1963 L'aîné des Ferchaux
1966 Le deuxième souffle [Second Breath]
1967 Le samouraï [The Godson]
1969 L'armée des ombres [Army of Shadows]
1970 Le cercle rouge [The Red Circle]

1972 Un flic [Dirty Money]

Post subject: Re: Jean-Pierre Melville
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:25 am 

:lol: great quotes, haven't delve in too much with this guy and I've only seen le samourai which i liked, but that was awhile back and it'll probably floor me when i revisit it. I remember leone liking him lots.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:23 pm 

my experience with him is that i bought army of shadows and liked it okay, but then sold it on amazon for $25 to make some rent money, only to get a $25 parking ticket an hour after i made the sale--i learned about the sale from an email and found the ticket the next time i went outside not long after, in a quick succession of events. :( sigh

i feel like that move should be orange though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:30 pm 

me too.
i think first time i saw it "i liked it okay" same way as you but i feel like i must see it again. it is one of the most severe movies i've seen, even counting bresson, and that kind of asceticism is greatly attractive to me; often i have a lukewarm first reaction to them but later on feel a very great need to experience them again.
that said, i was disappointed in the "red circle", and have yet to see "le samourai", but it's near the top of my netflix queueueue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:08 am 

Jean-Pierre Melville is approaching perfection to me. I started out with Le Samouraï, which I thought was very good, but perhaps not perfect. Then I watched Un Flic not too long after that, and I thought that film was quite possibly the finest crime film since Jules Dassin's Du Rififi Chez Les Hommes or Kurosawa's gendai-geki. But then yesterday I watched Le Doulos... and man oh man, J-P Melville has become one of my favourite homeboys: he proved that he could make film noir exactly like the Americans did it, and by that I mean that he did it as good as the very best of the film noir cycle; just like Akira Kurosawa and Carol Reed had done earlier. Properly awesome film with an absolutely wonderful symmetry to it: the very last frame of the film brilliantly echoes the very first, the "preface", if you will. And not only that, but the title is brilliant, the lighting is phenomenal and the screenplay is just as tight as you can wish it to be in film noir.

Next up will be either Bob Le Flambeur or Army Of Shadows. I also look forward very much to Le Cercle Rouge and Le Silence De La Mer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:01 am 

just watched le doulos and damn son

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:25 am 

Shouldn't Le Silence de la Mer and Le Doulos be bolded?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:24 pm 

Le Doulos most definitely.

I'll be watching Bob Le Flambeur tonight. Hope it kicks ass. Le Silence De La Mer I have here on DVD and I will get to it soon I hope.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:14 pm 

So yeah, Bob Le Flambeur is most definitely a good film, but if you want to learn of Melville's genius, watch Le Doulos or Un Flic. Next up: either Le Silence de la Mer or The Red Circle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:38 pm 

I watched my blu of Army of Shadows and boy, I loved the hell out of the film. What a goddamn masterpiece. I am convinced that Melville achieved the most perfect balance between Hollywood and the arthouse more than any other director.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:47 pm 

Yeah, I still have to see that one, but fucking hell I LOVE Melville. How would you place Kubrick in that balance of yours, jake?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:25 pm 

That's a good question, I'm not sure. I never put Kubrick in that balanced group because he's pretty autonomous to himself I think. He's very image-driven like a lot of arthouse cinema, but he's also pretty upfront about the motivations of his characterizations, which is not typical of the category. There's definitely a lot of teetering going between the two, but I don't find it as relevant in his case. The more Melville I watch the more I can see how much Hollywood cinema has influenced his films, he just has a very unusually stripped down version of the 'cinematic' effects that his American counterparts employ.

Another quality aspect that I find that champions him in that perfect balance group is his sense of rhythm. His movies aren't cut fast nor are they that slow-burning, but they have a very consistent patience about them that leaves just enough time for the audience to reflect, yet never diminishing the sensational effects he intends for.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:58 pm 

He achieves that to greatest effect in Un Flic imo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:44 pm 

Watched Silence De La Mer and found it a really effective, great debut. It also answers the age old question: What came first the Bresson or the Melville?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:17 am 

It's been a while since I saw it but I remember loving the hell out of it. What do you mean by Bresson and Melville?