It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Earliest 'Rock/Guitar' Concert memories
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:13 am 

A couple of posts on other threads have talked about peoples concert memories, especially, but not exclusively, their early ones.

As one of the 'senior' DDD posters, I was fortunate enough to see shows from about 1971 onwards and in those days, there was an abundance of well known bands playing small venues and colleges etc. My first show was Hawkwind and I remember seeing bands like Gentle Giant, Curved Air, Baker Gurvitz Army, Van Der Graaf Generator, Budgie.

I quite liked all of the prog/space related rock and loved the buzz of the live arena, but I enjoyed the The Groundhogs and Wishbone Ash more. But my musical world was soon to be changed for good when Jan Akkerman and Ritchie Blackmore entered the show !!

Post subject: Re: Earliest 'Rock/Guitar' Concert memories
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:29 am 

The Seeker wrote:
A couple of posts on other threads have talked about peoples concert memories, especially, but not exclusively, their early ones.

As one of the 'senior' DDD posters, I was fortunate enough to see shows from about 1971 onwards and in those days, there was an abundance of well known bands playing small venues and colleges etc. My first show was Hawkwind and I remember seeing bands like Gentle Giant, Curved Air, Baker Gurvitz Army, Van Der Graaf Generator, Budgie.

I quite liked all of the prog/space related rock and loved the buzz of the live arena, but I enjoyed the The Groundhogs and Wishbone Ash more. But my musical world was soon to be changed for good when Jan Akkerman and Ritchie Blackmore entered the show !!

Well, in the States on the west coast we were exposed to different stuff. As the resident ol' geezer here I got to see Joe Cocker and The Grease Band with Country Joe and The Fish at the Fillmore West in 69. Many think Cocker's gig at Woodstock was his first in the U.S. but the show I saw was earlier that summer. Saw ELO and the original Little Feat with Lowell George play in a big old barn at the County Fair in Eugene Oregon before ELO got huge. Used to be a great club in So Cal called the Golden Bear, probably held about 300 people, anyway from Dylan to SRV the Dead, Neil Young it was a great time. My favorite shows were Savoy Brown....Leon Redbone....Fabulous Thunderbirds.....Mountain. Saw Arthur Lee and Love at another club that had a revolving stage, weird but it was the 'Forever Changes' shows so that was special.

Saw Jefferson Airplane with 'The Hour Glass' aka The Allman Brothers at an outdoor show in L A and a great show by Roxy Music with all the originals. I keep a long long list of the acts I've seen. Since 'live music' and touring bands have changed over the years I hold those times close. BTW, I only saw Wishbone Ash once, the original lineup open for John Mayall.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:08 am 

Wow. I kind of envy you old geezers. You know, except for the old part. My first concert was Iron Maiden with Queensryche at Radio City Music Hall. Fifth row seats. It was the Powerslave tour, maybe one of the shows they recorded for Live After Death. Still one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Couple other not early, but very cool concert memories...

On a visit to NY in 2001 I saw Mike Stern at the 55 Bar in the West Village. Seeing a guy like that in a tiny little joint was amazing.

My band in the 90s played the small room of a local club on the same night that Michael Schenker played the main showroom. We snuck in after our set. I think it was some incarnation of UFO. The memory is actually a little hazy ( :cheers: ), but I do recall a killer Rock Bottom solo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:34 am 

Mutt

The 70's were an unbelievable time for gigs. Only the massive artists would play stadium arenas, but below that, because there was no internet or MTV etc. all the rest of the bands just had to tour and tour and tour. It was the only way of making a name and building a following. In the UK there were 2 or 3 rock newspapers (NME, SOUNDS and MELODY MAKER) and they were the only sources of information.

The college scene was huge. The headliner at my freshers week at Uni were 'Heart'. I also remember seeing Blondie, The Boomtown Rats, Elvis Costello and Ian Dury all within 4 or 5 weeks on the Uni campus.

Another memory: -

My 'gig buddy' Tom went to see Derek and the Dominos in the UK in I think 1970 and said that he was chatting to a guy at the bar when Clapton came across and said 'Hey Bobby' (Whitlock), the support band hasn't turned up, lets go and jam for an hour'. With that, the guy said 'bye' and went up on stage and did just that. Then took a 15 minute break and came back and played a full DATD set as well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:39 am 

I'd tried since 1994's Rolling Stones concert at Valle Hovin in Oslo to get a chance to see a major act perform live, but something always got in the way. In '94 I was too young, according to my parents, and it wasn't until 11 years later that I got to go to my first real concert. 19 years old, seeing Judas Priest reunited. It was an amazing experience, and I stood pretty close to Glenn Tipton during the show. My feet were killing me, my neck hurt from all the headbanging, and I had no voice left from singing along to all the classics. Couldn't have been happier.

Since then, I've seen Metallica, Roger Waters, Lady Gaga, The Darkness, Muse, Hot Club de Norvége, Guthrie Govan, Chris Thompson & Mads Eriksen, and my latest gig was Dream Theater with my then-girlfriend.

Magical moments. Only thing I regret is not being more adamant about getting to see Dio live. To this day, it's my biggest regret. Others I really hope to see live before they retire are Rush and Allan Holdsworth.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:58 am 

Not by design but good luck on my part saw Deep Purple and Jethro Tull in 1971, on the Canadian home front, April Wine played my school dances (I believe they were called Silver Moon then), saw Rush before their first album came out, they were an opening act (probably a crowd of 75 - 100 people) .... has tickets a number of times for Black Sabbath but each one was cancelled for one reason or another including one concert during the Gillan era ... Take care

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:13 am 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
Only thing I regret is not being more adamant about getting to see Dio live. To this day, it's my biggest regret.

Regrets, now that's an idea. Had tix to see Hendrix in June of 69 at huge outdoor show at Devonshire Downs in So Cal but got sidetracked by the promises of an older woman. You U K friends will remember 'Rockpile'. A great pub band, came to my area and I passed thinking they will be back now that they've 'made it'. Never came back and broke up soon after.

Here's a fun memory, another from the earliest days. Went to a tiny club to hear Blue Cheer, they were so loud most of the small crowd ( me and friends included ) picked up our fold up chairs and went to the parking lot to finish the show. They sounded great from there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:22 pm 

My first concert was Three Dog Night around 1972. I went for the warm-up band, Black Oak Arkansas who I were into at the time.
I suffered hearing damage at my next concert. :ugh: Grand Funk Railroad, probably same year. Was second row, under a massive speaker bank, no earplugs.
My favorite small club show is by far, Gojira at Mill City in Mpls., 2013. Also saw Megadeth at a small club here in town. That was pretty good too.
I also make it a point to attend all my nephews metal band (Abolition of Man) shows locally.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:14 pm 

Considering all these great memories, global and local to us all I will be putting together a new list. 100 Greatest Clubs !
Rock, Blues, Soul, Country, Jazz, whatever that have existed or still do exist. Not talking about the giant arena stuff like Wembley or Madison Square Garden etc etc etc. Clubs, small, medium, thinking they should have name recognition in the biz, not neighborhood warehouse or basement places that were here and gone in a matter of months or thereabouts.

Both Fillmore East & West qualify, The Troubador and Whiskey A-Go-Go in L A .....Winterland in S F, CBGB's The Electric Circus, both in NYC, you get the picture........any suggestions would be welcomed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:37 pm 

Certainly, First Ave. in Minneapolis qualifies. I believe Prince used to play there just starting out.
The club is featured in "Purple Rain"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:16 pm 

invertt wrote:
Certainly, First Ave. in Minneapolis qualifies. I believe Prince used to play there just starting out.
The club is featured in "Purple Rain"

I was there is 1997 ... Take care

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:25 am 

invertt wrote:
My first concert was Three Dog Night around 1972. I went for the warm-up band, Black Oak Arkansas who I were into at the time.
I suffered hearing damage at my next concert. :ugh: Grand Funk Railroad, probably same year. Was second row, under a massive speaker bank, no earplugs.
My favorite small club show is by far, Gojira at Mill City in Mpls., 2013. Also saw Megadeth at a small club here in town. That was pretty good too.
I also make it a point to attend all my nephews metal band (Abolition of Man) shows locally.

I think hearing damage is a given after 40 years of gigging !!

Mine occurred early on in around 76 when we went to see AC/DC in Manchester at the 'Hop & Grape'. Had my drunken head pretty well inside a speaker bin for the whole show and couldn't hear for 3 days afterwards. Luckily my Tinnitus is not too bad, but I do take plugs to gigs just in case.

As for iconic clubs

The Marquee is a given, as is the Roundhouse in London. Also probably the Astoria. The Paradiso club in Amsterdam is legendary.

I think Rick said he has been to the 'Baked Potato' in LA. That looks amazing. Bonamassa played there a few times with 'Rock Candy Funk Party' and the videos for that are just great.

What I miss are the small clubs where 400 people is packed. I know Nick goes to 'The Brook' in Southampton and there are still some of these venues left, but they are few and far between.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:25 am 

the baked potato is excellent... i think 50 people would be considered packed to the brim there... some years ago there i sat shoulder to shoulder with allan holdsworth for a good ten minutes without realising it until he turned around and said "excuse me" and proceeded to the stage to melt our faces... seeing carl verheyen there up close was a great pleasure, too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:40 pm 

Yes I have been to the Baked Potato, went to The Ashgrove as a kid a bunch before it burned down ( this was The Eagles 'Sad Cafe' song ) Yoshi's in S F is another, The Apollo of course. Café Au Go-Go. The Belly Up Tavern in Solano Beach Ca is a Blues legend but always was small until fairly recently but I'd consider it, Trying to remember the places Elvis played in the beginning and The Beatles at the Cavern Club.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:25 pm 

My first concert was Van Halen in 1991. Then I saw other great metal bands form those years like Motley Cure, Metallica, Guns, Ozzy, Kiss, Pantera, Iron Maiden, etc.