DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Pick your favorite half decade...again!!!
Late '50s (55-59) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Late '60s (65-69) 30%  30%  [ 9 ]
Late '70s (75-79) 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
Late '80s (85-89) 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Late '90s (95-99) 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
Late '00s (05-09) 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 30
 Post subject: Re: The Lates
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:36 pm 

damn i accidentally voted for 90's due to The Soft Bulletin and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea immediately coming to mind and not feeling that strongly about the other decades, but now i remember that the late 70's had so much good punk rock. so my vote is really for the 70's

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:01 am 

Machine Head wrote:
damn i accidentally voted for 90's due to The Soft Bulletin and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea immediately coming to mind and not feeling that strongly about the other decades, but now i remember that the late 70's had so much good punk rock. so my vote is really for the 70's

The late 70s are so mostly meh to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:25 pm 

the late 60s had so much going on. monumental work from all of the following: Miles Davis, Coltrane, Dylan, Beatles (basically their entire creative peak), BB King, The Beach Boys, The Who, Jimi Hendrix (entire career), Aretha Franklin, The Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash, James Brown, Buddy Guy, Loretta Lynn, Marvin Gaye, etc. most of whom were at their absolute creative peak. then you had the garage rock scene led by The Sonics, the growth of funk, the birth of metal, the birth of jazz fusion, the folk/blues revival with important albums from Skip James and Son House, a huge period for electric blues (and heavy blues), several awesome Motown singles, etc.

i dont know the exact reasons for it. maybe the social climate motivated the music being made, maybe it was just a perfect storm of different genres competing with each other and merging, maybe it was technological advances. i dont know. but something special was going on. and i dont think its just cultural nostalgia either.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:45 pm 

^YES, I couldn't have put that any better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:51 am 

pave wrote:
the late 60s had so much going on. monumental work from all of the following: Miles Davis, Coltrane, Dylan, Beatles (basically their entire creative peak), BB King, The Beach Boys, The Who, Jimi Hendrix (entire career), Aretha Franklin, The Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash, James Brown, Buddy Guy, Loretta Lynn, Marvin Gaye, etc. most of whom were at their absolute creative peak. then you had the garage rock scene led by The Sonics, the growth of funk, the birth of metal, the birth of jazz fusion, the folk/blues revival with important albums from Skip James and Son House, a huge period for electric blues (and heavy blues), several awesome Motown singles, etc.

i dont know the exact reasons for it. maybe the social climate motivated the music being made, maybe it was just a perfect storm of different genres competing with each other and merging, maybe it was technological advances. i dont know. but something special was going on. and i dont think its just cultural nostalgia either.

Ahem what? The birth of metal comes in 1970.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:01 am 

corrections wrote:
pave wrote:

my bad. i could have sworn Vincebus Eruptum came out in '68. :tongue:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:07 am 

pave wrote:
corrections wrote:
pave wrote:

my bad. i could have sworn Vincebus Eruptum came out in '68. :tongue:

Vincebus Eruptum is about as metal as any electric blues rock from the 60s. There is nothing metal about it and anyone who pretends it is the birth of metal is plain wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:31 am 

70s
90s
60s
00s
80s
50s