DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Music Theory Thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:59 am 

Much like in the old forum, I feel this'un could benefit from a thread where people can ask questions about various kinds of music theory, and also hopefully get those questions answered. Unlike in the old forum, we don't have an all-knowing theory buff available, so I'll leave these questions for anyone who feel they're up for the challenge.

Post subject: Re: The Music Theory Thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:04 pm 

I was about to be pissed if the only thread you had made was the Guitarists Den :lol:

Also, who was the aforementioned all-knowing theory buff?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:57 pm 

According to the creator of the thread, it was this 16 year old kid, Bass- something.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:46 pm 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
According to the creator of the thread, it was this 16 year old kid, Bass- something.

Ohhhh that prick lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:16 am 

Well, this part of the forum seems pretty dead, but I went through this fairly old music theory article on Meshuggah and thought it might be a good read for someone interested in the sorts. Among the things it explains is why Meshuggah's music doesn't actually employ polyrythms, which by many (including myself) seemed to be the modus operandi. My limited knowledge of music theory means I can't really grasp the full meaning of all the theories involved and whatnot, but I enjoy fooling myself into thinking so nonetheless. Maybe someone here has even more use for it.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6375990/Recas ... -Meshuggah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:57 pm 

polyrhythm is just when two or more rhythms are active against one another

commonly 3/4 is matched against common time 4/4 so the downbeats align every 13th note. the meter could reflect either tempo or be marked in 1 or something (so if it were 3/4 it'd be every 2nd measure but if it were 4/4 it'd be every 1.5 measures that they matched up).

O - downbeat
X - upbeat

O X X O X X O X X O X X O X X
O X O X O X O X O X O X O X O X

it gets tricky subbing in different beats/rhythms but the concept applies to any match up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:33 pm 

Much like in the old forum, I feel this'un could benefit from a thread where people can ask questions about various kinds of music theory, and also hopefully get those questions answered. Unlike in the old forum, we don't have an all-knowing theory buff available, so I'll leave these questions for anyone who feel they're up for the challenge.

I don't think this thread needs to go dead.

I'm a listening, performing, and teaching musician (B.A., M.A. in Music Education plus two California teaching credentials, UCLA), with some background in music theory.

I don't know at first if I can provide the kind of question-and-answer situation the members of this thread may want -- but I'm willing to give it a try, if you are.
:tiphat:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:32 am 

Ah, sorry for my late reply. I like this idea, even though this section isn't the most frequented in the forum. I've benefited from online advice for years now, and I feel that it's probably the best way of learning for those who don't have a thriving music scene nearby, or music teachers they can consult in their town or area. Online lessons/advice, combined with stuff like books and videos by professional instructors and musicians, can be a very helpful educational tool for beginners as well as intermediate musicians.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:19 am 

Any recommendations for a beginner? I can read notes (though I'm practising that field too), but I really want to increase my knowledge of music theory.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:59 am 

Ah, sorry for my late reply. I like this idea, even though this section isn't the most frequented in the forum. I've benefited from online advice for years now, and I feel that it's probably the best way of learning for those who don't have a thriving music scene nearby, or music teachers they can consult in their town or area. Online lessons/advice, combined with stuff like books and videos by professional instructors and musicians, can be a very helpful educational tool for beginners as well as intermediate musicians.

Sorry for my late reply

I very much agree with you.

Any ideas as to how we can "drum up some business" for this thread?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:51 pm 

Timitzii wrote:
Any recommendations for a beginner? I can read notes (though I'm practising that field too), but I really want to increase my knowledge of music theory.

Keep practicing note reading, and get as good as you can with it. This comes from a largely self-taught musician (at least until the seventh grade, when I took beginning instruments, and learned how to read treble and later bass clef).

So, until the seventh grade, I played everything by ear.

However, with regard to your question about increasing your knowledge of music theory as a beginner:

Before the seventh grade, I bought a book on piano chords, and learned every kind of chord in the book, in most of the keys (e.g., major, minor, dominant seventh, minor seventh, augmented, etc.). Throughout high school, I played in the band, and continued to learn more music theory on my own.

Later, at UCLA, as a music education major, my theory knowledge and capabilities were well rounded out.

However, as I learned before college, a person can learn specifically what you want to learn about music theory, largely on your own. May I suggest that you search the Internet for a site which is offering a practical, no-nonsense e-course or book about music theory for beginners. Then, if you like it, invest in it, and learn those things about music theory that you specifically want to learn at this time.

That's what I did until UCLA.

Best regards.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:16 pm 

Thanks for the detailed reply!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:04 pm 

I think it would be very useful for you to memorize all the sharps and flats for every key if you haven't already.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:18 pm 

Gray wrote:
I think it would be very useful for you to memorize all the sharps and flats for every key if you haven't already.

I think that's excellent advice, Gray. I remember now that that's what I did in high school. It really helped!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:15 am