DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Directors you plan to dig into/dig more into
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:03 pm 

I feel there's a certain allure to directors when they make enough films that catch your attention. Whether or not that's the case for you, discuss the filmmakers that have caught your eye recently.

Post subject: Re: Directors you plan to dig into/dig more into
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:15 am 

ugghghhh truffaut + tarkovsky + fellini <333

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:17 am 

Abbas Kiarostami
Kenji Mizoguchi
Masaki Kobayashi
Yasujiro Ozu
Robert Bresson
Roberto Rosselini
Luchino Visconti
Federico Fellini
Apichatpong Weerasethakul
Leo McCarey
Ernst Lubitsch
Satyajit Ray
Michelangelo Antonioni
Rainer Werner Fassbinder
Werner Herzog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:45 am 

been getting into Nicholas Ray and man, what a fantastic director!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:45 pm 

I've been meaning to delve into Mike Leigh's filmography for many months now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:35 pm 

Do it. Not a bad film in the bunch imo (although I prefer his earlier stuff on the whole).

Edit: And really wanta you too should definitely check out more of Leigh's work. A lot of it is quite Ozu-influenced. Check out Life is Sweet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:22 pm 

wantabodylikeme wrote:

Like which ones? I've seen Rebel, In A Lonely Place, On Dangerous Ground, Bigger Than Life and Johnny Guitar. What else do you redommend? I'm waiting on a DVD of The Savage Innocents which is in the mail, I wonder what that'll be like.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:26 am 

yeah i'll get to that drew, it's weird i have free time but i don't watch much movies, but I'm starting to feel it again for movies.

PBR Streetgang wrote:
wantabodylikeme wrote:

Like which ones? I've seen Rebel, In A Lonely Place, On Dangerous Ground, Bigger Than Life and Johnny Guitar. What else do you redommend? I'm waiting on a DVD of The Savage Innocents which is in the mail, I wonder what that'll be like.

bro i'm way behind you still with him. I"m actually not quite sure how you've seen so many movies in the short amount of time (actually it's not that hard to comprehend, i used to watch 2 a day in 07-08, sometimes 3 if they were Bresson runtime lengths!) But yeah I saw Johnny Guitar and re-watched Rebel, the latter I have a fonder appreciation of now that I know more about film and the former, my god, what a work of art, I don't even know how to explain what I experienced during that movie, particularly the editing, which was like deceptively amateurish, I think the cahiers critics said it was deplorable, but there's something that Ray and his editor did where every shot caught a moment of intensity in pretty much every cut, like subtle shit like a quick head turn out of nowhere that sticks in your head. It's actually kind of an ugly movie, but he sacrifices aesthetics for effect, which in turn creates his aura. Almost like Rules of the Game, which isn't a very nice looking movie one bit, but the tradeoff is the humanity that drips in every frame. That's the thing with Nick Ray, and I even noticed it in Rebel, you literally cannot take your eyes off the screen and his films aren't even plot driven, i'm not sure how to quite describe him. Power..explosiveness..expressiveness..but not like Fuller where it's all in your face, it's a more transparent energy, it's life in every frame, it's Nicholas Ray.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:52 am 

Holy shit dude that post blew my fucking mind. Which means that I must watch Johnny Guitar again asap. But first The Savage Innocents, which looks very much like a non-documentary version of Nanoojk Of The North and apparently it was banned from the US and the UK upon its release. Can't wait to find out why. Masters Of Cinema for the motherfucking win. But seriously now, watch In A Lonely Place. You're gonna cry with how incredibly awesome Bogey plays that role.

As for my movie watching spree; I stick religiously to my one-movie-per-day-no-matter-how late-or how-stoned-or-whatever rule, which has served me well for the last year or so. For the first time I actually feel a bit like Tom Morello, you know?

In July I'm going to a seven day long series of lectures and screenings of films in the local film museum, which I hope will rock my cumsocks. Two of my (super awesome) film professors at uni will be giving lectures on the influence of painting on cinematography and mise-en-scene in film (I'm thinking a lot of Jack Cardiff/Powell & Pressburger stuff, chiaroscuro lighting, probably a lot of New Age Italian cinema as wel...), as well as David Bordwell, who's going to talk about Hollywood during the '30s thru '50s or something. Why is there no drool smiley?

EDIT: I actually always found Rules Of THe Game to be a very pretty film in its own way. Maybe it's because of the humanity, as you say, but I was hooked to the screen from the first image, which, if I remember correctly, has no actual humans in it..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:35 pm 

cassavettes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:59 pm 

I have this plan where I'm going to go through the filmographies (what ever's available at least) of directors who are about to die in their old age. It just seems like a cool perspective thing while they're still breathing, even tho some of them are hardly relevant now.

So I plan to get into Resnais who's like 91 now. I've seen his two biggies (Hiroshima and Marienbad), which I pretty much adore. Structurally he's in a class by himself compared to his French constituents and I've always found him an outlier of that era.

After that I'll probably go to Rivette, and then of course Godard. Godard I've seen a lot but it will be interesting to go back to them and finally see his more recent work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:13 pm 

Would you go in chronological order? I feel like Godard would be an interesting/frustrating case.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:46 pm 

I usually always go chronological, it makes for a better story of them

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:01 am 

Make sure you don't give up in Resnais before you get to Les herbes folles. That movie was some ill shit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:13 am 

i would like to see more Resnais myself, but from what i have seen (Night & Fog, Hiroshima, Marienbad, Muriel) i think he is the true gem of that french new wave generation of auteurs (for a number of reasons, but specifically for the way he explores our perception and the meaning of time)