was put into it.

It's a world I feel very lost when it comes to knowledge and even more so with computer animation (ie Pixar), which I generally don't know how much work goes into them. I'm always like, well they drew it on a computer or they generated images by crunching in specs or something, so the computer did it for them, how hard can that be? I'm sure there's more that goes into it, but to me it seems less daunting than handdrawn animation that's fluid and sometimes manic (ie old Disney, Looney Tunes, etc.)

Haha. I don't know. When people say "the animation was amazing" different people at different levels of understanding, and with different aesthetic biases can mean different things. For me it can mean a lot of different things depending on what it is. As for understanding why something like Pixar is impressive, idk. Definitely not that easy. It involves a whole stage of drawing first. Not to mention the computer program that generates the movement and renders everything is hard as fuck and takes a lot of artistry to create. If you get the blu ray of Finding Nemo (which everyone with a br player should own) some of the special features do a good job of showing the work that goes into that kind of animation, but even that is rather brief and you have to infer a lot of the difficulty. This shit is not just a computer doing things. Look how human and expressive a lot of this is. Think about all the thought that had to go into making movement look realistic within water. This is NOT just them filming water. It's so good that you forget it. They had to take into account all kinds of physics shit to make that actually look like fish in water. It makes my brain hurt to think how it was even possible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:20 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Anpass wrote:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html

They almost always vote Disney/Pixar, no matter what; most likely that's the only one they even bother to watch. Explains this year.