DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Andrei Tarkovsky
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:09 pm 

ANDREI TARKOVSKY
(1932-1986), Russian

"In the entire history of cinema there has never been a director, who has made such a dramatic stand for the human spirit as did Andrei Tarkovsky. Today, when cinema seems to have drowned in a sea of glamorized triviality, when human relationships on screen have been reduced to sexual intrigue or sloppy sentimentality, and baseness rules the day - this man appears as a lone warrior standing in the midst of this cinematic catastrophe, holding up the banner for human spirituality."
-Cinemaseekers

"My discovery of Tarkovsky's first film was like a miracle. Suddenly, I found myself standing at the door of a room the keys of which had, until then, never been given to me. It was a room I had always wanted to enter and where he was moving freely and fully at ease. I felt encouraged and stimulated: someone was expressing what I had always wanted to say without knowing how.Tarkovsky is for me the greatest, the one who invented a new language, true to the nature of film, as it captures life as a reflection, life as a dream."
-Ingmar Bergman

"I personally think that the three greatest tasks for film in the 20th century are (1) To make the epic, that is to tell the tales of the tribes of the world. (2) To keep it personal, because only in the eccentricities of our personal lives do we have any chances at the truth. (3) To do the dream work, that is, to illuminate the borders of the unconscious. The only film maker I know that does all these three things equally in every film he makes is Andrei Tarkovsky, and that's why I think he's the greatest living narrative film maker."
-Stan Brakhage

"His unusual sensitivity is both overwhelming and astounding. It almost reaches a pathological intensity."
- Akira Kurosawa

"My purpose is to make films that will help people to live, even if they sometimes cause unhappiness."

"If the vision of the world that has gone into the film turns out to be one that other people recognize as a part of themselves that up till now has never been given expression, what better motivation could there be for one's work."

"For me the most interesting characters are outwardly static, but inwardly charged with energy by an overriding passion."

-Andrei Tarkovsky

FILMOGRAPHY
1961 Steamroller and the Violin
1962 Ivan's Childhood
1966 Andrei Rublev
1972 Solaris
1975 Mirror
1979 Stalker
1983 Nostalghia
1986 Sacrifice

Recommended First Watch: Stalker

Post subject: Re: Andrei Tarkovsky
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:32 pm 

I really hope the old forum doesn't get deleted because that 20 page Tarkovsky will be a priceless resource to go back the more Tarkovsky I watch.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:05 pm 

The old forum won't be deleted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:16 pm 

i actually would like to see that thread deleted, its shelf life is just about over anyway... we can discuss anything and everything here... have any seen anything since ivan's childhood, georgi? i thought it was an excellent idea to watch tarkovsky movies with your dad.

Andrei Tarkovsky wrote:
Q: Is "the logic of the subject" the same as the plot of the film?

A: In my films, the story itself is never particularly important. The real significance in my works have never been expressed through the plot of the films. I attempt to speak about what is significant, but without unnecessary distractions. By showing certain things that are not necessarily joined at the purely logical level. It is the stirring of thoughts within that conjoins them for us, in the inner man.

"Q: Would you say, then, that what is important to you is the emotions that you communicate in your films, and not the stories being told themselves?

A: I am often asked what this or that means in my films. It's terrible! An artist does not have to answer for his purposes. I do not harbor any particularly deep or profound thoughts about my own work. I simply have no idea what my symbols represent. The only thing I am after is for them to give birth to certain emotions. Whatever feelings emerge based on your response from within.

One always tries to discover concealed meaning in my work. But wouldn't it be strange to make a film and at the same time try to hide one's thoughts? My images mean nothing beyond what they are.... We don't know ourselves very well; sometimes we just give expression to forces that cannot be measured in conventional ways."

from http://www.ucalgary.ca/~tstronds/nostal ... hmann.html

Stan Brakhage, on seeing Nostalghia for the first time...
"When I stumbled out [of the movie theater], it was like a religious conversion, but unlike a religious convert, I was absolutely free. I didn't have to believe in something or sign anything and I don't know what the religion is except humanitarianism in the deepest sense."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:38 am 

I haven't unfortunately, George. I wanted to go through all his films chronologically but I guess I didn't work up to courage to tackle Rublev. Now I'm at uni, so I won't be able to watch anything with my dad until Christmas. What I'll think I'll do soon though is sit down with one of his shorter films I haven't seen yet - I'm thinking Mirror or Nostalghia.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:13 am 

Should I post the recent discussion George and I had about Stalker here?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:32 am 

Mirror and Stalker are two of the next 5 movies i plan to watch. mainly because discussing his work (which ive done very little here because quite frankly i used to be intimidated intellectually by the discussion about him here, which is at times brilliant) is like discussing Shakespeare or Picasso or Wagner, where you can just go on for days and days about one work. and thats just only after seeing Rublev and Solaris.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:02 am 

andrei with the mad face folds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:20 am 

looking forward to seeing your reaction to them, lord pavan.

nothing intellectually intimidating here, just a bunch of teenagers trying to sound like phds... thing is, i have a rather personal relationship with his movies, because they've both influenced my thought and influenced my life too, at least in subtle ways, but, when you don't want to discuss that, what's there left to talk about.... discussion of aesthetics, philosophies, social/historical contexts, and other supposedly more objective things... which often ends up sounding like more than it really is (-:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:22 am 

George wrote:
just a bunch of teenagers trying to sound like phds

:handball:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:07 pm 

i just realized i have a ton of free time with nothing to do and dvd copies of stalker, nostalghia and the mirror that i haven't seen yet. i will be getting on that later today hopefully.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:56 pm 

Dreww wrote:
George wrote:
just a bunch of teenagers trying to sound like phds

:handball:

:zoid:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:07 pm 

I don't know if this makes me crazy but I've taken to simply watching Stalker without the subtitles. I pretty much have the general idea of what's being said down (and the general idea is all that you can really get from the subtitles anyway) and I find it to be a much more rewarding experience this way because I feel I'm really entering into a relationship with what's going on on-screen rather than being distracted by syntactical errors. Once you already have the basic idea of the characters down and what's being said at different points of the film, I highly recommend all Tarkovsky fans do this.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:08 pm 

Having seen Solaris and really enjoying it, is Stalker the next logical step, George?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:36 pm 

it's logical to watch it because stalker is a great movie... but the two aren't any more or less thematically or aesthetically connected than any of his other movies

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next