DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:57 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Quote:
It's nothing intrinsic to subtitles, it's about the quality of dubbing. I watch a lot of Japanese animation and the vast majority of English dubs for it really aren't as good as the original Japanese, so watching the originals with subtitles is preferable. When it comes to live action there's also a much greater problem with lip syncing.

Of course, I'm just following the reasonings for not liking subs. I never once said dubbing is preferable, just why subtitles are annoying in any instance.

Quote:
The closest musical analogy to Neg's position would be dismissing music with lyrics in a different language in favour of over-dubbed lyrics in English performed by a different vocalist.

Again, that is an argument against dubbing, not in favor of subtitles. And since, unlike motion pictures, there is nothing to compete for your eyes' (or ears') attention, it is not a good analogy anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:51 pm 

Well since learning a new language comes with its own problems, one must pick the lesser annoyance. I don't see why you have a problem with people calling out Neg's dislike for subtitles. Given that a lot of horror dubs are shite and learning new languages is difficult and extremely time-consuming, questioning someone's aversion to subtitles, to the point that they wouldn't watch a film with them, seems perfectly legitimate to me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:17 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Seems more like expressing exasperations than anything, but I'm just playing devil's advocate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:13 pm 

I have no problems watching a film with subtitles if it's good enough. Horror is probably the only genre of film where I could do it though.

Anyway, watched Dream Warriors for the first time in quite a while last night. Been watching this movie since I was like 8 years old, and it STILL doesn't get old. People can say what they want about sequels, this movie is like a part of my DNA at this point. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:50 am 

That one's probably my favourite Nightmare on Elm Street.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:27 am 

You like it more than the original?

I also dont understand why part 2 gets such a bad rap. Yeah the acting sucks, but that's not why I watch horror in the first place.
The first 3 Nightmares will always be the best because Fred was still legitimately dark and evil. Starting with part 4, it got less-scary and put more emphasis on Fred being a wise-cracking funny guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:41 pm 

I've only seen the first 3 Elm Street films. And I haven't seen them in a long time, but I remember the first one being the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:42 pm 

I've only seen the first one and I thought it was neither particularly scary nor particularly good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:02 am 

I liked the first one. Not that scary but good nonetheless, and quite original. I can't say the same for Friday 13th, however. Just watched it yesterday and it iis most definitely one of my least favourite slashers atm. If you want to make a "teenagers getting killed" movie, you really have to work on your cinematic skills because otherwise the film is just empty as fuck. This one really had nothing to offer imo.

But the day before I watched Candyman, which is one helluva good horror movie. Visually it has moments of an almost Kubrick level. The choice to cast the characters in a slightly older age group than in usual slashers was very beneficial to the film. No ridiculous adolescent bullcrap and kids fucking around for want of something better to do. Candyman, while remaining very true to its genre, actually managed to achieve so much more than most other conventional slashers by adding a social dimension to the story: class and racial tensions are as important an aspect of this film as any of the horror elements in it. Highly recommended to the horror fans. And please watch this in as high definition as you can.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:06 am 

Yeah I've seen the first two Friday the 13th movies, thought they were both pretty lame.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:11 am 

Quote:
I liked the first one. Not that scary but good nonetheless,

Not scary? Well I guess everyone's different, but that film used to scare the fuck out of me when I was younger. Of course, you're more impressionable at that age, but it still kinda creeps me out even to this day. The whole atmosphere of the film is so dark and evil, and I love how they keep Fred in the shadows most of the time, makes it so much more mysterious. Often times, it's what you DON'T see that scares you the most.
There were very little wise-cracks in the first one (and the second one), he was just straight-up despicable and devilish. That's what horror should be all about, imo.
Always my favorite horror film of all time.

Quote:
and quite original.

Oh yes. Wes is my man. Guy is smart and articulate as hell, and knows how to do his horror films. You still need to see Serpent And The Rainbow.

Quote:
I can't say the same for Friday 13th, however. Just watched it yesterday and it iis most definitely one of my least favourite slashers atm. If you want to make a "teenagers getting killed" movie, you really have to work on your cinematic skills because otherwise the film is just empty as fuck. This one really had nothing to offer imo.

I actually dont care much for the first Friday, but I love all the sequels. Is that weird? Ah who cares. I'm probably just biased because I grew up with these movies and they were such a profound part of my youth. I couldn't chastise them, not even for all the shitty acting and low-budget production.
Come on though, The Final Chapter was pretty awesome! In honesty probably the best in the series.

Quote:
But the day before I watched Candyman, which is one helluva good horror movie. Visually it has moments of an almost Kubrick level. The choice to cast the characters in a slightly older age group than in usual slashers was very beneficial to the film. No ridiculous adolescent bullcrap and kids fucking around for want of something better to do. Candyman, while remaining very true to its genre, actually managed to achieve so much more than most other conventional slashers by adding a social dimension to the story: class and racial tensions are as important an aspect of this film as any of the horror elements in it. Highly recommended to the horror fans. And please watch this in as high definition as you can.

Candyman is a classic. A very unique film and I agree with you. I remember it really freaking me out when I watched it as a kid.
Tony Todd played that part brilliantly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:23 pm 

he did just that

Was disappointed by Bride of Re-animator. Enjoyable gore movie, but from what I heard, it supposedly rivaled the original in awesomeness. Not the case at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:35 pm 

Anyone else think Carrie is a masterpiece?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:16 am 

no

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:29 pm 

Eh, it's probably the nostalgia factor again. I just cant escape it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next