DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:39 pm 

Avery_Island wrote:
beyonddeities wrote:
I'm just going to assume that Last House To The Left, The Descent, Let The Right One In and the Cannibal Holocaust made it in.

:?: None of these are zombie films.

I think she was talking about the Horror List... which is the actual name of the thread. Btw, I couldn't find Let The Right One In in the list. Don't you find it as an horror film?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:01 pm 

Avery_Island wrote:
beyonddeities wrote:
I'm just going to assume that Last House To The Left, The Descent, Let The Right One In and the Cannibal Holocaust made it in.

:?: None of these are zombie films.
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:36 pm 

Ah, yes, that was me being dense, I'm sorry, I misread the "I'm just going to assume" comment as "I'm just going to pretend" mentioning them as though they weren't in the list, rather than not reading the list. Therfore, I thought the reference was to the zombie list, not the horror list.

I can put 28 Days Later above [REC] if people thank that it should be.

Let the Right One isn't in there, because when I was making this list I think it had only come out in the previous year or so, so it would have been too early to add it. Do we think it should be added now?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:00 pm 

Location: the south is a shithole from which no human decency can escape
It's the most critically acclaimed horror film in like, I dunno, ever.

I'm very surprised that Let Me In has gotten so much acclaim in it's own right, I was expecting it to be universally panned in the grand tradition of horror remakes.

Chloë Moretz is building up quite a solid reputation for a child actress.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:13 pm 

Yeah, I think it should be added now.

Do other think 28 Days Later should be ahead of [REC]? I will change it if so.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:16 pm 

I wouldn't mind it moving ahead but I don't think it's the clear tragedy some have presented it as. [REC] is a great film and I prefer it to either of the 28s, though I can see why 28 Days might get the edge because of popularity in addition to the acclaim.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:18 pm 

But re: popularity. Isn't that punishing [REC] because of its language in some ways, as a foreign language film is always going to be less popular? [REC] is definitely one of the most popular foreign language films in the last decade, in that it's one of the few that has really broken to the fringes of English speaking country's mainstream, which is why I find it hard to put 28DL over [REC] in terms of popularity and I do think [REC] had the slight advantage when coming to critical acclaim.

Last edited by Avery_Island on Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:22 pm 

Possibly. Like I said, I don't really care to spend much time arguing for REC to be lower because I prefer it by so much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:26 pm 

This reminds me that Danny Boyle could use his own thread in the director's forum.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:35 pm 

Avery_Island wrote:
I dunno, [REC] had a lot more acclaim and generally has a lot more credibility among horror fans than 28 Days Later. I know 28 Days Later is a lot more popular, but I find comparing popularity of American films and foreign films odd. [REC] is extremely popular for a foreign film amongst western film watchers.

[REC] is indeed very popular for a foreign film, but 28 Days Later is very popular for a British film also. The two get very similar scores on the most popular film websites - Rotten Tomatoes aside, which can be explained by the massive disparity in votes cast.

My biggest source of puzzlement at [REC]'s higher position is not due to critical acclaim or popularity but that 28 Days Later has greater importance on the zombie/infected sub-genre. 28 Days Later resurrected it and as a result its influence is stamped on many films that follow, including [REC] itself. If you look at the progression of films like these since 28 Days Later I think it pretty safe to say no 28 Days Later then no [REC], so to put [REC] higher seems wrong to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:10 am 

Fair enough, I'll move 28DL up then.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:33 pm 

How is The Exorcist III significant, acclaimed or influential? I know it's popular in cult circles, but enough to place it above Poltergeist? Same goes for Shivers and (to a lesser extent) Bad Taste. Probably should just move Poltergeist up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:44 pm 

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/10/20/pat ... er-remake/
:facepalm:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:06 pm 

We all knew that it was inevitable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:41 pm 

fearoftrains wrote:
How is The Exorcist III significant, acclaimed or influential? I know it's popular in cult circles, but enough to place it above Poltergeist? Same goes for Shivers and (to a lesser extent) Bad Taste. Probably should just move Poltergeist up.

Exorcist III has mixed reception from critics but really the consensus of film critics shouldn't be THAT important to the criteria here since film critics are generally pretty biased against the horror genre.

Among true horror fans Exorcist III is well respected, unlike Exorcist II it is a faithful sequel to the original and Brad Dourif was fucking terrifying, as usual.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next