It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:30 am 

From the Kubrick thread...
PBR Streetgang wrote:
Avery_Island wrote:
1980 The Shining - Agh! The horror buff in me can't let this one go. Kubrick isn't made for horror films. 6

Lol the horror buff in me knows that The Shining is one of the very best horror films ever made. Don't hate, Avery, just let go and allow The Shining to work its magic on you.

This shit is just eye candy of the highest order, and to have this kind of imagery in a classy, unconventional horror flick is just... liberating.

Seriously... You gonna find shit like this in a Polanski movie? Didn't think so :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:48 am 

The scene with the guy in the bear suit creeps me out to this day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:47 am 

the bear suit scene is definitely one of the creepiest i've seen in a horror. the whole section where she runs around and witnesses all that creepy shit is terrific, as is the part where Danny sees the girls, then his visions flashes back & forth between them and their bloody corpses. great, great film

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:06 am 

Yeah, the great thing about the Danny/twin girls thing for me is that Kubrick works with abrupt cuts. He doesn't gradually reveal the bloody aftermath, it's there immediately and then it's gone just as quickly as it appeared.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:10 am 

PBR Streetgang wrote:
Yeah, the great thing about the Danny/twin girls thing for me is that Kubrick works with abrupt cuts. He doesn't gradually reveal the bloody aftermath, it's there immediately and then it's gone just as quickly as it appeared.

i actually jumped a little when that happened. so scary.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:12 am 

PBR Streetgang wrote:
Seriously... You gonna find shit like this in a Polanski movie? Didn't think so :wink:

Oh just to clarify: I think Polanski has also used some absolutely brilliant imagery in some of his films (The Tenant, Chinatown, The Ghost Writer)... So it's not like I think Polanski isn't a great visual director, but it's far from his best quality as a director.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:50 am 

Meh. I still don't think that the Shining was that original and creativity is way too subjective a criteria to use imo. Still think that Suspria is far better looking and did the similar style a few years before.

Almost every scene could be a photograph: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cp ... 0QWwnYCCBw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:54 am 

I kinda hate that still of the girls all bloody and axe-murdered. In the film, it flashes so fast and leaves you with just an impression of the violence that's been committed, and then your mind pops in to fill in all the blanks and your imagination makes it far worse and far scarier than anything that actually looking at that still of it up above could do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:10 am 

Avery_Island wrote:
Meh. I still don't think that the Shining was that original and creativity is way too subjective a criteria to use imo. Still think that Suspria is far better looking and did the similar style a few years before.

Almost every scene could be a photograph: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cp ... 0QWwnYCCBw

The Shining of course has MUCH better acting and a more intriguing plot, but I think Suspiria is scarier. That shit freaked me out when I first saw it. The infamous 'beating heart' scene is just....disturbing. That was pretty radical stuff for 1977, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:22 pm 

Oh yeah I fucking LOVE Suspiria. Top 10 horror for sure. But I don't think it's better looking than The Shining. In fact I'm not even sure if I consider it Argento's best looking film. Re-watched The Bird With the Crystal Plumage on bluray the other day and man I was baffled. So wonderfully shot by Storaro. Suspiria looks wonderful of course and it's definitely a better film.

Now that we're on the subject of good-looking, well shot horror films... A horror gem I highly recommend to all of you dawgs is Kwaidan by Masaki Kobayashi. One of the most exquisitely shot horror films I have ever seen. An anthology of four Japanese ghost stories. So good, dudes, so good...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:35 pm 

Man as much as I love horror, you'd think I would be an expert on the genre by now.
So much I need to check out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:03 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Tudwell wrote:
I kinda hate that still of the girls all bloody and axe-murdered. In the film, it flashes so fast and leaves you with just an impression of the violence that's been committed, and then your mind pops in to fill in all the blanks and your imagination makes it far worse and far scarier than anything that actually looking at that still of it up above could do.

Wait you hate that? You just described one of the most effective techniques in all of storytelling.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:12 pm 

Sherick wrote:
Tudwell wrote:

Wait you hate that? You just described one of the most effective techniques in all of storytelling.

Oh, sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I love that technique. I hate that still up above because it undermines the technique used in the film.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:09 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Oh, I see. Carry on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:43 am 

PBR Streetgang wrote:
Oh yeah I fucking LOVE Suspiria. Top 10 horror for sure. But I don't think it's better looking than The Shining. In fact I'm not even sure if I consider it Argento's best looking film. Re-watched The Bird With the Crystal Plumage on bluray the other day and man I was baffled. So wonderfully shot by Storaro. Suspiria looks wonderful of course and it's definitely a better film.

Now that we're on the subject of good-looking, well shot horror films... A horror gem I highly recommend to all of you dawgs is Kwaidan by Masaki Kobayashi. One of the most exquisitely shot horror films I have ever seen. An anthology of four Japanese ghost stories. So good, dudes, so good...

Cheers, PBR. Just ordered this off amazon now. Is it best to watch it as one long film or watch the stories individually?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next