DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Guitarist bios (submit your bio suggestions here)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:06 pm 

TheASDF wrote:
Well uh this forum appears to be pretty dead and I can guarantee that almost no one (if anyone) will remember me, but here's this. Even if I'm slowly realizing how many flaws the list actually has, I still kinda want to go through and at the very least familiarize myself with all of them. So, clearly there, I've just finished up with EVH, and moving on to Clapton.

My essential recordings are full albums as opposed to songs; and judging by the previous pages, the consensus is going to be that I allowed too many in. The ones I'm especially curious for an opinion on are Monterey and Woodstock for Jimi, Roger the Engineer and Ronnie Scott's for Beck, and WaCF and 5150 for EVH.

I love Monterey and Ronnie Scott´s. They are easily among my favorite DVD´s and live albums.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:45 am 

TheASDF wrote:
Well uh this forum appears to be pretty dead and I can guarantee that almost no one (if anyone) will remember me, but here's this. Even if I'm slowly realizing how many flaws the list actually has, I still kinda want to go through and at the very least familiarize myself with all of them. So, clearly there, I've just finished up with EVH, and moving on to Clapton.

My essential recordings are full albums as opposed to songs; and judging by the previous pages, the consensus is going to be that I allowed too many in. The ones I'm especially curious for an opinion on are Monterey and Woodstock for Jimi, Roger the Engineer and Ronnie Scott's for Beck, and WaCF and 5150 for EVH.

they are definitely two of beck's least impressive albums imo. you've at least listened to some of; blow by blow, jeff, you had it coming, who else, flash, wired, emotion & commotion as well right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:10 pm 

TheASDF wrote:
here's this.
whoa, very cool... i still think the hendrix bio needs something more... not that it's easy to capture everything about him... but i think his phrasing rarely if ever gets mentioned/appreciated... and i can't think of anyone in rock before hendrix whose phrasing arches were as extended and sophisticated and unbounded (and even overlapping!) as his, and i'd argue it took until the mid-70s for the rest of the rock world to catch up (mostly through the prog and fusion guys)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:16 pm 

George wrote:
TheASDF wrote:
here's this.
whoa, very cool... i still think the hendrix bio needs something more... not that it's easy to capture everything about him... but i think his phrasing rarely if ever gets mentioned/appreciated... and i can't think of anyone in rock before hendrix whose phrasing arches were as extended and sophisticated and unbounded (and even overlapping!) as his, and i'd argue it took until the mid-70s for the rest of the rock world to catch up (mostly through the prog and fusion guys)

Like who?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:23 pm 

well, i'm thinking j-mac, for example, and perhaps fripp in his wilder moments, though they were contemporaries of hendrix too

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:06 pm 

rockvirtuoso wrote:
TheASDF wrote:

they are definitely two of beck's least impressive albums imo. you've at least listened to some of; blow by blow, jeff, you had it coming, who else, flash, wired, emotion & commotion as well right?

Yeah, I've heard all of those. I put on Roger since I figured it'd probably be good to have a Yardbirds album and Ronnie Scott's for a live album, but neither of those are up to par with the rest of his work, which is why I was doubting those on the list. Otherwise I tried to put in one for each "phase" of his career; Truth for hard rock, Blow by Blow for the more laid-back/funky jazz-rock, Wired for the more fiery jazz-rock, Guitar Shop for just plain-out normal rock, and Jeff for... Whatever Jeff is. Rock with electronic undertones I guess.

As far as the Hendrix bio goes, I agree phrasing would be a good thing to mention; I guess it's sort of in the Beck one too but never really mentioned by name, I might throw it in there.

BTW the reasons I was wondering about the others were:
Monterey is not quite up to par with Band of Gypsys, though still rather good and pretty iconic (although more for the guitar burning and it being his first US performance than anything else).
Woodstock is iconic, but kinda crappy.
WaCF and 5150 are both pretty good EVH albums but not radically different from their predecessors.

Thoughts?

Oh and also, while I'm at it, any good Yardbirds or solo material I should be going at while I go through Clapton?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:12 pm 

I think that Ronnie Scott's is Beck´s 4th greatest album:

1. Truth
2. Blow by Blow
3. Wired
4. Ronnie Scott's

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:02 am 

TheASDF wrote:

Oh and also, while I'm at it, any good Yardbirds or solo material I should be going at while I go through Clapton?

From the Cradle!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:07 pm 

John Jorgenson
..........The John Jorgenson Quintet features guitarist Jorgenson,a founding member of the Desert Rose Band, the Hellecasters, and six-year member of Elton John's band. Artists ranging from Barbra Streisand to Bonnie Raitt to Earl Scruggs have sought out Jorgenson's guitar work. Recently, he was chosen to portray Django Reinhardt in the feature film Head in the Clouds. At a John Jorgenson Quintet performance, audiences are amazed by John's dazzling guitar work as well as his mastery as a clarinet player and vocalist. Whether playing his own accessible compositions or classic standards, John and his band make music that is equally romantic and ecstatic, played with virtuosity and soul.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:10 pm 

Peppino D’Agostino

Peppino doesn’t just play the guitar. He composes, arranges, collaborates, improvises and has even been known to sing a song here and there in both English and Italian. But what he does create on the guitar makes the difference between simply playing and truly making music apparent in the most wonderful ways. D’Agostino has been hailed as “a guitarist’s guitarist” by Acoustic Guitar magazine as well as “a giant of the acoustic guitar” (San Diego Reader), and holds many top guitar awards, but the San Francisco Chronicle encapsulated the essential difference that distinguishes D’Agostino’s music when it dubbed him “a poet.”

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:11 pm 

Renegade Creation
is a guitar tour de force featuring Robben Ford & Michael Landau riding a rhythmic foundation laid down by one of rock’s finest rhythm sections, bassist Jimmy Haslip and drummer Gary Novak. Legendary guitarist Robben began his recording career in the ’70’s with the Charles Ford Band, a blues band with his brothers before joining Tom Scott’s in 1974. Through the years Ford has been busy as a sideman and a solo artist and has worked with George Harrison, Joni Mitchell, the Yellowjackets, Miles Davis, Gregg Allman, and Phil Lesh to name a few. As a solo artist, Robben has released many records which include the highly touted “Tiger Walk” record. Landau is a renowned session guitarist who has played on albums since the early 1980s with such notable artists as Miles Davis, Amy Holland, Michael Jackson, Richard Marx, Joni Mitchell, Steve Perry, Seal, James Taylor, legendary singer Laura Branigan and many others.