DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Movie Actors
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:29 pm 

Location: Daniel Day Lewis has now a won a third Best Actin-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Unless you're a major film buff or a big fan of Old Hollywood, chances are you can't name more than one big Tracy film, except maybe Dinner, but that's less to do with Tracy and more to do with the social ramifications.
Even his signature role in Boys Town is somewhat forgotten.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:14 pm 

Sherick wrote:
Unless you're a major film buff or a big fan of Old Hollywood, chances are you can't name more than one big Tracy film, except maybe Dinner, but that's less to do with Tracy and more to do with the social ramifications.
Even his signature role in Boys Town is somewhat forgotten.

Well, I personally like the Old Hollywood but I find really hard to believe how his legendary performances as The Old Man and the Sea and his Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde version are now forgotten...I'm pretty sure his movies from my previous post are still populars but I can agree with you about the social ramification thing which is anyway applied to most of the Hollywood old stars generation, Stewart included (sure "It's a Wonderful Life" is arguably his most masterful and famous performance but the Christmas aura helped a lot to make the movie so actual even today).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:21 pm 

pave wrote:
20. Daniel Day Lewis (yeah i've reversed on the Hanks/DDL thing)
:smile:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:01 pm 

yeah, ive just decided that being the hollywood a-lister isn't as important on these lists (Hanks is MUCH more than that of course, but that used to be the force pushing him above DDL for me). i still think being a pop culture icon has its importance on a greatest list and that the ability to carry big-scale projects is also cool. not to mention, being the alpha dog of your craft the way some guys are: for example Sir Ian as the alpha dog of West End theatre for the last few decades (Dench being the female equivalent of "alpha dog"), Brando as the alpha dog of American film during his prime, Streep as far as actresses go in the last 30 years, etc. but just having mainstream appeal isn't going to factor in to my list at all (unless having mainstream appeal is important to your craft at the time: for example, being a big box office draw for theatre at a time when theatre is losing relevance)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:10 pm 

I don't really know where to ask this so I'll put it here. Is criticizing an actor for playing essentially the same character in every film a valid criticism?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:50 pm 

no, unless they're portraying that character badly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:59 pm 

Location: Daniel Day Lewis has now a won a third Best Actin-- "You think you know me..." Shit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:37 am 

Ashbery wrote:
I don't really know where to ask this so I'll put it here. Is criticizing an actor for playing essentially the same character in every film a valid criticism?

i find that most of the time people who make this criticism are only looking at the surface anyway. "oh he didnt change his voice or physical characteristics, that's not acting!" bullshit. people make the accusation about DiCaprio a lot, even though the rhythms he has for his characters are completely different. or Clooney because of the similar traits between Michael Clayton and Up in the Air, even though his characters in those two movies react very differently when their expectations aren't met (i will admit both characters, when in control of the scene, are similar though). but these people aren't paying attention to tempo or the musicality to how they use dialogue. nor are they looking at how the actor uses something as simple as a glance or pause to clarify the storytelling. or the small changes in body language that you specifically aren't supposed to notice because the actor doesn't want to draw focus to an acting choice. they are looking for something surface value only- how much weight he gained/lost for the role or how good his accent is.

oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:49 am 

pave wrote:
Ashbery wrote:

i find that most of the time people who make this criticism are only looking at the surface anyway. "oh he didnt change his voice or physical characteristics, that's not acting!" bullshit. people make the accusation about DiCaprio a lot, even though the rhythms he has for his characters are completely different. or Clooney because of the similar traits between Michael Clayton and Up in the Air, even though his characters in those two movies react very differently when their expectations aren't met (i will admit both characters, when in control of the scene, are similar though). but these people aren't paying attention to tempo or the musicality to how they use dialogue. nor are they looking at how the actor uses something as simple as a glance or pause to clarify the storytelling. or the small changes in body language that you specifically aren't supposed to notice because the actor doesn't want to draw focus to an acting choice. they are looking for something surface value only- how much weight he gained/lost for the role or how good his accent is.

oh well.

Alec Guinness is quite possibly the master at this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:41 pm 
I would put Tom Hanks into the top 30 or at least top 40. He's had some great performances and tons of nominations and 2 Academy Awards for best actor. Just sayin' where I would put him. :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:41 pm 

Depp ahead of Spacey? Good joke.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:53 am 

Taro wrote:
Depp ahead of Spacey? Good joke.

why? Spacey has moved his focus lately towards theatre at The Old Vic while Depp became the biggest star in the world while simultaneously giving several highly acclaimed performances. 10 years ago, Spacey would win that matchup in a landslide. at the moment though, its very close.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:51 pm 

pave wrote:
Ashbery wrote:

oh well.

People say DiCaprio plays the same character? I don't know that I ever got that impression. Denzel Washington, though...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:50 am 

Shutter Island and Inception are the only roles that had similiarities about them but other than that DiCaprio has a wide range of roles he goes after..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:30 am 
DiCaprio is the man right now. He's doing some great stuff these days. His J.Edgar role reminds me of Orson Welles in Citizen Kane.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next