DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Horror Films
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:05 pm 

Wow it's hard to imagine the Conservative Vincent Price in a film that even slightly resembles Last House On The Left... :lol:

Definitely need to look into it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:07 pm 

Do. It's one of the greatest horror films of all time - it places number 38 on this list and 15 on Total Film's 50 greatest horror films list.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:58 pm 

I'm always up for discovering new horror films. :cheers:

On a different topic, does anyone else think that most remakes are shitty and unecessary?

Honestly, the only remake of a classic horror film that I thought was REALLY good, was A Nightmare On Elm Street.

But the remakes of Psycho, Hills Have Eyes, Friday The 13th, and many others, just flat-out suck, imo. Overdone with way too much emphasis on extreme violence and no subtlety whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:13 pm 

Yeah, but no more than in other genres. I've enjoyed a few remakes, sometimes more than the originals. Night of the Living Dead (1990), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Assault on Precinct 13 (2005), The Fly (1986), The Thing (1982) and Let Me In (2010) all range from good to excellent. It really depends on what they add to the original.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:25 pm 

Negative Creep wrote:

On a different topic, does anyone else think that most remakes are shitty and unecessary?

Honestly, the only remake of a classic horror film that I thought was REALLY good, was A Nightmare On Elm Street.

But the remakes of Psycho, Hills Have Eyes, Friday The 13th, and many others, just flat-out suck, imo. Overdone with way too much emphasis on extreme violence and no subtlety whatsoever.

That was a pile of shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:37 am 

Forgotten Son wrote:
Yeah, but no more than in other genres. I've enjoyed a few remakes, sometimes more than the originals. Night of the Living Dead (1990), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Assault on Precinct 13 (2005), The Fly (1986), The Thing (1982) and Let Me In (2010) all range from good to excellent. It really depends on what they add to the original.

Aside from The Fly and The Thing, which I've seen and loved, all those remakes look absolutely dreadful...

So, I just watched Hammer Horror's Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell, directed by Terence Fisher, and it is most definitely one of the best horror films I have ever seen. I am LOVING Terence Fisher. First came The Curse of the Werewolf which was really good, then came The Devil Rides Out, which was also a fine horror film and now this absolute masterpiece... I love this movie dearly from now on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:03 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
I've actually wanted to see Devil Rides Out. I've heard some good things about it, mainly over Lee's performance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:10 am 

I really need to see more Terence Fisher.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:17 am 

Location: the south is a shithole from which no human decency can escape
David Cronenberg's The Fly and John Carpenter's The Thing are easily the best horror remakes I've seen, the original films are good in their own right, but the remakes improve on them in just about every way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:36 am 

One thing The Thing failed to do imo, which The Thing From Another World did get right, was create some kind of bond with the crew as a whole. In Carpenter's version, much as I adore it, there are too many characters and so the killing off of the crewmembers felt random to me.

And Avery, you must watch at least those three I mentioned from Fisher. They are excellent. Have you seen others? Or any other Hammer Horrors I should get to soon? I have his Phantom of the Opera on DVD, maybe I should give that a whril too. But first I gotta check out the Laemle silent.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:01 am 

Sodacake wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:

That was a pile of shit.

Pile of shit.
Oh please. They improved the storyline so much, giving more insight into Fred's character, and the whole relationship with his daughter. I personally loved how they did this.
Plus, the acting was great and the scare tactics were surprisingly well done.

I still prefer the original though, as it has been, and always will be, my favorite horror film.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:20 am 

Location: the south is a shithole from which no human decency can escape
PBR Streetgang wrote:
One thing The Thing failed to do imo, which The Thing From Another World did get right, was create some kind of bond with the crew as a whole. In Carpenter's version, much as I adore it, there are too many characters and so the killing off of the crewmembers felt random to me.

And Avery, you must watch at least those three I mentioned from Fisher. They are excellent. Have you seen others? Or any other Hammer Horrors I should get to soon? I have his Phantom of the Opera on DVD, maybe I should give that a whril too. But first I gotta check out the Laemle silent.

We learn very little about any of the characters in Carpenter's version, but I think that worked in the film's favor because it means the audience itself doesn't know who to trust.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:56 pm 

PBR Streetgang wrote:
Forgotten Son wrote:

Aside from The Fly and The Thing, which I've seen and loved, all those remakes look absolutely dreadful...

Well they're not. The Dead and Assault remakes modernise the originals quite effectively, while Let Me In is a offers a different take from Let the Right One in and is damn near as effective with it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:23 pm 

I've been meaning to check out the infamous film that gave Black Sabbath their name.

Is it any good?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:34 am 

Bava's film? Yes it is fantastic. But if I were you, I'd make sure you watch the Italian language version (I tre volti della paura), because the English language version (Black Sabbath) has too many cuts in it and because of this the first story makes no sense at all. The only shame about watching the Italian one is that you can't hear Karloff's wonderful voice... But seriously, go for the Italian version if you can locate it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next