It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:23 pm 

Lennon wrote:
For example, you are not taking into consideration Money, which is an essential Gilmour recording where he shows that he can play as fast as anyone.

:handball:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:24 pm 

Er, speed is hardly the impressive aspect of "Money", or even an aspect in itself. This, however...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:26 pm 

Steve Howe:
Like fellow Prog-rock guitarists David Gilmour and Steve Hackett, Steve Howe was not the first guitarist for Yes, whom he joined in 1970 after original guitarist Peter Banks left. However, he was probably the greatest contributor to Yes's sound, along with Jon Anderson and Chris Squire, with his hard-rock, classical, and flamenco guitar influences. Howe played with Yes from their 1971 album Time And A Word and stuck with them through all their line-up changes, up untill their 1980 album Drama which then Yes broke up a year later. After Yes split up, Howe started a new band with King Crimson and Roxy Music's John Wetton on lead vocals and bass guitar, The Buggles' Geoff Downes on keyboards, and Emerson Lake and Palmer's Carl Palmer on drums. Unfortunetly, Howe didn't stay with them past their 2nd album, Alpha, due to tensions with Wetton. During the rest of the 80s and the early 90s, how played as a session musician on many other bands' albums, such as Frankie Goes To Hollywood's song "Welcome To The Pleasuredome" on the album of the same name in 1985, Queen's song "Innuendo" on the album of the same name, and a cover of the Yes song "Time and a Word" on the album Yin by Scottish, ex-Marillion vocalist Fish. Then in 1996, Steve Howe 'offically' re-united with Jon Anderson, Rick Wakeman, Alan White, and Chris Squire on their album Keys To Ascention and has stayed with them to this day, along with his touring with Asia, whom he re-united with in 1991. To call Steve Howe the greatest Prog-rock guitarist who lived would be wrong. Saying Steve Howe is possibly the most diverse and talented guitarist in Progressive Rock history woul, however, be true.

Recomended Listening:
Sound Chaser, Mood For a Day, The Clap, Innuendo (Queen guest apperance), Gates of Delirium, Close To The Edge, Long Distance Runaround.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:28 pm 

Lennon wrote:
The truly great guitarists should have 10. Why? To cover their entire work and different styles of guitar playing. For example, you are not taking into consideration Money, which is an essential Gilmour recording where he shows that he can play as fast as anyone.

And to answer your question, I personally feel like the essential listening serves two purposes. One, to show what their absolute top tier performances are, no matter how high a guitarists peak is, he won't hit that peak more than 4 times throughout a career.

Second, the idea is that these are the songs someone reading the bio will listen to in order to introduce themselves to a guitarist. Therefore, each song should to some extent showcase a different style or ability from the guitarist.

That said, maybe Money should be on Gilmour's list, its probably the most rockin' solo he played.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:29 pm 

The reason I posted that version of "Money" is because he performs every instrument in the song, except for the sax solo. Might be worth a mention in the bio, his proficiency on other instruments.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:31 pm 

Lennon wrote:
vankush wrote:
Second draft:

David Gilmour

While most of his peers were pushing for a faster and louder style of playing, Gilmour's subtly and phrasing set him apart. A bluesman at heart, Gilmour combined an emotive touch with his natural British reserve to create his own style of slow bends, sustain, and tone, on his way to becoming the driving force behind "The Floyd's" atmospheric sound. He pioneered quadrophonic mixing in the studio, and was possibly the first guitarist to slide up past the fretboard. David never seemed to step outside his natural abilities, which, given his work, is something very impressive.

Essential listening: Time, Dogs, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Comfortably Numb, Marooned.

I don't think any guitarist should have more than 4 or 5 "essential listening" tracks.

The truly great guitarists should have 10. Why? To cover their entire work and different styles of guitar playing. For example, you are not taking into consideration Money, which is an essential Gilmour recording where he shows that he can play as fast as anyone.
That is just bullshit. Seriously where do you get this stuff from?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:32 pm 

KeithMoon, not to be rude but I think you need to mention more about his playing and not so much about chronological events.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:32 pm 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
The reason I posted that version of "Money" is because he performs every instrument in the song, except for the sax solo. Might be worth a mention in the bio, his proficiency on other instruments.

Yeah I was gonna add that but forgot, I will tonight. Should also add that he was the synthesizer expert in the band.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:33 pm 

Sodacake wrote:
Lennon wrote:
vankush wrote:
Second draft:

David Gilmour

While most of his peers were pushing for a faster and louder style of playing, Gilmour's subtly and phrasing set him apart. A bluesman at heart, Gilmour combined an emotive touch with his natural British reserve to create his own style of slow bends, sustain, and tone, on his way to becoming the driving force behind "The Floyd's" atmospheric sound. He pioneered quadrophonic mixing in the studio, and was possibly the first guitarist to slide up past the fretboard. David never seemed to step outside his natural abilities, which, given his work, is something very impressive.

Essential listening: Time, Dogs, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Comfortably Numb, Marooned.

I don't think any guitarist should have more than 4 or 5 "essential listening" tracks.

That is just bullshit. Seriously where do you get this stuff from?

his arse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:34 pm 

Raul wrote:
KeithMoon, not to be rude but I think you need to mention more about his playing and not so much about chronological events.

Ok. I'l fixify it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:38 pm 

vankush wrote:

Yeah I was gonna add that but forgot, I will tonight. Should also add that he was the synthesizer expert in the band.

Idk, I like your bio as it is. Might be overextending it perhaps? The way it is now is concise, short and focuses solely on guitar.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:43 pm 
Er, speed is hardly the impressive aspect of "Money", or even an aspect in itself. This, however...

This is the version I know and love, on his last solo he plays kind of fast, but yes, the emotion that he puts in each note is what makes him a top 15.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=102aurGSnGk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:55 pm 
vankush wrote:
Lennon wrote:

And to answer your question, I personally feel like the essential listening serves two purposes. One, to show what their absolute top tier performances are, no matter how high a guitarists peak is, he won't hit that peak more than 4 times throughout a career.

Second, the idea is that these are the songs someone reading the bio will listen to in order to introduce themselves to a guitarist. Therefore, each song should to some extent showcase a different style or ability from the guitarist.

That said, maybe Money should be on Gilmour's list, its probably the most rockin' solo he played.

I agree. Each song that I mentioned shows a different style by Gilmour and if a new listener wants to get into him, I will recommend those 10 songs. I also agree with replacing Welcome to the Machine with Marooned.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:09 pm 

vankush wrote:
Second draft:

David Gilmour

While most of his peers were pushing for a faster and louder style of playing, Gilmour's subtly and phrasing set him apart. A bluesman at heart, Gilmour combined an emotive touch with his natural British reserve to create his own style of slow bends, sustain, and tone, on his way to becoming the driving force behind "The Floyd's" atmospheric sound. He pioneered quadrophonic mixing in the studio, and was possibly the first guitarist to slide up past the fretboard, giving many Floyd songs their layered undertones. David never seemed to step outside his natural abilities, which, given his work, is something very impressive.

Good concise bio.

Under "essential listening" ...I agree adding Marooned. I think that for a new listener to appreciate David's pure artistry and mucisianship there should be one song recommendation featuring his lap steel virtuosity, I would add either High Hopes or One of these Days to showcase that part of his lap steel repertoire. Since High Hopes was the last solo from the last song on the last PF album in '94, maybe that would be a good coda to end the list. By the way, he plays a mean/emotive sax on his last solo On an Isalnd lp called Red Sky . ...(his vocal chops ain't bad either) He's the whole package...a consummate artist in the truest sense of the word.

A nice quote below from famed music producer Bob Ezrin would add a nice touch if it can fit.

Excerpt:
As noted by The Wall producer/collaborator Bob Ezrin, “…..with Gilmour, equipment is secondary to touch. You can give him a ukulele and he’ll make it sound like a Stradivarius. He’s truly got the best set of hands with which I have ever worked.”

Article from GuitarDigest on Gilmour’s influence and equipment he uses.

http://guitardigest.com/GILMOUR.pdf

Maybe I'll give it a shot with a Carlos Santana bio. Gonna be tough to keep it concise since his body of work is so immennse.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:38 pm 

Well uh this forum appears to be pretty dead and I can guarantee that almost no one (if anyone) will remember me, but here's this. Even if I'm slowly realizing how many flaws the list actually has, I still kinda want to go through and at the very least familiarize myself with all of them. So, clearly there, I've just finished up with EVH, and moving on to Clapton.

My essential recordings are full albums as opposed to songs; and judging by the previous pages, the consensus is going to be that I allowed too many in. The ones I'm especially curious for an opinion on are Monterey and Woodstock for Jimi, Roger the Engineer and Ronnie Scott's for Beck, and WaCF and 5150 for EVH.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next