DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guitarists' Den
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:05 pm 

Oh, yeah, forgot to include that in my post. My thumb is bracing the back of the neck, not my palm, so that's not my problem.

Edit: Actually, I might have been doing that unconsciously because when I focus on keeping my thumb behind and not on top of the neck, it doesn't seem to be a problem. Silly me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:41 am 

You thumb should be moving freely, always being exactly where it needs to be in relation to your fretting hand fingers. If you're shredding three note per string pentatonics, classical position is the way to go, and when you're doing a one and a half step bend, anchor that bugger to aid your fingers. It needs to be unconscious, tho, you wouldn't wanna be thinking about what your thumb is doing when so much of your focus is on what your fingers are doing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:09 pm 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
If you're shredding three note per string pentatonics, classical position is the way to go,
:dance:

somehow i doubt lord tudwell is shredding, though...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:00 am 

I think classical position is the most optimal position for performance in any style. I find you have a lot more reach over the fretboard.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:21 pm 

From a purely technical and practical standpoint, yeah. I prefer advising people to use whatever position is comfortable for them. It creates a more unique guitarist in my view, as it creates new and interesting solutions to problems encountered when playing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:05 pm 

Not gonna argue with you there, but some positions are beneficial simply because they are healthier for the hands and fingers in the long run. I've heard stories about guitarists getting tendonitis because they didn't sit properly when they practiced, forcing their hands into unnatural positions. It's rare, sure, but I'd definitely recommend my favored playing positions to guitarists who are just starting out, then allow them to figure out what works best for them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:36 pm 

no, it's not rare... i'd say at least 70-80% of classical guitarists are wrecks and have tendinitis, arthritis, jammed nerves, etc.
the technique is unbelievably straining and demanding on the hands. (and not just among classical guitarists, but all fingerstyle players, in general)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:10 am 

whenever people talk of 'the classical technique' just remember parkening has the most ridiculously uncomfortable looking technique of all time and the greatest tone of all time. a price must be paid to achieve perfection. i get a sore hand just imitating him for 30 seconds :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:24 am 

yeah... don't even get me started...

btw, it says something the ferocity of leo kottke's picking approach that he had to switch to a more classical technique after he messed up his hands... :lol:
(though he switched to lighted gauge/tension strings, too)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:56 pm 

So I'm looking to start recording music. Right now I have FL Studio 10 Producer Edition. Are a microphone and an analog to digital converter the only additional things that I need to start making somewhat quality recordings (besides my amp, guitar, PC, etc)? I ask because I'm not entirely sure from the tutorials that I've read online. Other tutorials often include a mixer, but I'm not really sure that this is necessary since there is already a mixer in FL Studio. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:53 pm 

Any advice on playing and singing at the same time? I feel like an idiot because I've been playing for almost 7 years now and I haven't ever really learned how. I'm trying now and taking it slow but it's frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:54 pm 

And man saying 7 years is weird because I was registered at this forum before I started playing. Seems like yesterday!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:30 pm 

I've been playing for 6 and I still can't play and sing, but that's because I'm terrible at singing and don't have any interest in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:46 am 

I find you gotta start with relatively easy strummy songs - where the chord changes happen between lines and the strummy pattern isn't too complicated. There are plenty of songs I couldn't manage though, e.g. Don't Think Twice by Dylan (the guitar is pretty damn tough here), even something like Torn by Natalie Imbruglia.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:01 am 

Also, Your Touch by The Black Keys and Little Sister by Queens of the Stone Age are good places to start, imo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next