DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 100 Greatest B-Movies
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:42 am 

Heh... I don't have the time for that at the moment -- let alone the time to revise my other lists. I'm sure it would be a fun project, though. Why don't you start it, beaver?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:05 pm 

I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to B-movies along the lines of what you mentioned. Can a mod please change the title of this topic though to reflect "Best Worst Movies?"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:52 am 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
Same criteria as other lists. This list contains movies that are generally considered to be so horrible, they develop a cult following or become praised for their poor quality.

In no particular order, here are some movies I think should be included:

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Troll 2
Every single Ed Wood movie ever made
The Incredible Melting Man
Teenagers from Outer Space
Manos: The Hands of Fate
The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?

Those aren't B movies. Those are like... D movies. A great B movie is something like Tremors.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:32 am 

They should be on here, though. They're excluded from the "Worst Movies List" (which is too goddamn subjective to really be a list tbh) because of the nature of their awfulness: so bad that in some sort of invisible cycle they become great in their own way; not an easy feat. But they definitely have that cult nature to them. People drive several states away to see piss on Troll 2's hospitality. Many view Santa Claus Conquers The Martians as the highest caliber acting Pia Zadora had in her career. And can anyone really look on paper plates on strings the same way after watching Plan 9? I think not. These movies are more important for their cultural impact than their (shitty) quality. And I think that's more reflective on a list than The Worst List, which is basically someone's opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:10 am 

The worst movies list wasn't an expression of my own opinion but an attempt to make a cohesive list out of films generally considered to be the worst of all time. I've said it before, if it was MY opinion Even Cowgirls Get the Blues would have been number one. At least Battlefield Earth had some camp appeal.

If I included B movies they would have dominated the list, and there's just too goddamn many of them to choose from. :lol:

Last edited by boo boo on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:14 am 

beaverteeth92 wrote:
Same criteria as other lists. This list contains movies that are generally considered to be so horrible, they develop a cult following or become praised for their poor quality.

In no particular order, here are some movies I think should be included:

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Troll 2
Every single Ed Wood movie ever made
The Incredible Melting Man
Teenagers from Outer Space
Manos: The Hands of Fate
The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?

Whoa there fella. B movies don't have to be abortions.

You have a very poor understanding of what a B movie is.

B movies CAN be competently made and actually be good. Just look at John Carpenter's work.

A bad B movie isn't a "great" B movie, it's just a bad B movie.

All "B movie" means is low budget genre or exploitation film. It doesn't mean HORRIBLE low budget genre or exploitation films, even though there are a lot of those and good ones are definitely in the minority.

But seriously. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Terminator, Mad Max, Videodrome, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Blood Simple, Evil Dead. Those are B movies, and they're also genuinely good genre films.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:41 am 

boo boo wrote:
All "B movie" means is low budget genre or exploitation film. It doesn't mean HORRIBLE low budget genre or exploitation films, even though there are a lot of those and good ones are definitely in the minority.

But seriously. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Terminator, Mad Max, Videodrome, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Blood Simple, Evil Dead. Those are B movies, and they're also genuinely good genre films.

Exactly

"B" in "B-movie" means budget, its a genre picture for a major studio with a small budget. Has nothing to do with quality. Aside from the list Boo Boo mentions, there's many other genre/exploitation film classics that were commissioned a B-movies like Stagecoach, White Zombie, several Abbott and Costello films, Easy Rider and Vanishing Point.