DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obsessive-Compulsive List Makers Thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:23 am 

for whatever random small lists you want to make.

Post subject: Re: Obsessive-Compulsive List Makers Thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:57 am 

was thinking of who would go down as the best actor of the 00s as i was making my 00s performances list. i narrowed it down to the English/American/Australian guys and came up with this, based on their body of work in both quality and quantity:

1. Philip Seymour Hoffman (Capote, The Savages, Doubt, Charlie Wilson's War, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Synecdoche NY, Almost Famous, Punch-Drunk Love, 25th Hour, State and Main, Owning Mahowny)
2. Daniel Day Lewis (There Will Be Blood, Gangs of New York, Nine, The Ballad of Jack and Rose)
3. Leonardo DiCaprio (The Aviator, The Departed, Blood Diamond, Revolutionary Road, Catch Me If You Can, Body of Lies, Gangs of New York)
4. Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Sweeney Todd, Finding Neverland, Chocolat, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Public Enemies, The Libertine, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Blow)
5. Russell Crowe (A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator, Cinderella Man, 3:10 to Yuma, Master and Commander, American Gangster, Body of Lies, State of Play)
6. Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight, Brokeback Mountain, Candy, Monster's Ball, A Knight's Tale, Ned Kelly, I'm Not There)
7. Sean Penn (Milk, Mystic River, I am Sam, 21 Grams, The Assassination of Richard Nixon)
8. Benecio del Toro (Traffic, Che, 21 Grams, Things We Lost in the Fire)
9. George Clooney (Up in the Air, Michael Clayton, Syriana, O Brother Where Art Thou?, Solaris, Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's Twelve, Ocean's Thirteen, Good Night and Good Luck)
10. Will Smith (Ali, The Pursuit of Happyness, I am Legend, I Robot, Hancock)
11. Ryan Gosling (Half Nelson, Lars and the Real Girl, The Believer, The Notebook, Fracture)
12. Brad Pitt (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Assassination of Jesse James, Snatch, Inglourious Basterds, Burn After Reading, Babel)
13. Christian Bale (The Machinist, American Psycho, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Rescue Dawn, The Prestige, 3:10 to Yuma, Terminator Salvation)
14. Bill Murray (Lost in Translation, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Broken Flowers, The Royal Tenenbaums, Get Low)
15. Tom Hanks (Cast Away, Charlie Wilson's War, Road to Perdition, The Terminal, Catch Me If You Can, The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons)
16. Don Cheadle (Hotel Rwanda, Crash, Traffic, Talk to Me, Traitor)
17. Matt Damon (The Bourne Identity, The Bourne Ultimatum, The Bourn Supremacy, The Informant!, Invictus, The Departed, Syriana)
18. Denzel Washington (Training Day, American Gangster, The Great Debaters, John Q)
19. Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man, Tropic Thunder, Sherlock Holmes, The Soloist, Zodiac, The Singing Detective, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang,
20. Viggo Mortensen (Eastern Promises, Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, The Road, A History of Violence, Alatriste)

honorable mentions: Joseph Gordon Levitt, Joaquin Phoenix, Ian McKellen, Ben Kingsley, Tom Wilkinson, Nicholas Cage, Chris Cooper, Mark Wahlberg, Jim Carrey, Jack Nicholson, Steve Carrell, Will Ferrell, Adrien Brody, Jake Gyllenhaal, Paul Giamatti, Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Morgan Freeman, Clive Owen, Jamie Foxx, Ed Harris, John C. Reilly, Jeff Bridges, Billy Bob Thornton, Kevin Spacey, Michael Caine, Forest Whitaker, James McAvoy, Mickey Rourke, Geoffrey Rush

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:49 pm 
Master of the Universe 2008

For some reason its not letting me post my list of the 25 most important directors of the past 25 years. sad face

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:51 pm 

are there any accents on any of those names? New DDD really hates accents

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:57 pm 

1.Abbas Kirostami
2.Wong Kar Wai
3.Hou Hsaio Hsien
4.Zhang Yimou
5.Hayao Miyazaki
6.Tsiang Ming-Liang
7.Jia Zhangke
8.Jafar Panahi
9.Apichatpong Weerasethakul
10.John Woo
11.Edward Yang
12.Takeshi Kitano
13.Mamoru Oshii
14.Stephen Chow
15.Shohei Imamura
16.Shinichiro Watanabe
17.Hirokazu Koreeda
18.Satoshi Kon
19.Park Chan Wook
20.Bong Joon-ho
21.Tian Zhuangzhuang
22.Katzuhiro Tomomo
23.Chen Kaige
24.Yoji Yamada
25.Kiyoshi Kurosawa

Thanks, Wanta. That shits retarded

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:29 am 

most re-watchable movies of the 00s, based only on how many times i can watch them in one weekend sitting

1. Zombieland
2-4. The Lord of the Rings trilogy
5. Bad Santa
6. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
7. Superbad
8. The Hangover
9. Batman Begins
10. Star Trek
11-13. Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy
14-16. The Bourne trilogy
17. The Departed
18. Gladiator
19. Inglourious Basterds
20. Shaun of the Dead
21. Hellboy
22. Transformers
23-24. X-Men 1 & 2
25-30. Harry Potter 1-6

Last edited by the greatest on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:59 am 

dude, pineapple express

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:00 am 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
You must really like Star Trek.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:36 pm 

Sherick wrote:
You must really like Star Trek.

i really do (the film that is. i've never watched any of the tv show or previous movies). mainly because of the casting. i think its probably the best casting in recent memory. mainly because it looks really bad on paper. like i saw the cast and went "wtf? they couldn't get a better cast than that?" and in the movie everyone is perfect. and they have good chemistry. and nobody in the cast was the "easy choice" except maybe Greenwood.

and i use it as an example of how performances in blockbusters get undervalued (along with Will Smith in I am Legend) because i think both Quinto and Pine's performances, for different reasons, are excellent in the film. and Quinto especially could have gotten his name thrown in the hat for various supporting actor noms if it wasn't for the fact that it's a sci-fi action movie (not saying he should have gotten a nom, just saying his name should have popped up more in pre-nomination articles as a dark horse pick).

did you not like it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:53 pm 

i think he's referring to the fact that you mentioned it twice on your list, herr pavan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:49 am 

:ninja:

the second one shouldn't be there. what was supposed to be there, i dont know. oops.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:31 pm 

Location: Matthew McConaughey has won the Oscar for Best Actor in-- "You think you know me..." Shit.
I did like Star Trek quite a bit, which surprised me cause I'm not a Trek fan in the least bit and was taken to the movie, but was very very pleased.
And I do think it was quite underrated for being a "genre film." Not saying it should have been winning awards, but no doubt that "sci-fi action," "summer blockbuster" and "Star Trek" were malefactors in that area.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:14 am 

i'm actually surprised you didn't list Synecdoche, NY as that argues more rewatches cuz of content. But maybe you were going for like most likable easy going movie where the rewatches are more like a i know every line adam sandler kinda movie rather than something you don't get the first time around, or didn't fully get. Most of those are pretty one and done for me, not that i dislike them (actually enjoyed these the first time around), but they're not very rewatchable in the kind of way i percieve rewatchable movies.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:27 am 

yeah, the intention of that was for the "throw in this movie and have it in the background while I do shit on the computer cause it never gets old to me" type of rewatchability rather than the "discover new layers to the narrative and complexities that escaped me the first time" type of rewatchability. which would be a completely different list with probably, almost by definition, no common films.

edit: which is why they are all action or comedy. and the reason for the trilogies and stuff, cause for some reason i have fun watching sequels to movies i like even when the sequels aren't nearly as good (Pirates 2 & 3, X-Men 3, etc). i have that problem where i get wrapped up in a world and can't separate myself from it to analyze it. like, i can watch even the worst LOST episodes and still be entertained.