It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jack White
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:45 pm 

Jack White (The White Stripes)
(list by Pave)

The Defining Three:

"Catch Hell Blues”.
This is exactly the track i would tell people to listen to for Jack White's musical mission-statement: repeated phrases, single-note attacks (a la Neil Young), sloppy delta blues licks (complete with missed notes), loud distorted riffs that weave in and out (and have several variations throughout), shifting levels/tempos, etc. he is not everyone's cup of tea, but you'll probably know if he's for you or not by listening to this.

"Ball and Biscuit"
perhaps the ultimate and most popular defense for most Jack White fans as an example of his talent as a guitarist, mainly because it seems basically designed as a jam for him to improv (i wouldn't be surprised if he improvised it in the studio).the thing that draws me in is the riff and the smaller licks that fill the gaps. the studio version doesn't do justice to his live versions, which you can find all over youtube.

"Seven Nation Army"
the riff that single-handedly made Jack White a guitar-icon and simultaneously made him the most despised guitarist in the world It's the most recognizable riff of the 00s, a throwback to Page/Blackmore riffs, and probably the most overplayed song among beginning guitarists next to "Smoke on the Water" since it was released.

Other essentials :

''Black Math'' .... with that signature dirty sound, signature riff and signature soloing style
"Let's Build a Home/Going Back to Memphis"... the essential live Jack White performance from Conan, a tour de force of punk-blues
"I Fought Piranhas"... the studio version is not all Jack, but the Under Blackpool Lights version is killer and its all Jack. and there is an awesome softer version of it from It Might Get Loud (deleted scene)
"I'm Slowly Turning Into You"... first that extremely dirty riff about a minute in and then the even dirtier solo in the middle
"Screwdriver"... Brilliant Billy Gibbons-esque riff that he repeats throughout
"300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues"... stream-of-consciousness structure with "torrential outpours" of distorted awesomeness
"Death Letter"... Son House was punk blues before punk blues existed, and White does a hell of a tribute with this
"Icky Thump"... that riff in between the verses is superb
"Level"... particularly the live music video version
"Blue Orchid"... the much heavier, spiritual successor to "Seven Nation Army"
"You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)"... really belongs in the mid 70s
"Salute Your Solution"... with Brendan Benson, they power out a monster classic-rock riff as good as any i've heard

Last edited by Echoes on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Jack White
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:58 pm 

I love him!
Screwdriver kicks mucho ass.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:05 am 

Would you help me to do the list of his greatest guitar songs? I also will like to invite Pave to contribute.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:59 pm 

That one's tough, but Black Math and Screwdriver have GOT to be on it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:04 pm 

I just added pave´s list to the first post. That list should be enough for Jack White to be included in the top 100. I mean, can anybody here make a list like that for guitarists like Haynes, Lukather, Marr, Belew, Ronson, Gilbert, Moore or MacAlpine???? Of course not.

Also Jack White is the greatest icon of 21st century rock guitar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:42 pm 

Echoes wrote:
I just added pave´s list to the first post. That list should be enough for Jack White to be included in the top 100. I mean, can anybody here make a list like that for guitarists like Haynes, Lukather, Marr, Belew, Ronson, Gilbert, Moore or MacAlpine???? Of course not.
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:43 pm 

Why is that funny? I just want to know what makes them worthy of a top 100.

:question: :question: :question:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:04 pm 

George wrote:
Echoes wrote:
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 pm 

Echoes wrote:

For some of them, yeah, though I'm not that familiar with a number of those guitarists catalogs. Not that writing a list of good tunes by an artist is a particularly convincing argument in favour of their greatness.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:53 pm 

But that is not just a list of great rock guitar songs. It also explains how White is a huge stylist, with a great rock tone and a unique style. It also explains the importance of White to the history and evolution of rock guitar. I mean, can you explain 00´s rock guitar without White´s punk-blues guitar?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:54 pm 

umm, i made that list and even I don't think he should be higher than maybe 175ish.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:32 pm 

But why not? What makes those guitarists I mentioned greater than White?

:question: :question: :question:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:35 pm 

White is not important to the evolution of rock guitar in any way, shape or form.
To be important, at least within guitar, you have to be really orginal or creative in some way.
It's not like White is playing anything new, he's doing the same Jimmy Page/heavy blues imitations that tons of garage bands have been doing for years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:36 pm 

Fine, then is should be really easy to explain the evolution of 00´s rock guitar without speaking about White.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:39 pm 

I dont really think rock guitar has 'evolved' that much in recent times. There hasn't been a real guitar prodigy in the mainstream for quite a while, at least in rock.