DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:36 pm
Posts: 12649
:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:37 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:43 am
Posts: 4631
actually that's a good point... if anyone's interested in picking up this project, you're welcome to it... otherwise i'll consider just deleting this thread soon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 pm
Posts: 373
Well now I have time on my hands. Suggestion time!!!
I just want to know...what do people think of Voodoo Child being number one???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:47 am
Posts: 8446
Location: in a pungent rose petal
single greatest guitar performance in rock music ? hmmmm, well seeing that I think Watchtower>Voodoo, Id say no


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 pm
Posts: 373
So would you have AATW at number one?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 pm
Posts: 373
Songs on the list
Voodoo Child (Slight Return) by Jimi Hendrix
All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix
Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix
Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
Heartbreaker by Led Zeppelin
Achilles Last Stand by Led Zeppelin
Eruption by Van Halen
Johnny B Goode by Chuck Berry

Songs we could add:
Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson
Crossroads by Cream
Sunshine of Your Love by Cream
You Really Got Me by The Kinks
Money by Pink Floyd
London Calling by The Clash
Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits
Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14112
BayPineapple wrote:
So would you have AATW at number one?


Personally, I would.

I mean, Comfortably Numb is good and everything, but it just doesn't have the originality, the influence or the compositional quality, imo.

The top 3 has always been Watchtower, Numb, and Stairway. I see no reason for that to change.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 pm
Posts: 373
Negative Creep wrote:
BayPineapple wrote:
So would you have AATW at number one?


Personally, I would.

I mean, Comfortably Numb is good and everything, but it just doesn't have the originality, the influence or the compositional quality, imo.

The top 3 has always been Watchtower, Numb, and Stairway. I see no reason for that to change.


Eh, I could see Comfortably Numb being in the top 100, but I don't know about number two. Sure, it probably has the greatest solo ever, but overall I don't know if it beats out Voodoo Child or Stairway.

My personal top five
1. Voodoo Child
2. Stairway To Heaven
3. White Room
4. Layla
5. Purple Haze


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14112
Cant argue with any of those (assuming it's just your personal faves right?).

For this particular list...

1. Watchtower
2. Stairway
3. Numb
4. Layla
5. Cause We've Ended As Lovers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 pm
Posts: 373
Negative Creep wrote:
Cant argue with any of those (assuming it's just your personal faves right?).

For this particular list...

1. Watchtower
2. Stairway
3. Numb
4. Layla
5. Cause We've Ended As Lovers


Yeah, that was my personal top five

But I think we have a top two
1. All Along The Watchtower
2. Stairway

But honestly, I think there are many guitar performances greater than Comfortably Numb. I would say Johnny B Goode would be ahead of Comfortably Numb. As well as Layla and Purple Haze and Voodoo Child


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14112
I fully support all of that. :biggrin:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 pm
Posts: 373
I want to first build a solid Top 20

Rolling Stone Top 20 Guitar Songs
1. Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry
2. Purple Haze by The Jimi Hendrix Experience
3. Crossroads by Cream
4. You Really Got Me by The Kinks
5. Brown Sugar by The Rolling Stones
6. Eruption by Van Halen
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps by The Beatles
8. Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
9. Statesboro Blues by The Allman Brothers Band
10. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
11. Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin
12. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) by Jimi Hendrix
13. Layla by Derek and the Dominoes
14. Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen
15. My Generation by The Who
16. Cowgirl In The Sand by Neil Young with Crazy Horse
17. Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath
18. Blitzkreig Bop by The Ramones
19. Purple Rain by Prince
20. People Get Ready by The Impressions

Thoughts?
What songs would without a doubt stay in the top 20?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14112
BayPineapple wrote:
I want to first build a solid Top 20

Rolling Stone Top 20 Guitar Songs
1. Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry
2. Purple Haze by The Jimi Hendrix Experience
3. Crossroads by Cream
4. You Really Got Me by The Kinks
5. Brown Sugar by The Rolling Stones
6. Eruption by Van Halen
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps by The Beatles
8. Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
9. Statesboro Blues by The Allman Brothers Band
10. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
11. Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin
12. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) by Jimi Hendrix
13. Layla by Derek and the Dominoes
14. Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen
15. My Generation by The Who
16. Cowgirl In The Sand by Neil Young with Crazy Horse
17. Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath
18. Blitzkreig Bop by The Ramones
19. Purple Rain by Prince
20. People Get Ready by The Impressions

Thoughts?
What songs would without a doubt stay in the top 20?


I don't think we should include live material here. Only complicates things all the more.

MUST-HAVES:
Johnny B. Goode, Purple Haze, You Really Got Me, Eruption, Stairway (duh), Voodoo Child, Layla, Black Sabbath

DEFINITELY NOT TOP 20:
Blitzkrieg Bop, Purple Rain, Cowgirl, Brown Sugar, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Whole Lotta Love (I'd actually have Heartbreaker there instead)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:30 pm
Posts: 373
Negative Creep wrote:
BayPineapple wrote:
I want to first build a solid Top 20

Rolling Stone Top 20 Guitar Songs
1. Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry
2. Purple Haze by The Jimi Hendrix Experience
3. Crossroads by Cream
4. You Really Got Me by The Kinks
5. Brown Sugar by The Rolling Stones
6. Eruption by Van Halen
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps by The Beatles
8. Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
9. Statesboro Blues by The Allman Brothers Band
10. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
11. Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin
12. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) by Jimi Hendrix
13. Layla by Derek and the Dominoes
14. Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen
15. My Generation by The Who
16. Cowgirl In The Sand by Neil Young with Crazy Horse
17. Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath
18. Blitzkreig Bop by The Ramones
19. Purple Rain by Prince
20. People Get Ready by The Impressions

Thoughts?
What songs would without a doubt stay in the top 20?


I don't think we should include live material here. Only complicates things all the more.

MUST-HAVES:
Johnny B. Goode, Purple Haze, You Really Got Me, Eruption, Stairway (duh), Voodoo Child, Layla, Black Sabbath

DEFINITELY NOT TOP 20:
Blitzkrieg Bop, Purple Rain, Cowgirl, Brown Sugar, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Whole Lotta Love (I'd actually have Heartbreaker there instead)


So does that mean you think Born To Run and People Get Ready have a chance at the Top 20? Because I've always thought Born To Run was an underrated guitar tune, and I'm not really sure about People Get Ready.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Guitar Performances (Being Created Right No
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:49 pm
Posts: 3871
No way those two belong in the top twenty guitar performances of all time. (Those breaks in People Get Ready are exceptionally beautiful though)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:

DigitalDreamDoor.com   

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page