DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bassists' Den
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:45 pm 

The low end of the spectrum, this thread concerns bass. Players, styles, chops, instruments, anything goes.

Post subject: Re: Bassists' Den
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:46 pm 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
How difficult would the transition be from playing rhythm guitar to learning to play the bass?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:09 pm 

Shouldn't be too difficult. It depends upon the complexity of the rhythms you're wanting to play, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:51 pm 

Certainly easier than going from bass to guitar, assuming you were a primarily finger-style bass player.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:39 pm 

So I'm pretty positive that I want to get a bass for Christmas. I do have a question about them before I buy one though. Do you guys know if buying a 5 or 6 string bass makes playing songs that were written for a four string bass more difficult to play; do the other strings interfere with one's ability to songs on the top four strings?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:25 pm 

Location: God doesn't love us because we're good, He makes us good because He loves us.
Never played a 5 or 6 string bass, but I don't see how it would make it harder. I may actually prefer it, since I think it's more comfortable to rest my thumb on the E string to play the ADG strings than it is to rest my thumb on the pickup to play the E string itself. If I had an extra string, I could be basically in the same position for EAD and G.

Really the only way to be able to tell would be to test one out though. Hop into a guitar center and see how it feels.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:16 pm 

If you've been playing bass then it'll take some getting used to. If not then you'd probably just become used to the extra strings as you learn. My friend always said the fifth string got in the way but he was only messing with one at a store. And he plays with the usual finger-style. A pick might be different, but I don't care for picks and basses unless it's for tone purposes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:01 am 

Cool. I don't plan on using a pick. I'll definitely try a few songs written for a 4 string on a 5 or 6 string at my local guitar shop before I buy one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:02 am 

I started out with a four-string. After it was stolen I got me a five-string with a C string added above the G string. At first it was a little weird but you'll get used to it pretty quickly. I might add that you usually you won't need more than four strings. A higher string is only somewhat useful if you solo a lot, a lower string I imagine would be cool for some genres or if for whatever reason your band has a lot of songs in the key of D. Also it obviously makes you look more potent if your bass has more strings but other than that a four-string is completely fine.