DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Fantasy Movies
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:14 pm 

boo boo wrote:
All superhero movies are fantasies, but they're not all fantasy. TDK is a semi-quasi realistic interpretation of a really unrealistic story. But I definitely wouldn't file it under the fantasy genre, because it's not anymore fantastical then your typical action movie.

Superman films count as fantasy because they have supernatural elements. But The Dark Knight? Nah.

So would you support a separate Superhero movies list? I think it would be an awesome idea.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:20 am 

Yeah that would be great. Or you could do a Comic Book movies list but then you'd have to include stuff like Ghost World, American Splendor, Road to Perdition and History of Violence and that would create a pretty weird contrast. So a superhero movie list sounds great.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:42 am 

Maybe both? I like the idea of listing and measuring how accurately/successfully a comic book was executed as a film.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:03 pm 

boo boo wrote:
Yeah that would be great. Or you could do a Comic Book movies list but then you'd have to include stuff like Ghost World, American Splendor, Road to Perdition and History of Violence and that would create a pretty weird contrast. So a superhero movie list sounds great.

For superhero movies:

1. Superman II (1980, Richard Lester) (Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman, Terrence Stamp)
2. The Dark Knight (2008, Christopher Nolan) (Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart)
3. Spiderman 2 (2004, Sam Raimi) (Tobey Maguire, Alfred Molina)
4. Superman (1978, Richard Donner) (Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman)
5. Batman Begins (2005, Christopher Nolan) (Christian Bale, Cillian Murphy, Tom Wilkinson)
6. X2 (2003, Bryan Singer) (Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, Halle Berry)

Iron Man, Spiderman, The Crow, The Mask of Zorro, Hellboy, Blade, Batman Returns, Batman (1989), Thor, and Daredevil will also be somewhere on this list.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:45 am 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
boo boo wrote:

For superhero movies:

1. Superman II (1980, Richard Lester) (Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman, Terrence Stamp)
2. The Dark Knight (2008, Christopher Nolan) (Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart)
5. Batman Begins (2005, Christopher Nolan) (Christian Bale, Cillian Murphy, Tom Wilkinson)
6. X2 (2003, Bryan Singer) (Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, Ian McKellen, Halle Berry)

Iron Man, Spiderman, The Crow, The Mask of Zorro, Hellboy, Blade, Batman Returns, Batman (1989), Thor, and Daredevil will also be somewhere on this list.

Wha? I was of the mindset that most people agreed on Spider-Man > Spider-Man 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:39 am 

Wuh? I thought everyone agreed that Spider-Man 2 was the best one?

I love the Spider-Man movies because they're not going for the dark and gritty route like TDK and X-Men. They don't pretend that their source material is NOT a comic book that started in the 1960s. They have no shame in being comic book movies.

Well not the first two anyway. I haven't seen the 3rd one, the one people hate, I don't think it was completely Raimi's fault though because the producers forced Venom on him even though he had no interest in that character.

But the first two movies are a silly fun tribute to the straight up silly fun silver age of comic books. That's why Sam Raimi was the perfect guy to direct them.

And yeah, it goes without saying that I think this dark and gritty reboot that's coming up is gonna be a DISASTER. I've seen the trailer. It looks AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWFUL.

Oh I'm sure comic book shitheads who think Watchmen was a flawless masterpiece will eat it up. But fuck them, it's gonna suck, it's gonna be one of the worst films of 2012. Trust me.

Most longtime fans of the Spider Man comics agree that the series went downhill once it started hopping on the dark and gritty bandwagon of the 90s. I just don't see how this reimagining can possibly work. I'm sure Sodacake will wank all over it though.

WE'RE TALKING ABOUT A MAN WHO CAN STICK TO WALLS BECAUSE HE WAS BITTEN BY A RADIOACTIVE SPIDER. DON'T TAKE THAT CONCEPT TOO FUCKING SERIOUSLY!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:14 pm 

boo boo wrote:

Oh I'm sure comic book shitheads who think Watchmen was a flawless masterpiece will eat it up.

Most comic geeks weren't really that fond of the Watchmen movie, and I doubt anyone considers it a masterpiece. The general consensus among fans of the original comic seems to be "a decent adaptation", though it does have a surprisingly high rating on RYM (a website that no one should take seriously, anyway).

I agree that the Spider-Man reboot being "darker and grittier" is not really a good idea. There are certain characters with whom "dark" works well, like Batman or Punisher, but with characters like Spider-Man, you need a lighter tone. It can still have a serious story and shouldn't be completely goofy (Superman juggling planets goofy), but going grim and realistic doesn't work. The tone is something I think the recent Captain America movie did decently.

Edit: Here's a great article by writer Greg Rucka, who mainly writes on darker comics.

beaverteeth92 wrote:
boo boo wrote:

For superhero movies:

Is Superman II considered greater than the first one? I thought it was mainly the "Richard Donner cut" that people liked.

Last edited by Woodgod on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:17 pm 

I really hope they don't fuck up the Deadpool movie. But, they probably will.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:39 pm 

Deadpool is really easy to fuck up. He hasn't even had a decent comic book in years.

Why isn't there a science fiction list? The genre has been represented a lot better in film than fantasy has.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:45 am 

Uh. There IS a science fiction list. And yours truly worked on it. :irish:

It just hasn't been posted on the new forum yet. I guess I should change that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Here is what I came up with for "Top 10 Fantasy Movies 2011"

Best Fantasy Movies of 2011
  1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - (Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint)
  2. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - (Johnny Depp, Penélope Cruz, Ian McShane)
  3. Midnight in Paris - (Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Kathy Bates)
  4. Thor - (Chris Hemsworth, Anthony Hopkins, Natalie Portman)
  5. Immortals - (Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, John Hurt)
  6. Sucker Punch - (Emily Browning, Vanessa Hudgens, Abbie Cornish)
  7. Green Lantern - (Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Peter Sarsgaard)
  8. Season of the Witch - (Nicolas Cage, Ron Perlman, Claire Foy)
  9. Conan the Barbarian - (Jason Momoa, Ron Perlman, Rose McGowan)
10. Beastly - (Alex Pettyfer, Vanessa Hudgens, Mary-Kate Olsen)

----------------------------------------

Criteria: - This list includes films that contain 'unreal' earthly (or heavenly) locations, 'supernatural' human powers (Superheros), and 'supernatural' entities (angels, wizards, ghosts, dragons, witches...)

This list does NOT include Horror-Fantasy, or Science Fiction-Fantasy. These films were NOT chosen for how highly rated they are overall, but how they rate in the subject of "Fantasy Movie".

----------------------------------------

I'm unsure about: (following DDDs criteria)
Sucker Punch
Beastly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:20 am 

Midnight in Paris could jump over Caribbean, but maybe I'm underestimating its popularity lead.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:05 am 

How about adding the original as well as Peter Jackson's King Kong, Army of Darkness (feels more like a fantasy than a horror picture to me. It's got a similar style to Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, both produced by Raimi), Groundhog Day, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Kung Fu Hustle, the Secret Garden, Monty Python & the Holy Grail, the Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, Beasts of the Southern Wild and Hercules in the Haunted World? And if you're willing to forgive it for its cheese, how about Conquest from 1983? I feel Pan's Labyrinth should be bumped up to the top 10.

Also, is there any reason we're not including animated movies? And should we count Star Wars as fantasy?