DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8850 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451 ... 590  Next
 Post subject: Re: 250+ Greatest Rock Guitarists
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 am 

batio has played more notes than any other player in history, 666 is way too low

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:19 am 

Sodacake wrote:
ZepHead wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
ZepHead wrote:
Who else agrees on Iommi > EVH?

Creativity and skill to Eddie.

EVH wasn't even half as prolifc as Iommi.

So? Buckethead is more prolific than both. Should we bump him up into the top 10?

One criterion doesn't guarantee a place in the top 10.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:51 am 

ZepHead wrote:
One criterion doesn't guarantee a place in the top 10.

It's funny you say that because how prolific a guitarist is isn't part of the criteria. Also, sarcasm. Detect it. I don't think your argument for Iommi over Eddie is going to get very far.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:04 am 

It's awesome sometimes how objective everyone here can be. I may be wrong, but from my knowledge, just about everyone I know here prefers Iommi over EVH, even if by the slightest margins.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:26 am 

Yousha wrote:
It's awesome sometimes how objective everyone here can be. I may be wrong, but from my knowledge, just about everyone I know here prefers Iommi over EVH, even if by the slightest margins.

Soda doesnt, rv was most emphatic, and I would have EVH as well

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:28 am 

You'd rather listen to Ed than Tony?

I'm a riff guy, so Iommi is my man. Not that Ed doesnt have some spectacular riffs, but hardly anyone can hope to surpass Iommi in this area....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:44 am 

The Seeker wrote:
Yousha wrote:

Soda doesnt, rv was most emphatic, and I would have EVH as well

Pretty much. I do love listening to Iommi, though. I just love listening to EVH more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:58 am 

Negative Creep wrote:

I'm a riff guy, so Iommi is my man. Not that Ed doesnt have some spectacular riffs, but hardly anyone can hope to surpass Iommi in this area....

Who I'd rather listen to isnt really the question. In a greatest Rock Guitarist list, I think EVH justifies a higher place on virtually every criteria except perhaps riff making.

I think the acid test is that EVH wouldnt look out of place at 3 or 4 whereas Tony would

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:23 pm 

Some guy on reddit wrote:
Quote:
I know this is a very controversial topic, but I have been thinking about this for quite a while. I believe that Jimmy Hendrix is one of the most overrated guitarist. I know that he has been recognized as a top 10 guitarist of all time (by a magazine that I cannot seem to remember). However you have to consider that he shows more showmanship than musicianship. He was not a technically proficient as other guitarists that exist nowadays. He plays the same boring penatonic scales in his solos which cower in comparison to what guitarist the like of Steve Vai and John Petrucci use. I am not hating on his music, it's great, but I don't think he is as technically proficient. What are your opinions?

:facepalm:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:11 pm 

The Seeker wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:

Who I'd rather listen to isnt really the question. In a greatest Rock Guitarist list, I think EVH justifies a higher place on virtually every criteria except perhaps riff making.

I think the acid test is that EVH wouldnt look out of place at 3 or 4 whereas Tony would

where he was for the longest time, mind you....

Soda - what are your top 5-10 performances from Halen, just curious to know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:15 pm 

My favourite performances of him are favourites because I like the rhythm playing so much, and not particularly because of the lead playing as is usually the case.

Not in any order but here goes: Panama, Somebody Get Me A Doctor, Humans Being, Unchained, Mean Street, Right Now, Dreams, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love and Beat It.

There shouldn't really be any surprises there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:33 pm 

I havent heard 3 of those, but of the ones there, none at all. My favorite's Dont tell me, what do you think of it ? Mean Street and that are probably the 2 best things I've heard from him...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:48 pm 

That's great. I don't know how Eddie does it, but he can make the most simple power chord progressions really interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:01 pm 

Do you think EVH should be above Clapton when Eric was his biggest influence, or does Eddie's influence on his era surpass what Clapton did in his?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:06 pm 

I think they're fairly close in terms of influence and Eddie wins in every other part of the criteria. The fact that Clapton was an influence on Eddie doesn't really mean anything. Uli John Roth was an influence on Malmsteen. Should Roth be ahead of him? No sir. Malmsteen wins by the criteria.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8850 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451 ... 590  Next