DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ridley Scott
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:30 pm 

Location: the south is a shithole from which no human decency can escape
The worst films I've seen from him are GI Jane (you can probably guess the one thing I liked about it) and Hannibal.

I was pretty excited about seeing what Ridley would do with the Hannibal character too, but man, he replaced the great pacing, building tension and mystery from Lambs with nonstop gore and violence so absurd it could have come from an Itchy & Scratchy cartoon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:38 pm 

Yeah, Hannibal was just fucking awful. I prefer Red Dragon to that, and Red Dragon was directed by Brett Ratner. BRETT RATNER!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:04 pm 

Oh c'mon, Brett Ratner isn't THAT bad.

His films are generally full of hollywood cliches, and the guy sure is punchable looking, but his better films like Family Man and Red Dragon are at least redeemed by good performances. I confess to liking the first Rush Hour, it was goofy escapist fun. I can't think of a movie he's done that was REALLY bad.

He's a mediocre director at best. I definitely don't consider him one of the absolute worst like a lot of people do, when guys like Roland Emmerich and Paul WS Anderson are still around? Are you kidding me?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:45 am 

Hannibal is good and, aside from the ending, pretty close to Thomas Harris' book. There's no more violence in it than Silence of the Lambs or Red Dragon. What's "wall to wall violence" about it? I'd go so far as to say Hannibal my favourite of the trilogy. This is mostly down to a fanservice thing. I just love seeing/reading Hannibal Lecter being a complete badass.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:46 pm 

My favourite is probably Manhunter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:46 pm 

Forgotten Son wrote:
Hannibal is good and, aside from the ending, pretty close to Thomas Harris' book. There's no more violence in it than Silence of the Lambs or Red Dragon. What's "wall to wall violence" about it? I'd go so far as to say Hannibal my favourite of the trilogy. This is mostly down to a fanservice thing. I just love seeing/reading Hannibal Lecter being a complete badass.

Maybe if you're comparing the books, I'm talking about the movies. The only gory moments in Lambs was Hannibal's escape scene, Buffalo Bill's skin suit, the finger nail in the well and the scene when Clarice finds the severed head. But none of those scenes were really THAT gory. The most graphic scene was still the scene when Clarice gets jizzed on. Much of the real horror in that film had to do with the performances, pacing and direction, I definitely believe the "what you don't see is scarier" philosophy worked in that movie, gore was only used when it advanced the story.

Hannibal was just a bunch of nonstop gore, coupled with a plot that hardly made any sense, it just became mind numbing and desensitizing, by the time it got to the brain scene, I was laughing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:33 am 

boo boo wrote:
Hannibal was just a bunch of nonstop gore, coupled with a plot that hardly made any sense, it just became mind numbing and desensitizing, by the time it got to the brain scene, I was laughing.

You memory is faulty. There are a handful of hardly gory scenes. The shootout at the beginning, the killing of the pickpocket, the killing of Hannibal's persuers, the death of Mason Verger and the scene at the end. All are spread out throughout the film, so it can hardly be considered wall to wall gore. The only scenes where you really see anything are the murder of the Italian Detective, mirroring the engravings Hannibal was talking to him about, and the "brain scene", which I feel is supposed to macabre in its absurdity.

As for the plot hardly making sense, what's so difficult about understanding it. Hannibal has fled to Europe, after an FBI operation goes bad Clarice Starling is demoted to the effort to track him down. Meanwhile Mason Verger is also trying to track him down so that he can get revenge for what Lecter did to him. You know the rest. What doesn't make sense?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:14 pm 

Forgotten Son wrote:
boo boo wrote:

You memory is faulty. There are a handful of hardly gory scenes. The shootout at the beginning, the killing of the pickpocket, the killing of Hannibal's persuers, the death of Mason Verger and the scene at the end. All are spread out throughout the film, so it can hardly be considered wall to wall gore. The only scenes where you really see anything are the murder of the Italian Detective, mirroring the engravings Hannibal was talking to him about, and the "brain scene", which I feel is supposed to macabre in its absurdity.

As for the plot hardly making sense, what's so difficult about understanding it. Hannibal has fled to Europe, after an FBI operation goes bad Clarice Starling is demoted to the effort to track him down. Meanwhile Mason Verger is also trying to track him down so that he can get revenge for what Lecter did to him. You know the rest. What doesn't make sense?

yeah i have to agree on this. Hannibal is my favourite along with Red Dragon. The trilogy is very good actually.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:52 pm 
Master of the Universe 2008

1979 Alien 8
1982 Blade Runner 10
1985 Legend 8 THIS MOVIE RULES, FUCK YEAH JON ANDERSON!
1991 Thelma & Louise 6
1997 G.I. Jane 4
2000 Gladiator 6
2001 Hannibal 5
2001 Black Hawk Down 6
2003 Matchstick Men 5
2005 Kingdom of Heaven 6
2006 All The Invisible Children Never even heard of dis shit
2007 American Gangster 5
2008 Body of Lies 5
2010 Robin Hood 3

Last edited by Chemical Ali on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:57 pm 

1979 Alien 8
1982 Blade Runner 8
1991 Thelma & Louise 6
2003 Matchstick Men 6
2005 Kingdom of Heaven 5
2007 American Gangster 5

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:59 pm 

Alien: 9
Blade Runner: 10
Legend: 8
Thelma & Louise: 7
White Squall: 6
GI Jane: 4
Gladiator: 8
Hannibal: 3
Black Hawk Down: 7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:23 am 

1979 Alien 8
1982 Blade Runner 9
1991 Thelma & Louise 6
2000 Gladiator 8
2001 Hannibal 8
2001 Black Hawk Down 7
2005 Kingdom of Heaven 5
2007 American Gangster 9
2010 Robin Hood 4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:14 am 

Alien 8
Blade runner 10
Black rain 5
Gladiator 9
Kingdom of heaven dir.cut 8
Matchstick men 7
Body of lies 7
American gangster 7
Hanibal 7
Black hawk down 6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:48 pm 

1979 Alien 9.0
1982 Blade Runner 10.0
1991 Thelma & Louise *
1997 G.I. Jane 5.2
2000 Gladiator 8.0
2001 Hannibal 6.4
2001 Black Hawk Down 7.7
2005 Kingdom of Heaven *
2007 American Gangster 7.3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:09 pm 

FINALLY saw Blade Runner for the first time. I thought it was a great film, although Ford’s voice over narration is completely unnecessary and out of place. My money right now is going towards Ford’s character being human and not a replicant.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next