It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any guitarists out there? (What do you guitar?)
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:56 pm 

i didn't see a gear thread in these pages, maybe i missed it. anyway, what do you guys play?

mine...

Guitars: Squier Jazzmaster in standard tuning, Squier Strat in Open D, and a Yamaha Pacifica that i need to fix up and figure out something to do with now that i got the Jazzmaster as my main one. might stick it in Open G and see what happens. my main acoustic is an Ibanez.

Amp: just ordered a Fender Pro Junior III. will be my first real amp. i've been using a little Peavey Blazer up until now, which is not bad for being a $60 practice amp, but it's not cutting it now.

Pedals: EHX Big Muff (fuzz), EHX Soul Food (overdrive), Dunlop Cry Baby (wah), and EHX Micro POG (octave)

Strings: GHS Boomers (12-52) on the Jazzmaster, Ernie Ball M-Steel Power Slinkys (11-something) on the Squier Strat. the others just have whatever was lying around at the time.

Post subject: Re: Any guitarists out there? (What do you guitar?)
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:02 pm 

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=334

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:56 pm 

It's fun and games over at the Den.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:06 pm 

Right now I'm playing a Parker PM-10 with Singer Pickups. They're not great, but I don't gig so they get the job done for me. The neck pickup is actually really nice on this. I also have an old Ibanez Roadstar which is good, but it's in desperate need of a tune-up.

My amp is a Yamaha THR 10X. Lovely amp.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:13 pm 

Lemme join in. My main guitar is a custom Telecaster. Body and neck from USA Custom, hardware from Callaham Vintage Guitars & Parts, and Joe Barden Gatton T-Style Pickups. (Best damn pickups you'll ever find for a Tele.)

My next favorite is an Epiphone from the early 60's ('62 or '63). It's either a Wilshire or Crestwood model. Overall this guitar is kind of a mystery. Got it for free from some guys I knew who found it in their junkyard, real beat up. Later had someone estimate the price at about $5000. Only one I've named, called The Horse.

That's really all the interesting stuff I have.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:14 pm 

eric johnson strat, wildwood thinskin '54 strat, '52 RI telecaster, 1975 martin D-28, 1968 ramirez concert classical.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:06 am 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
A couple different setups:

OLP John Petrucci w/ Dimarzio Tone Zone (Bridge) and Air Norton (Neck) > Boss ME-50 > Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff > Fender Bassman 250W

Epiphone Emperor Swingster (see below :smile:) > Boss ME-50 > Boss DS-1 > Fender Bassman 250W

Just got this Epiphone Hollowbody used for $520. I looooove it! So much tonal variety, the strings sing out beautifully with clarity on each string (which is much different than my Petrucci), and it stays in tune like a champ. The tone is much brighter than I'm used to, but with some time, I think I'll be able to find some tones that I really like. If you come across one of these, I highly recommend playing around with it. By far the best Epiphone I've ever played.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:08 am 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
Does anyone here have much experience with Loopers? I've always wanted to play around with one to help w my songwriting and ability to improvise, but I've never been able to justify spending the money. Do you guys think it's worth it? Or are there alternatives that are comparable / superior?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:37 am 

American Deluxe Strat, 69 Thinline MIM Tele RI, Gibson SG-X (budget SG from the 90s), Maton em225c and a Deluxe Reverb RI Amp

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:43 am 

Cruz wrote:
Does anyone here have much experience with Loopers? I've always wanted to play around with one to help w my songwriting and ability to improvise, but I've never been able to justify spending the money. Do you guys think it's worth it? Or are there alternatives that are comparable / superior?

I have a TC electronic ditto looper and i'd highly recommend getting one if you have the money, mine was 150 Australian though usually everything is cheaper in the states. You can just jam on those things for hours and practice your improv really easily.

rockvirtuoso wrote:
eric johnson strat, wildwood thinskin '54 strat, '52 RI telecaster, 1975 martin D-28, 1968 ramirez concert classical.

Nice, what amp you playing through?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:17 am 

i bought a TC Electronic Ditto Looper and it just didn't work for me. everybody else who has one loves it though, fwiw. and its only like $120. simple, relatively affordable and highly enjoyed by most. but for some reason, i just couldn't stay with it. it felt like it would lag at times or skip. like just fractions of a second, but enough to throw me all off. but i've never seen anyone else say that, so i assume it was me. my drummer was having the same problem when i took it over to him. we just couldn't stay with the loop. and it wasn't just the start/end of the loop. i could play a 3 minute repeated chord progression and we would still seem to get way off the beat at times. but my band has never attempted to use a metronome or anything, and i imagine that musicians subconsciously just adjust to one another in live settings, which a looper wouldn't be able to do. so maybe we both just don't keep time consistently and never noticed until we had a computer trying to play with us.

idk, but regardless it wasn't for me. it's the only thing i've ever returned, and used the money towards the squier jazzmaster. all's well that ends well.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:57 am 

Cruz wrote:
A couple different setups:

OLP John Petrucci w/ Dimarzio Tone Zone (Bridge) and Air Norton (Neck) > Boss ME-50 > Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff > Fender Bassman 250W

Epiphone Emperor Swingster (see below :smile:) > Boss ME-50 > Boss DS-1 > Fender Bassman 250W

Just got this Epiphone Hollowbody used for $520. I looooove it! So much tonal variety, the strings sing out beautifully with clarity on each string (which is much different than my Petrucci), and it stays in tune like a champ. The tone is much brighter than I'm used to, but with some time, I think I'll be able to find some tones that I really like. If you come across one of these, I highly recommend playing around with it. By far the best Epiphone I've ever played.

Crazy that you still have the OLP. I remember recommending it to you years ago. I wish I never sold mine (different model though). Absolutely lovely guitar for the money I paid.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:01 am 

pave wrote:
Amp: just ordered a Fender Pro Junior III. will be my first real amp.

got this today, holy wow its awesome. some thoughts:

1. i don't even know what to do with such a good clean tone, as i've literally never played clean in my life (besides just playing acoustic obviously). just never could get a usable clean tone on any of the amps i've played on, so i never bothered. its the most striking difference between the cheap amps i've used vs this one (and its not like this is high-end either).

2. i don't know if its the tubes or the speaker or what, but this thing literally makes my body feel different. its a thrilling feeling. only ever felt it during really loud bassy parts in movies at the theater with the surround sound, and during concerts when i'm close to the stage. like the bass is pumping my heart. holy shit.

3. size and volume wise, this is absolutely perfect. its as small and portable as any of my practice amps (a bit heavier obviously, but not much). and it cranks out plenty enough for any place i'll ever play without it mic'd anyway.

4. this thing has 2 knobs (volume and tone). and i don't feel like i'm missing anything honestly. simplicity at its finest.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:37 am 

Sodacake wrote:
Crazy that you still have the OLP. I remember recommending it to you years ago. I wish I never sold mine (different model though). Absolutely lovely guitar for the money I paid.

And another thank you for recommending it! :biggrin: It has served me well over the years and I've been told many times that it sounds like a much more expensive guitar than it is. It's far more than lived up to the investment.

What guitar are you speaking about that you wish you hadn't sold?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:18 am 

i had the OLP MM1. lovely neck and it's the guitar i really learned how to play on. i've been tempted to replace it with one of the newer, more expensive Sterling models.