It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:05 am
Posts: 2155
Location: Blackpowder Orchard
From the Kubrick thread...
PBR Streetgang wrote:
Avery_Island wrote:
1980 The Shining - Agh! The horror buff in me can't let this one go. Kubrick isn't made for horror films. 6

Lol the horror buff in me knows that The Shining is one of the very best horror films ever made. Don't hate, Avery, just let go and allow The Shining to work its magic on you.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

This shit is just eye candy of the highest order, and to have this kind of imagery in a classy, unconventional horror flick is just... liberating.



Seriously... You gonna find shit like this in a Polanski movie? Didn't think so :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:38 am
Posts: 9378
Location: Blackwater Park
The scene with the guy in the bear suit creeps me out to this day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:04 am
Posts: 2314
Location: i'll send you to billy's
the bear suit scene is definitely one of the creepiest i've seen in a horror. the whole section where she runs around and witnesses all that creepy shit is terrific, as is the part where Danny sees the girls, then his visions flashes back & forth between them and their bloody corpses. great, great film


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:05 am
Posts: 2155
Location: Blackpowder Orchard
Yeah, the great thing about the Danny/twin girls thing for me is that Kubrick works with abrupt cuts. He doesn't gradually reveal the bloody aftermath, it's there immediately and then it's gone just as quickly as it appeared.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:04 am
Posts: 2314
Location: i'll send you to billy's
PBR Streetgang wrote:
Yeah, the great thing about the Danny/twin girls thing for me is that Kubrick works with abrupt cuts. He doesn't gradually reveal the bloody aftermath, it's there immediately and then it's gone just as quickly as it appeared.


i actually jumped a little when that happened. so scary.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:05 am
Posts: 2155
Location: Blackpowder Orchard
PBR Streetgang wrote:
Seriously... You gonna find shit like this in a Polanski movie? Didn't think so :wink:


Oh just to clarify: I think Polanski has also used some absolutely brilliant imagery in some of his films (The Tenant, Chinatown, The Ghost Writer)... So it's not like I think Polanski isn't a great visual director, but it's far from his best quality as a director.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:50 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:23 am
Posts: 2714
Location: Portsmouth, Portsea Island, UK
Meh. I still don't think that the Shining was that original and creativity is way too subjective a criteria to use imo. Still think that Suspria is far better looking and did the similar style a few years before.

Almost every scene could be a photograph: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cp ... 0QWwnYCCBw


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:06 am
Posts: 5209
I kinda hate that still of the girls all bloody and axe-murdered. In the film, it flashes so fast and leaves you with just an impression of the violence that's been committed, and then your mind pops in to fill in all the blanks and your imagination makes it far worse and far scarier than anything that actually looking at that still of it up above could do.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14160
Avery_Island wrote:
Meh. I still don't think that the Shining was that original and creativity is way too subjective a criteria to use imo. Still think that Suspria is far better looking and did the similar style a few years before.

Almost every scene could be a photograph: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cp ... 0QWwnYCCBw


The Shining of course has MUCH better acting and a more intriguing plot, but I think Suspiria is scarier. That shit freaked me out when I first saw it. The infamous 'beating heart' scene is just....disturbing. That was pretty radical stuff for 1977, imo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:05 am
Posts: 2155
Location: Blackpowder Orchard
Oh yeah I fucking LOVE Suspiria. Top 10 horror for sure. But I don't think it's better looking than The Shining. In fact I'm not even sure if I consider it Argento's best looking film. Re-watched The Bird With the Crystal Plumage on bluray the other day and man I was baffled. So wonderfully shot by Storaro. Suspiria looks wonderful of course and it's definitely a better film.

Now that we're on the subject of good-looking, well shot horror films... A horror gem I highly recommend to all of you dawgs is Kwaidan by Masaki Kobayashi. One of the most exquisitely shot horror films I have ever seen. An anthology of four Japanese ghost stories. So good, dudes, so good...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14160
Man as much as I love horror, you'd think I would be an expert on the genre by now.
So much I need to check out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:03 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:22 pm
Posts: 6879
Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Tudwell wrote:
I kinda hate that still of the girls all bloody and axe-murdered. In the film, it flashes so fast and leaves you with just an impression of the violence that's been committed, and then your mind pops in to fill in all the blanks and your imagination makes it far worse and far scarier than anything that actually looking at that still of it up above could do.


Wait you hate that? You just described one of the most effective techniques in all of storytelling.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:06 am
Posts: 5209
Sherick wrote:
Tudwell wrote:
I kinda hate that still of the girls all bloody and axe-murdered. In the film, it flashes so fast and leaves you with just an impression of the violence that's been committed, and then your mind pops in to fill in all the blanks and your imagination makes it far worse and far scarier than anything that actually looking at that still of it up above could do.


Wait you hate that? You just described one of the most effective techniques in all of storytelling.


Oh, sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I love that technique. I hate that still up above because it undermines the technique used in the film.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:09 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:22 pm
Posts: 6879
Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Oh, I see. Carry on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:43 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:23 am
Posts: 2714
Location: Portsmouth, Portsea Island, UK
PBR Streetgang wrote:
Oh yeah I fucking LOVE Suspiria. Top 10 horror for sure. But I don't think it's better looking than The Shining. In fact I'm not even sure if I consider it Argento's best looking film. Re-watched The Bird With the Crystal Plumage on bluray the other day and man I was baffled. So wonderfully shot by Storaro. Suspiria looks wonderful of course and it's definitely a better film.

Now that we're on the subject of good-looking, well shot horror films... A horror gem I highly recommend to all of you dawgs is Kwaidan by Masaki Kobayashi. One of the most exquisitely shot horror films I have ever seen. An anthology of four Japanese ghost stories. So good, dudes, so good...


Cheers, PBR. Just ordered this off amazon now. Is it best to watch it as one long film or watch the stories individually?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page