DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Paul Thomas Anderson
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:20 pm 

No, you're thinking of Lawless. That one's still in production.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:01 pm 

Ah. Is The Burial the one with Ben Affleck?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:12 pm 

the burial:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1595656/

the acl shooting one has ryan gosling, christian bale, natalie portman, cate blanchett, and rooney mara, fuck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:44 pm 

Cannes lineup's a fake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:36 pm 

aghhhhhhh damn

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:25 am 

First clip from The Master now online!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:35 am 

Looks promising.

PTA sure does like his artsy-fartsy atonal music.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:58 pm 

this actually looks potentially like my all time favorite Joaquin performance

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:02 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
What was your potentially former favorite?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:10 pm 

My favourite performance of his is Commodus, anyway. Glad to see him doing something real after he killed his career for Casey Affleck.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:13 pm 

actually i never really had a favorite lol, tho I've liked everything he's done from We Own the Night to Signs. Since you asked tho, I thought he was great in Two Lovers. This looks like it will be in another league tho. I always think of PTA first and foremost as an actor's director. One of the few directors I can think of who can make his actors have performances that are extremely muscular and bravura and at the same time very nuanced beneath that surface.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:19 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Yeah I getcha. It's interesting that for such a universally considered outstanding actor, he doesn't really have the "stand out" or all-time great roles that many others with his talent do. Hopefully he'll get his here.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:33 am 

wantabodylikeme wrote:
actually i never really had a favorite lol, tho I've liked everything he's done from We Own the Night to Signs. Since you asked tho, I thought he was great in Two Lovers. This looks like it will be in another league tho. I always think of PTA first and foremost as an actor's director. One of the few directors I can think of who can make his actors have performances that are extremely muscular and bravura and at the same time very nuanced beneath that surface.

for real? Nah, PTA is all about the shot for me. He definitely is an incredibly talented actor's director, sure, one of the best out there. But his films seem to me to be more a product of his keen eye and ear for a fantastic shot, the soundscape to go with it, and how to create one helluvan atmosphere by puttin' em together. When I think of PTA's movies, I never really think like "wow DDL was so good in that" or "wow, amazing how he got that performance out of Sandler". To me they are more like a series of visual impressions that I can call to mind, and of all the directors, his films are among the most visually reproducable-in-my-head in terms of camera movement, shot length, speed of the dolly or the zoom and so on and so forth.
In that way I consider him a reverse Tarantino. I think he might be even a step ahead of PTA in hiw ability to direct his actors, but his films just don't have that same memorable look. So when I think of Tarantino movies, the scenes I play in my head tend to be visually represented by the actors only, doing their thing and making the scene. And then when I eventually rewatch one of his films I'm like "ow riiiight, that's how that shot looks like" because all I can think of when trying to picture it, is the actor and the way (s)he walks, talks, winks, laughs, sighs, grins, etc.

idk why, but it always seems appropriate to bunch those two directors and try to explain the one by means of contrast with the other. so different yet so fucking alike

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:06 pm 

When I think about either a PTA or Tarantino film I constantly think both about every little camera movement and every single performance.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:49 am 

They both come to me with all PTA movies, I was just talking about what first jumps to mind when thinking of one of his films. Can't say the same for all QT movies because I haven't seen Reservoir Dogs in like seven or eight years and the same goes for the Kill Bills which I haven't seen since the second one came out. Back then all I really cared about was acting, dialogue, narrative and character development etc so that's all I really remember about them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next