DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Greatest Rock Guitar Albums (Studio)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:00 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
Yes but Clapton is, or never was at any point, a metal guitarist. His contributions to metal are minimal.
He was playing loud and experimenting with volume, but his notes were blues-rock all the way.

The Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame's video montage on the roots of heavy metal focusses on three guitarists: Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix.

The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame isn't the most credible source in the world. I've never heard any metal guitarist mention Clapton. At all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:21 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
ClashWho wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
Yes but Clapton is, or never was at any point, a metal guitarist. His contributions to metal are minimal.
He was playing loud and experimenting with volume, but his notes were blues-rock all the way.

The Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame's video montage on the roots of heavy metal focusses on three guitarists: Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix.

The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame isn't the most credible source in the world. I've never heard any metal guitarist mention Clapton. At all.

What's "metal" to you? The goalposts keep moving on that one. Eddie Van Halen says that Eric Clapton is his primary influence.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:25 pm 

Little Richard also has influence all over hard rock, does that make him a hard rock artist?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:27 pm 

The question isn't whether Clapton is a metal guitarist, but how substansive his influence is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:02 pm 

What would be the greatest guitar album from Lifeson?

I'm gonna say Hemispheres but it's really tough.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:08 pm 

I'd personaly place Paranoid instead of masters of reality in top 10, that album made more kids wanna pick up a guitar and do the iron man or paranoid riff.

Think blizzard of ozz is worth a spot in top 25

IMO texas flood is quite overrated on these boards, definitely it is a good album, but here everybody regards it as the album that brought back the blues to mainstream and ... while rory gallagher was doing this already for a while.

Maybe a thin lizzy album somewhere in top 30, they had a bit of influence with their twin guitar sound.

I guess Elephant from the white stripes could be on this list too, not too high though

I'd also put wheels of fire in top 25

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:01 pm 

Quote:
I'd personaly place Paranoid instead of masters of reality in top 10, that album made more kids wanna pick up a guitar and do the iron man or paranoid riff.

Welcome back, Fox. You're probably right about that actually. To be honest, any of the first 3 could do.

Quote:
Think blizzard of ozz is worth a spot in top 25

Doubtful, but you never know.

Quote:
IMO texas flood is quite overrated on these boards, definitely it is a good album, but here everybody regards it as the album that brought back the blues to mainstream and ... while rory gallagher was doing this already for a while.

Gallagher came along at a time when blues was still pretty common. In the early 80's, it was considered all but dead and SRV definitely helped to 'revive' it and spark an interest back in the music in general.

Quote:
Maybe a thin lizzy album somewhere in top 30, they had a bit of influence with their twin guitar sound.

So did Wishbone Ash, though they weren't as broadly well known.

Quote:
I guess Elephant from the white stripes could be on this list too, not too high though

Agreed. Killer album.

Quote:
I'd also put wheels of fire in top 25

Definitely.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:04 am 

And we should have some Shadows in here, Hank B. Marvin was a real hero back in the days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:03 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
What would be the greatest guitar album from Lifeson?

I'm gonna say Hemispheres but it's really tough.

I agree with Hemispheres for Lifeson's crowning glory.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:59 pm 

... a few tracks from one of the finest guitar albums there is ... Tommy Bolin - Whips and Roses ... Take care

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:31 pm 

gminer,
Bolin was absurdly talented, from what little I've heard. I will check those links when I get home from work.

But I remember a studio tune called Post Toastee that blew my mind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:19 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
gminer,
Bolin was absurdly talented, from what little I've heard. I will check those links when I get home from work.

But I remember a studio tune called Post Toastee that blew my mind.

... it doesn`t get much better than this ... from 1973 Cobham and Bolin ... Stratus from the drum/guitar masterpiece that is Spectrum ..Take care

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:11 am 

This version of Stratus is one of the greatest things I have ever heard on the guitar for sure.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:17 pm 

Yousha wrote:
This version of Stratus is one of the greatest things I have ever heard on the guitar for sure.....

Strap your seatbelt on my friend ... a Purple jam - Paice and Bolin ... Take care

... a little Purple Bolin you might enjoy with a touch of funk ......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:44 pm 

Siamese Dream By Smashing Pumpkins should be on the list, and in the top 30...its pretty much a guitar jerk off session.

As far as alternative releases go, its far ahead of Ten in terms of technical prowess, its probably the most guitar oriented album of the 1990s as far as alternative rock goes..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 60  Next