It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: State your unpopular opinions as facts (TV edition)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:17 pm 

30 Rock and Parks & Rec are boring.

Arrested Development is not that great.

Louie has better direction than Breaking Bad.

Post subject: Re: State your unpopular opinions as facts (TV edition)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:03 am 

Dreww wrote:
30 Rock are boring

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:58 am 

the first two seasons of Arrested Development make me laugh more than pretty much anything on the planet. so i'll disagree with that one.

but i'll throw one out there: The Wire absolutely fails at realism and at different times veers off into updated cowboy mythos (Omar and the various Omar parallel characters), idealistic fantasy (Hamsterdam) and primetime crime melodrama (the bad guy CIA agent with his automatic updates on his protected Guy Ritchie/Tarantino-style European sociopath grandpa crime lord and also, of course, the fake serial killer). toss in some Lost-style freaky connections as if Baltimore only has about 200 people in the whole city. seriously, Prez teaches Wee-Bay's kid fucking 8th grade math. the fuck?

oh, but i'll add, all that^ ends up making the show about 6x better than what i had anticipated. one of the best shows i've ever seen (i would only rank one show above it definitively and that's Deadwood). i just throw up a little bit when i read something about how realistic it is. not at all upset about it cause i could care fuckall about realism tbh.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:30 am 

community is probably the most overrated show ever.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:22 am 

Sodacake wrote:
community is probably the most overrated show ever.

The Big Bang Theory?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:45 am 

do people actually think it's good or is it one of those things that's incredibly popular and no one can really explain why like the transformers movies?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:08 pm 

I know quite a few people who think it's good but I would say it more popular than acclaimed. If it's overrated so is Bieber or One Direction.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:25 pm 

Sodacake wrote:
do people actually think it's good or is it one of those things that's incredibly popular and no one can really explain why like the transformers movies?

It's been nominated for/won many more Emmys than Community has, so I suspect it's more overrated.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:26 pm 

Tiny Tim wrote:
I know quite a few people who think it's good but I would say it more popular than acclaimed. If it's overrated so is Bieber or One Direction.

How many Grammys have Bieber/One Direction been nominated for/won?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:56 am 

Arrested Development is shite.

I agree about The Wire, sometimes its realism is overhyped. That said, the Omar mythos, all he actually does is rob stashes and also happens to be charismatic and then SPOILER gets bumped off in an almost artificially anti-climactic fashion SPOILER. It's the Barksdales and Marlo and the streets (and then the show's fans) who create the "cowboy mythos", I think Omar's last scene is the show's attempt to state that in the end he was nothing special. I thought the most unrealistic character was Brother Mouzone.
The fake serial killer I thought was awesome and handled in a believable way, in the most believable way possible anyway, and I think that's important, and I have trouble imagining someone enjoy The Wire without giving any credit to show's realism or attempts at realism. The characters, story are obviously great but the contemporary urban setting and realistic depiction of different institutions is what are put it above the rest, in my book anyway. Deadwood is awesome though.
I also saw Hamsterdam as a fantasy, but I don't think the show was trying to make it believable (because nothing like that has ever happened), I saw it more as a "what if?" scenario, with believable consequences.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:21 pm 

Breaking Bad is the most unbelievably contrived show I've ever seen. And its portrayal of the criminal underworld is laughably unrealistic These issues wouldn't be so bad to me if the show didn't try to play things so straight and act like it's something profound and artistic. I admit, I was really into the first two seasons, but enough is enough, I'll never make it past the third season. Oh yeah, and Jessie is an awful, annoying character who should've been killed off in the first season like they originally planned.

The Simpsons was good well into its 15th season and its best seasons were 11 & 12.

Aside from a few gems, South Park has been in decline since the 8th season.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:22 pm 

Why does a tv show's portrayal of the criminal underworld have to be realistic at all? That's a bullshit criticism.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:46 am 

that_guy wrote:
Breaking Bad is the most unbelievably contrived show I've ever seen. And its portrayal of the criminal underworld is laughably unrealistic

True. But no more so than The Godfather, and that's one of the greatest cinematic achievements ever.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:43 am 

I will say, though, that when I started watching it I was looking forward to seeing Walt turn into a criminal mastermind, but all he really does is keep inheriting already established criminal enterprises. I found that disappointing.