DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Films of 2010
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:21 pm 

See latest post.

Last edited by Dreww on Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:28 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
I thought you like Youth in Revolt :confused:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:29 pm 

I do, that's why I said it's okay/flawed but enjoyable. You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger is the only film I saw this year that I actively disliked.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:31 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Well of course, but I thought you had really liked it, as a film.
That was the very beginning of the year though...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:42 pm 

Enter the No Merits

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:44 pm 

I'm going by RYM year and according to them it's 2009. I'm holding off scoring it until I see it on Blu anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:09 pm 

yeah i usually go by u.s. release dates for the years in which I have been an active film goer (pretty much late mid 90's to date) since I really did not see the film till then. With older films like before I was born, I go with what ever date imdb/rym tells me to. Idk it's weird, in some cases fool's just dont recognize like some dudes over at criterionforum have White Ribbon on their list this year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:22 pm 

National Board of Review gave best picture to Social Network (no real surprise), and i was pleasantly surprised that Shutter Island was in its 10 runner-ups. which included Another Year, The Fighter, Hereafter, Inception, The King’s Speech, Shutter Island, The Town, Toy Story 3, True Grit, Winter’s Bone. it also has an independent category which were Animal Kingdom, Buried, Fish Tank, The Ghost Writer, Greenberg, Let Me In, Monsters, Please Give, Somewhere, Youth in Revolt.

no Black Swan, 127 Hours, or Kids Are All Right

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:33 pm 

man if those are what we are putting up high this year, then 2010 has been an average year (if that). Hopefully the foreign market impresses me, which probably will judging on the auteurs I admire who have been releasing shit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:36 pm 

Oh my gosh. Why are there a bunch of British indies being evaluated by the National Board of Review? They should either start giving more attention to the plethora of struggling indie artists in this country or change their name--Fish Tank and Another Year are already hyped to high hell in Britain, do we really need them taking up space over here, where a bazillion homegrown indie films die forever, every year? You're telling me there is not one good American indie film this year that The New Yorker did not already spew all over the place, and that we therefore need some Cannes-smash British films to come fill out our roster? I seriously cannot comprehend it. Britain is already showing these same movies on fucking Film4. We don't have one of those in America, which is why we need the National Board of Review to suggest similar unknown films made here, not just repeat the established semi-arthouse hits of the US studios and borrow the safest ones from abroad. And what is their working definition of indie anyway? Roman Polanski and Sophia Coppola are indie now? Yeah, I bet those two really had to scrounge around to find some money and have no connections to the studios whatsoever, bona-fide independents, I'm sure. I suppose Return of the Clones is indie too. The term seems to have lost all meaning. Actually brilliant, independent , underpromoted films from this country like Wah Do Dem and NY: Opus Jazz sit around gathering dust while the National Board of Review, the self-appointed artistic evaluators who have the opportunity to champion films that everyone hasn't already heard of, stuffs its "indie" category full of celebrities like Cera, Polanski, Coppola, and Ben Stiller? Somebody hunt down the voters for these places and kill them with guns and put some people in who are actually interested in exploring cinema rather than reshuffling the metacritic columns.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:31 pm 

to be fair, its not their job to promote under-the-radar films. you gotta realize that for a majority of the american population, all of those films are underpromoted. these types of awards usually recognize the year's most acclaimed films, which means its pretty much expected for them to re-hash stuff. it only feels that way to people like us who actively seek out and read reviews all year long. for most people, they'd never actually hear of any of those films without the year end awards. and i dont see why hype from the year should be a negative on a year end list...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:34 pm 

pave wrote:
to be fair, its not their job to promote under-the-radar films.

I'm saying it should be. Why do we need 3948071043987123 versions of the Oscars?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:35 pm 

Dreww wrote:
Actually brilliant, independent , underpromoted films from this country like Wah Do Dem and NY: Opus Jazz sit around gathering dust while the National Board of Review, the self-appointed artistic evaluators who have the opportunity to champion films that everyone hasn't already heard of, stuffs its "indie" category full of celebrities like Cera, Polanski, Coppola, and Ben Stiller?

they wouldn't be the only people who thought Greenberg and Ghost Writer were better than Wah Do Dem. you make it sound like Wah Do Dem is a universally regarded masterpiece or something. sure, you find it brilliant. but that doesn't mean the National Board of Review sucks because they didn't. i'm not following your train of thought here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:36 pm 

Dreww wrote:
pave wrote:
to be fair, its not their job to promote under-the-radar films.

I'm saying it should be. Why do we need 3948071043987123 versions of the Oscars?

you aren't gonna see any of those indies at the Oscars.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:39 pm 

pave wrote:
Dreww wrote:
Actually brilliant, independent , underpromoted films from this country like Wah Do Dem and NY: Opus Jazz sit around gathering dust while the National Board of Review, the self-appointed artistic evaluators who have the opportunity to champion films that everyone hasn't already heard of, stuffs its "indie" category full of celebrities like Cera, Polanski, Coppola, and Ben Stiller?

they wouldn't be the only people who thought Greenberg and Ghost Writer were better than Wah Do Dem. you make it sound like Wah Do Dem is a universally regarded masterpiece or something. sure, you find it brilliant. but that doesn't mean the National Board of Review sucks because they didn't. i'm not following your train of thought here.

The brilliant is separate from the point which is not that small films are good and big films are bad, but: why the fuck is The Ghost Writer in the indie category when actual independent films are not? Does "indie" = "celebrity-filled movie with big Hollywood stars and big Hollywood money that happened to start in limited release"? Maybe this is senseless but I feel like an "indie" featuring a film by the guy who directed goddamn Chinatown is a fucking hysterical joke.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next