It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:23 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:07 am
Posts: 6817
Lennon wrote:
For example, you are not taking into consideration Money, which is an essential Gilmour recording where he shows that he can play as fast as anyone.

:handball:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:24 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:52 am
Posts: 4510
Location: Norway
Er, speed is hardly the impressive aspect of "Money", or even an aspect in itself. This, however...



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:29 pm
Posts: 1067
Location: The Mining Ship Red Dwarf
Steve Howe:
Like fellow Prog-rock guitarists David Gilmour and Steve Hackett, Steve Howe was not the first guitarist for Yes, whom he joined in 1970 after original guitarist Peter Banks left. However, he was probably the greatest contributor to Yes's sound, along with Jon Anderson and Chris Squire, with his hard-rock, classical, and flamenco guitar influences. Howe played with Yes from their 1971 album Time And A Word and stuck with them through all their line-up changes, up untill their 1980 album Drama which then Yes broke up a year later. After Yes split up, Howe started a new band with King Crimson and Roxy Music's John Wetton on lead vocals and bass guitar, The Buggles' Geoff Downes on keyboards, and Emerson Lake and Palmer's Carl Palmer on drums. Unfortunetly, Howe didn't stay with them past their 2nd album, Alpha, due to tensions with Wetton. During the rest of the 80s and the early 90s, how played as a session musician on many other bands' albums, such as Frankie Goes To Hollywood's song "Welcome To The Pleasuredome" on the album of the same name in 1985, Queen's song "Innuendo" on the album of the same name, and a cover of the Yes song "Time and a Word" on the album Yin by Scottish, ex-Marillion vocalist Fish. Then in 1996, Steve Howe 'offically' re-united with Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman, Alan White, and Chris Squire on their album Keys To Ascention and has stayed with them to this day, along with his touring with Asia, whom he re-united with in 1991. To call Steve Howe the greatest Prog-rock guitarist who lived would be wrong. Saying Steve Howe is possibly the most diverse and talented guitarist in Progressive Rock history woul, however, be true.


Recomended Listening:
Sound Chaser, Mood For a Day, The Clap, Innuendo (Queen guest apperance), Gates of Delirium, Close To The Edge, Long Distance Runaround.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:28 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:07 am
Posts: 6817
Lennon wrote:
The truly great guitarists should have 10. Why? To cover their entire work and different styles of guitar playing. For example, you are not taking into consideration Money, which is an essential Gilmour recording where he shows that he can play as fast as anyone.


And to answer your question, I personally feel like the essential listening serves two purposes. One, to show what their absolute top tier performances are, no matter how high a guitarists peak is, he won't hit that peak more than 4 times throughout a career.

Second, the idea is that these are the songs someone reading the bio will listen to in order to introduce themselves to a guitarist. Therefore, each song should to some extent showcase a different style or ability from the guitarist.

That said, maybe Money should be on Gilmour's list, its probably the most rockin' solo he played.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:29 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:52 am
Posts: 4510
Location: Norway
The reason I posted that version of "Money" is because he performs every instrument in the song, except for the sax solo. Might be worth a mention in the bio, his proficiency on other instruments.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:38 am
Posts: 9270
Location: Blackwater Park
Lennon wrote:
vankush wrote:
Second draft:

David Gilmour

While most of his peers were pushing for a faster and louder style of playing, Gilmour's subtly and phrasing set him apart. A bluesman at heart, Gilmour combined an emotive touch with his natural British reserve to create his own style of slow bends, sustain, and tone, on his way to becoming the driving force behind "The Floyd's" atmospheric sound. He pioneered quadrophonic mixing in the studio, and was possibly the first guitarist to slide up past the fretboard. David never seemed to step outside his natural abilities, which, given his work, is something very impressive.

Essential listening: Time, Dogs, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Comfortably Numb, Marooned.

I don't think any guitarist should have more than 4 or 5 "essential listening" tracks.


The truly great guitarists should have 10. Why? To cover their entire work and different styles of guitar playing. For example, you are not taking into consideration Money, which is an essential Gilmour recording where he shows that he can play as fast as anyone.
That is just bullshit. Seriously where do you get this stuff from?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:57 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Cancun
KeithMoon, not to be rude but I think you need to mention more about his playing and not so much about chronological events.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:32 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:07 am
Posts: 6817
Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
The reason I posted that version of "Money" is because he performs every instrument in the song, except for the sax solo. Might be worth a mention in the bio, his proficiency on other instruments.


Yeah I was gonna add that but forgot, I will tonight. Should also add that he was the synthesizer expert in the band.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:57 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Cancun
Sodacake wrote:
Lennon wrote:
vankush wrote:
Second draft:

David Gilmour

While most of his peers were pushing for a faster and louder style of playing, Gilmour's subtly and phrasing set him apart. A bluesman at heart, Gilmour combined an emotive touch with his natural British reserve to create his own style of slow bends, sustain, and tone, on his way to becoming the driving force behind "The Floyd's" atmospheric sound. He pioneered quadrophonic mixing in the studio, and was possibly the first guitarist to slide up past the fretboard. David never seemed to step outside his natural abilities, which, given his work, is something very impressive.

Essential listening: Time, Dogs, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Comfortably Numb, Marooned.

I don't think any guitarist should have more than 4 or 5 "essential listening" tracks.


The truly great guitarists should have 10. Why? To cover their entire work and different styles of guitar playing. For example, you are not taking into consideration Money, which is an essential Gilmour recording where he shows that he can play as fast as anyone.
That is just bullshit. Seriously where do you get this stuff from?

his arse


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:29 pm
Posts: 1067
Location: The Mining Ship Red Dwarf
Raul wrote:
KeithMoon, not to be rude but I think you need to mention more about his playing and not so much about chronological events.


Ok. I'l fixify it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:57 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Cancun
vankush wrote:
Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
The reason I posted that version of "Money" is because he performs every instrument in the song, except for the sax solo. Might be worth a mention in the bio, his proficiency on other instruments.


Yeah I was gonna add that but forgot, I will tonight. Should also add that he was the synthesizer expert in the band.

Idk, I like your bio as it is. Might be overextending it perhaps? The way it is now is concise, short and focuses solely on guitar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:43 pm 
Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
Er, speed is hardly the impressive aspect of "Money", or even an aspect in itself. This, however...



This is the version I know and love, on his last solo he plays kind of fast, but yes, the emotion that he puts in each note is what makes him a top 15.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=102aurGSnGk


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:55 pm 
vankush wrote:
Lennon wrote:
The truly great guitarists should have 10. Why? To cover their entire work and different styles of guitar playing. For example, you are not taking into consideration Money, which is an essential Gilmour recording where he shows that he can play as fast as anyone.


And to answer your question, I personally feel like the essential listening serves two purposes. One, to show what their absolute top tier performances are, no matter how high a guitarists peak is, he won't hit that peak more than 4 times throughout a career.

Second, the idea is that these are the songs someone reading the bio will listen to in order to introduce themselves to a guitarist. Therefore, each song should to some extent showcase a different style or ability from the guitarist.

That said, maybe Money should be on Gilmour's list, its probably the most rockin' solo he played.


I agree. Each song that I mentioned shows a different style by Gilmour and if a new listener wants to get into him, I will recommend those 10 songs. I also agree with replacing Welcome to the Machine with Marooned.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:27 pm
Posts: 34
vankush wrote:
Second draft:

David Gilmour

While most of his peers were pushing for a faster and louder style of playing, Gilmour's subtly and phrasing set him apart. A bluesman at heart, Gilmour combined an emotive touch with his natural British reserve to create his own style of slow bends, sustain, and tone, on his way to becoming the driving force behind "The Floyd's" atmospheric sound. He pioneered quadrophonic mixing in the studio, and was possibly the first guitarist to slide up past the fretboard, giving many Floyd songs their layered undertones. David never seemed to step outside his natural abilities, which, given his work, is something very impressive.

Essential listening: Time, Dogs, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Comfortably Numb, Marooned.

I don't think any guitarist should have more than 4 or 5 "essential listening" tracks.



Good concise bio.

Under "essential listening" ...I agree adding Marooned. I think that for a new listener to appreciate David's pure artistry and mucisianship there should be one song recommendation featuring his lap steel virtuosity, I would add either High Hopes or One of these Days to showcase that part of his lap steel repertoire. Since High Hopes was the last solo from the last song on the last PF album in '94, maybe that would be a good coda to end the list. By the way, he plays a mean/emotive sax on his last solo On an Isalnd lp called Red Sky . ...(his vocal chops ain't bad either) He's the whole package...a consummate artist in the truest sense of the word.

A nice quote below from famed music producer Bob Ezrin would add a nice touch if it can fit.

Excerpt:
As noted by The Wall producer/collaborator Bob Ezrin, “…..with Gilmour, equipment is secondary to touch. You can give him a ukulele and he’ll make it sound like a Stradivarius. He’s truly got the best set of hands with which I have ever worked.”

Article from GuitarDigest on Gilmour’s influence and equipment he uses.

http://guitardigest.com/GILMOUR.pdf


Maybe I'll give it a shot with a Carlos Santana bio. Gonna be tough to keep it concise since his body of work is so immennse.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:54 pm
Posts: 9
Well uh this forum appears to be pretty dead and I can guarantee that almost no one (if anyone) will remember me, but here's this. Even if I'm slowly realizing how many flaws the list actually has, I still kinda want to go through and at the very least familiarize myself with all of them. So, clearly there, I've just finished up with EVH, and moving on to Clapton.

My essential recordings are full albums as opposed to songs; and judging by the previous pages, the consensus is going to be that I allowed too many in. The ones I'm especially curious for an opinion on are Monterey and Woodstock for Jimi, Roger the Engineer and Ronnie Scott's for Beck, and WaCF and 5150 for EVH.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page