DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest Cartoons
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:07 am 

How about The Maxx for a low spot? It's become something of a cult classic nowadays, and is generally well liked (8.9 on IMDB, only 2 bad reviews on Amazon etc).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:44 am 

Of course this admission will clue my age, but Mighty Mouse was my favorite when I was a kid.
I used to pretend I was Mighty Mouse, and crash thru couch cushions stacked in the doorway.
I even wore a cape. :geek:
Also really liked Johnny Quest when I was a few years older.

Road Runner was my favorite short cartoon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:52 pm 

Avery_Island wrote:
Great update, glad this is getting updated. :thumb: First thoughts are that Spongebob Squarepants, Family Guy, Animaniacs and Doug look too high. I'm not sure Family Guy should be ahead of King of the Hill.

I also think we should bring up the Simpsons vs Disney debate as I personally think The Simpsons should be ahead of Disney, but don't really have much to base it on other than just instinct, would be interested to hear the reasoning behind it.

Thanks, Avery.

Yes, it seems the consensus is to lower Family Guy, so I think it'll probably drop to the Top 20. I'd say SpongeBob, Animaniacs, and Doug could maybe afford to drop a spot or two. We'll see.

'The Simpsons vs. Golden Age Disney' would make a good debate, as I could see either one at #2, frankly. I have Disney there now, though, because it seems to beat Simpsons by a wide margin in cultural significance and influence -- probably popularity, too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:54 pm 

bloodredchaos wrote:
How about The Maxx for a low spot? It's become something of a cult classic nowadays, and is generally well liked (8.9 on IMDB, only 2 bad reviews on Amazon etc).

Good suggestion. It's probably not Top 100 material, but it needs to be somewhere in the Top 200, for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:39 pm 

bloodredchaos wrote:
How about The Maxx for a low spot?

That was a great comic book. Never saw the cartoon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:40 pm 

The top five is perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:34 am 

Phineas and Ferb?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:07 am 

Thanks. It'll be added.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:30 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
Why?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:19 pm 

It's popular enough to be in the Top 200.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:24 pm 
So happy to see South Park in the top 5 where it belongs. It seems to me that it was the first animated show to have all that cussing in it and just over the top risky subjects and you know just fearless. They make an episode about anything. As Trey and Matt said one time....either everything is ok to make fun of or nothing is. The show has influenced my sense of humor. American Dad should be pretty high on the list some day. It's funnier and smarter than Family Guy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:00 pm 

Shouldn't you just have all the Looney Tunes listed together? And it should be number one without question.

I'm also not sure that theatrical shorts and tv cartoons should share the same list, it's rather jarring.

Worst of all, this list just seems totally random to me.

Wile. E Coyote and Roadrunner behind Transformers and Inspector Gadget?

Betty Boop, some of the most imaginative and creative cartoons of the early 1930s, behind He-Man and the Masters of the Universe?

Felix the Cat, THE original cartoon star, behind Alvin the Chipmunks and Spiderman?

Gerald McBoing-Boing, a pioneer in limited animation, behind CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH?

Astro Boy, the first anime to gain international success and the originator of many anime conventions, behind Jimmy Neutron?

And where in the HELL are the MGM Tex Avery shorts?

I can't really find anything good to say about this list, it needs a SERIOUS overhaul.

Last edited by boo boo on Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:06 pm 
Since Family Guy is in the top 20...American Dad needs to be in the top 50 or at least top 70 somewhere. It's been around since 2005 and is clearly a more "solid" comedy show than Family Guy which is not as funny as it used to be.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:38 pm 

I don't think this list should be based around personal preference regarding what's funny.

This list should place emphasis on cartoons that were groundbreaking, creative, original and influencial, and quality of animation should have somewhat of a role as well.

And there's a ridiculous amount of cartoons, both popular and obscure, that beat Family Guy and American Dad at all of these things. You owe it to yourself to expand your horizons a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:54 pm 
boo boo wrote:
I don't think this list should be based around personal preference regarding what's funny.

This list should place emphasis on cartoons that were groundbreaking, creative, original and influencial, and quality of animation should have somewhat of a role as well.

And there's a ridiculous amount of cartoons, both popular and obscure, that beat Family Guy and American Dad at all of these things. You owe it to yourself to expand your horizons a bit.

I'm not a big cartoon guy, I just watch about 6 different animated shows and that's all I need. I was saying that since Family Guy is ranked so high then American Dad should be up there. What did Family Guy influence and how was it groundbreaking? It's also not very original. It's just really popular.

Oh well, I'll leave this Family Guy and American Dad convo alone...South Park is in the top 10...that's all I care about. :smile:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next