DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guitarists' Den
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:45 pm 

That's a sexy collection of guitars you got there, Yngtchie!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:24 pm 

Thanks! Today I changed back to the old pickups on my Ruokangas. I just couldn't get used to the sound of those in the pic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:58 pm 

did you wound the classical, or did it come wounded?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:20 am 

That's my dad's old Yamaha, he's had it since the '70s and it's been through a lot. I got it as a gift some 10 years ago when I started playing guitar, and after cleaning it properly and putting on a fresh set of strings, it turned out to be a fine instrument. I just need to give it a new bridge, the one that's on it is too high for my liking.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:52 pm 

any of you experts here;

can anyone help me with what chords are being used in this song? it's seems like a fairly simple chord structure but i'm an amateur and my ears aren't good enough yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:36 am 

Its mostly d minor, a major, a#major, f major then a major

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:14 pm 

thanks mate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:26 am 

What's everybody working on? After a period of acoustic work, I'm back behind the Ruokangas, practicing Vinnie Moore's "Daydream" solo. Sound clips to follow.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:02 am 

Sweep picking. What a bitch.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:15 pm 

is everybody at that age obsessed with sweep picking for what ? I remember a couple of my friends going crazy to play it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:17 pm 

Nah, its just a technique my teacher decided to show me. I'm not really that determined to get it right because it's not that important a skill at all. I still want to get it, just for the sake of being a well rounded player, but I'm not at all obsessed with it. What I am obsessed with is playing classical guitar pieces.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:52 pm 

a far better obsession to have in my opinion :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:53 pm 

Sweep picking is handy for doing certain licks, like if you ever wanna do a Malmsteen solo, which you should. What's most important is that you get the main picking and fingering motion down where you can execute the arpeggios without thinking about the mechanics. Personally, I wouldn't worry about learning the huge Jason Becker-style sweeps that you find in songs like "Altitudes" or "Go Off!", as those will mainly come in handy only if you're doing songs where those big arpeggios are important parts of the songs. Otherwise, you'll most likely sound like you're showing off unnecessarily if you just throw in those in the middle of a solo, simply because it's so hard to make them sound natural. If there's one thing I don't care for, it's when people shred and sound like they're trying to impress you. That's when shred goes from being cool to being lame, and it's a very fine line.

Oh, and sweep picking works great for jazzy arpeggios, especially those small three-string Maj7 and min7 ones. You can of course alternate pick them, hybrid pick or do them mainly using hammer-ons and pull-offs, but all of those will make the licks sound and feel different, both tonally and rhythmically. What I find most important is that players use the techniques that sound the best, i.e. most natural.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:09 pm 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
What's everybody working on? After a period of acoustic work, I'm back behind the Ruokangas, practicing Vinnie Moore's "Daydream" solo. Sound clips to follow.

I only own an acoustic, so I've started learning some folksy fingerpicking stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:10 pm 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
Oh, and sweep picking works great for jazzy arpeggios, especially those small three-string Maj7 and min7 ones.

This is what I'm being made to do, more or less. Really the lesson had to do with soloing briefly in between chords and the example he gave me had sweep picking so that's what I ended up doing this week. Thanks a lot for the advice, that's always very welcome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next