DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:43 am 

Man I hate sitting through subtitles, but when it comes to horror I'd be willing to make an exception.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:41 am 

Negative Creep wrote:
Man I hate sitting through subtitles

Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:34 am 

Negative Creep wrote:
I've been meaning to check out the infamous film that gave Black Sabbath their name.

Is it any good?

It's in my top 10 films of all-time. Absolute classic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:52 pm 

Tudwell wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:
Man I hate sitting through subtitles

Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you?

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:10 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
So you'd rather read subtitles than listen to someone speak?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:21 pm 

Sherick wrote:
So you'd rather read subtitles than listen to someone speak?

Well, 1) you are listening to someone speak, albeit in a different language and 2) I never said I preferred it. I'm simply exasperated that someone would willingly cut off such a huge and significant portion of films. It's like refusing to listen to music that doesn't have electric guitar in it or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:42 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
You aren't listening to someone speak though; if you don't speak the language you might as well be listening to seals.
Nobody likes subtitles, they just deal with them. This douchy snob attitude most film people have about subtitles would make you think that they believe they drastically enhance the filmwatching experience when in fact they detract from it a little bit. But if anybody ever shows signs that they would prefer to not watch a subtitled film they lose all their douchy film snob points, so not wanting to read the movie as your trying to watch becomes paramount to heresy.

That is perhaps the worse analogy you could think to make btw. It's more like refusing to listening to music that has some of the parts removed and transcribed in linear notes that you are expected to follow along to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:08 pm 

When it comes to Italian horror though, dubbing is gen erally better than the subtitles, because the style of dubbing adds this really dream-like and wooden atmosphere. Also, generally half the actors are speaking in English and half in Italian, but yea, you have to make sure you get the right version of Black Sabbath as it was originally cut to death, or at least the first of the 3 shorts were, because it had a lesbain relationhip in it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:17 pm 

Sherick wrote:
You aren't listening to someone speak though; if you don't speak the language you might as well be listening to seals.

By the definition of every word I used in that sentence, you are listening to someone speak. You might not be able to understand the words in a literal sense, but you can still pick up on other cues (intonation, speed, pitch, tone of voice, etc.). It's not at all comparable to listening to seals.

Sherick wrote:
Nobody likes subtitles, they just deal with them.

I like them in the sense that without them I would often have no idea what was going on in a foreign movie.

Sherick wrote:
This douchy snob attitude most film people have about subtitles would make you think that they believe they drastically enhance the filmwatching experience when in fact they detract from it a little bit.

They certainly do detract from the experience, quite a bit. So much is often lost in translation - not to mention the time spent reading the subtitles at the bottom of the screen is time not spent watching what's actually going on in the movie. Nothing I wrote indicated anything to the contrary.

Sherick wrote:
But if anybody ever shows signs that they would prefer to not watch a subtitled film they lose all their douchy film snob points, so not wanting to read the movie as your trying to watch becomes paramount to heresy.

The subtext of Negative Creep's post at the top of the page is that he doesn't watch movies with subtitles. Preferring to watch movies in one's native tongue is probably normal, but that doesn't excuse dismissing out of hand any film in a foreign tongue. I don't care if I sound douchey. It's not hard to read subtitles. It's a stupid reason not to watch a film.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:56 pm 

Tudwell wrote:
By the definition of every word I used in that sentence, you are listening to someone speak. You might not be able to understand the words in a literal sense, but you can still pick up on other cues (intonation, speed, pitch, tone of voice, etc.). It's not at all comparable to listening to seals.

k

Quote:
I like them in the sense that without them I would often have no idea what was going on in a foreign movie.

Now who's playing semantics?

Quote:
They certainly do detract from the experience, quite a bit. So much is often lost in translation - not to mention the time spent reading the subtitles at the bottom of the screen is time not spent watching what's actually going on in the movie. Nothing I wrote indicated anything to the contrary.

Then it's completely understandable that someone who is not totally immersed in film and may not be interested in the artistic totality of cinema would be reluctant to watch a film with subtitles, right?

Quote:
The subtext of Negative Creep's post at the top of the page is that he doesn't watch movies with subtitles. Preferring to watch movies in one's native tongue is probably normal, but that doesn't excuse dismissing out of hand any film in a foreign tongue. I don't care if I sound douchey. It's not hard to read subtitles. It's a stupid reason not to watch a film.

The subtext was that he strongly dislikes viewing subtitled films, something which is relatable to the majority of the filmviewing public, and which we have already established is understandable.
Hm, guess that wasn't really subtext, since that is exactly what he said.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:52 pm 

This reminds me of an episode of Frasier when some woman asks him if he likes subtitles and his response is that he prefers them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:57 pm 

I never said I wouldn't watch a movie with subtitles, I just said I'd prefer not to.

Yeah, and I also think Roger Waters is a great lyricist.
What the fuck is wrong with me?

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:49 am 

Preferring not to watch films with subtitles, that's what! You miss out like crazy on the world's greatest films because of that. Get over it and start bingeing on foreign films, NC. Start with Kwaidan. Possibly the best non-English speaking horror film since Vampyr (which, you should not overlook either because it is a masterpiece in the genre)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:59 am 

Duly noted.
Likewise, you should overcome your thing about not watching sequels. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:50 pm 

Sherick wrote:

Erm, no. If you can't tell the emotional difference between the vocalising of fellow human beings and those of wild animals then there's something seriously wrong with you.

Sherick wrote:
Nobody likes subtitles, they just deal with them. This douchy snob attitude most film people have about subtitles would make you think that they believe they drastically enhance the filmwatching experience when in fact they detract from it a little bit. But if anybody ever shows signs that they would prefer to not watch a subtitled film they lose all their douchy film snob points, so not wanting to read the movie as your trying to watch becomes paramount to heresy.

It's nothing intrinsic to subtitles, it's about the quality of dubbing. I watch a lot of Japanese animation and the vast majority of English dubs for it really aren't as good as the original Japanese, so watching the originals with subtitles is preferable. When it comes to live action there's also a much greater problem with lip syncing.

Sherick wrote:
That is perhaps the worse analogy you could think to make btw. It's more like refusing to listening to music that has some of the parts removed and transcribed in linear notes that you are expected to follow along to.

The closest musical analogy to Neg's position would be dismissing music with lyrics in a different language in favour of over-dubbed lyrics in English performed by a different vocalist.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next