DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:16 pm 

PBR Streetgang wrote:
he did just that

Was disappointed by Bride of Re-animator. Enjoyable gore movie, but from what I heard, it supposedly rivaled the original in awesomeness. Not the case at all.

I think that may have been me who said that, the general opinion is Re-Animator is the best, but I prefer Bride.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:04 pm 

Avery_Island wrote:
the general opinion is Re-Animator is the best, but I prefer Bride.
Can you defend that statement please?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:45 pm 

I just enjoyed watching it more, what's else to say?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:53 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:
Anyone else think Carrie is a masterpiece?

Most definitely. My commentary on it, from the Last Movie You Saw thread:

Lostio wrote:
Carrie (SPOILERS)

I always thought this was one of those horror movies that usually gets overlooked or slightly underrated. I truly love it and it's hard to think of it as a conventional horror movie, but that's precisely what I like about it. Brian de Palma managed to create one of the subtlest types of creepy atmosphere throughout the course of the entire movie. From simple excentric camera shots (the endless twirling with Tommy and Carrie at the prom), to scenes that focus on exaggerated little lines of dialogue (like the school principal getting Carrie's name wrong about 3 or 4 times in a row), there's a distinctive tone to the movie centered around excentricity that gives it a very creepy atmosphere. I find it admirable how there is a clear crescendo of this tone during the course of the movie - in the beginning, it starts as minor aspects (Carrie having her first period), then it becomes increasingly greater (Carrie's discussions with mom at home) to the ultimate climax. Piper Laurie and Sissy Spacek are top notch, but, against popular opinion, I believe it's Sissy who delivers the best performance. Piper Laurie is amazing in embodying the religious fanatic, managing to join insanity with the feelings of a concerned mother in a most frightening way, but it's the personal rollercoaster ride that Carrie has to go through which makes Sissy's performance stand out for me. The prom scene, of course, is remarkable in every way, and it really marked the movie for me. I'm usually not a big fan of cheap, easy-scare tricks like the bloody hand at the end, but I think it captures the spirit of the movie of inserting something horrifying in an atmosphere where it seems out of place (high school) so well that I'm willing to say it really worked.

One of my personal favorite horror movies.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:29 am 

Great review, I agree with all of that, especially Piper Laurie. Sometimes I'm inclined to think that she delivered the best performance in the film.
STILL creeps me out to this day...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:57 am 

Avery_Island wrote:
I just enjoyed watching it more, what's else to say?

I can't think of anything, that's why I'm asking you :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:07 am 

I think Avery can back me up on this, but for those who havent seen it, you REALLY need to see The Exorcist III.
It is seriously on par with the original, imo. Not as 'shocking' of course, but it's more of a psychological mind-fuck thriller that is just brilliantly put together.

Brad Dourif should've won a fucking award for his performance. Watch it and tell me I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:39 am 

I wouldn't say it's on par with the original, but it's certainly an excellent and underrated film.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:49 pm 

There wasn't one second of that film where I thought Dourif was acting.
He was that good.

And of course, George C. Scott in that final scene....man I need to get the damn movie.
Haven't seen it in years.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:27 am 

re-watched Shivers last night

not as amazing as i remembered, but still an excellent horror flick and a remarkable feature debut.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:32 am 

I never quite got into Shivers. May be one of those films you had to be in the right mood to watch though, I remember being pretty tired at the time when I watched it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:42 pm 

Anyone else think Black Christmas is overrated?
I remember renting it a while back and being very underwhelmed.

The only great thing was seeing a young, very hot pre-Amityville Margot Kidder.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:57 pm 

I feel Rosemary's Baby is too low, but hey maybe that's just me. I've always found it top 10 horror movies of all time material all around

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:44 pm 

Classic Rock Junkie wrote:
I feel Rosemary's Baby is too low, but hey maybe that's just me. I've always found it top 10 horror movies of all time material all around

I'm inclined to agree.
I think it beats something like The Shining, for instance, in everything except popularity and acclaim.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:25 am 

Negative Creep wrote:
Anyone else think Black Christmas is overrated?
I remember renting it a while back and being very underwhelmed.

The only great thing was seeing a young, very hot pre-Amityville Margot Kidder.

Well I honestly don't know its acclaim so I can't say whether it's overrated or not. I can say, however, that it was not as good as I had expected it to be. I loved the opening sequence, which should at least get some credit for doing what John Carpenter famously did four years later. But the rest of the film didn't really impress me.

Negative Creep wrote:
Classic Rock Junkie wrote:

I'm inclined to agree.
I think it beats something like The Shining, for instance, in everything except popularity and acclaim.

I hope you're kidding... Rosemary's Baby more original or creative than The Shining (how are these not necessary criteria for the list btw?)? I think you must take another close look at The Shining's imagery, the lighting and the sound of the film. Don't take this to mean that I don't hold Rosemary's Baby in extremely high regard, it is an all time favourite horror film of mine. It's just that The Shining is much better and its impact was enormous. It does not have that much influence, though. Nobody ever made a film quite like this one. Whereas Rosemary's Baby with its supernatural suspense thriller element is something that has been redone countless times, so its influence is pretty massive.

Anyway, I love Rosemary's Baby a lot, but I love The Shining much more and I will defend that shit till death take me. Both are too low on this list, though. I think both should at least be above Alien, and imo also Jaws (a rewatch will maybe change my mind on that one, but atm I can't see Jaws in Top 10 spot...)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next