It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Do you?
Yes! 70%  70%  [ 21 ]
No! 30%  30%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 30
 Post subject: Re: Do you have a favorite artist/album/song/et al?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:40 am 

yes because saying no is so unoriginal

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:25 am 

Favorite album only. I nominally have a favorite band.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:26 am 

Id say Zeppelin, Chains and wonder have been my favorite artists for a while. But can I choose between the 3, I dont think so. Innervisions is my favorite album, and has been for a while also, but there are times I would prefer other albums of course. It's a tough question to answer really.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:54 am 

I have an answer if anyone asks me my favorite band/artist, but I definitely don't have a favorite song or album.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:41 am 

Astral Weeks stands out to me as my favorite album, but I couldn't pick a favorite artist or song.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:46 pm 

The Who
Quadrophenia
"Baba O'Riley"

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:14 pm 

Yes (and usually fairly definitively)

Artist: Prokofiev
Album: Black Sabbath (although the Mantle and Blackwater Park are contenders)
Song: Hallowed Be Thy Name
Composition: Romeo and Juliet (Prokofiev's ballet).

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:22 pm 

batman wrote:
Song definitely yes, album probably yes, artist no. The larger the thing, the more difficult it gets to answer. I can't find any imperfections in "Untitled (How Does it Feel)" (don't even say it, George! ;) ). Favorite album is probably "Greatest Hits vol 1" by EWF, which is actually pretty damn close to perfect, which is crazy for an album (literally the only thing that could be changed to improve it would be the track order). Favorite artist though, it's too difficult. Should it be EW&F since they did my favorite album? They have a pretty good amount of albums I don't care about. Should it be D'angelo or Nick Drake because they never released a less than stellar album? There's just not enough material to say definitively that D'angelo/Nick Drake is the best.

This is so much of the opposite on my thinking. The smaller it gets the harder it is to find gradations in quality among the top tier stuff simply because there are so many things that are top tier. To illustrate an example I can easily give you a list of my favorite TV shows but if you were to ask me to name my favorite episodes it would take a really long time and a lot of thought and watching.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:23 pm 

pave wrote:
artist yes. everyone pretty much knows i'm a huge Eminem fan. for me, the most awesome thing in the world is to become emotionally invested in an artist's complete work. it is one thing to simply enjoy a few tracks or a few albums. but its an entirely different feeling to go on a journey with an artist through the good and the bad, when every little detail adds to your understanding of that artist. and for whatever reason, for me that type of connection is rare. i enjoy a ton of different artists, but i only get invested emotionally in a select few. none more than Eminem.

album no. i've never been big on albums to begin with. some live albums and some one-sitting recordings like the library of congress stuff are exceptions because they give me a look at a particular artist at one particular point in time and it feels like an historical moment or some shit. i listen to it like i'm watching a movie or something. but most albums to me just feel like a bunch of filler thrown around 3 or 4 really good songs recorded over a several week span with no real connection to each other.

song yes, kind of. i say my favorite song is Voodoo Child (Slight Return). but its complicated. because at this point i've heard it so many times that i can't listen to it. so its not the song i like most at the moment, and if i stumbled across it on the radio or something i'd probably turn the station, which is weird to say about a "favorite song". but the impact that song has had on me is more than every other song combined. its the reason i play guitar, and still stylistically is the foundation for basically everything i play without intentionally switching my style. if i just pick up a guitar and start jamming without thinking, 99% of the time its a Voodoo Child ripoff. its just engrained in my fingers. a "default setting" so to speak. and i still remember falling in love with the song and know that if i went long enough without hearing it i'd fall in love with it all over again. ive just been way over exposed to it.

Relapse must have been particularly painful for you then.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:24 pm 

McMurphy wrote:
I have an answer if anyone asks me my favorite band/artist, but I definitely don't have a favorite song or album.

I ask you.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:05 pm 

actually i do have a standard answer that i give when people ask me what my favorite piece of music is.... partly because i've never heard anything better, and partly because almost all people know it... so my answer would make sense... but it is by no means my absolute single favorite piece of music ever, because i go through phases probably ever month or even every week where i find something that is "the best thing i've ever heard". it's a strange quality to have... very dangerous when falling in love with people too easily... but very welcome when it's falling in love with music too easily.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:34 pm 

I don't have a favourite song per se but I have favourite pieces of music such as Jupiter by Gustav Holst and Koyunbaba by Carlo Domeniconi.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:54 pm 

corrections wrote:
pave wrote:
artist yes. everyone pretty much knows i'm a huge Eminem fan. for me, the most awesome thing in the world is to become emotionally invested in an artist's complete work. it is one thing to simply enjoy a few tracks or a few albums. but its an entirely different feeling to go on a journey with an artist through the good and the bad, when every little detail adds to your understanding of that artist. and for whatever reason, for me that type of connection is rare. i enjoy a ton of different artists, but i only get invested emotionally in a select few. none more than Eminem.

album no. i've never been big on albums to begin with. some live albums and some one-sitting recordings like the library of congress stuff are exceptions because they give me a look at a particular artist at one particular point in time and it feels like an historical moment or some shit. i listen to it like i'm watching a movie or something. but most albums to me just feel like a bunch of filler thrown around 3 or 4 really good songs recorded over a several week span with no real connection to each other.

song yes, kind of. i say my favorite song is Voodoo Child (Slight Return). but its complicated. because at this point i've heard it so many times that i can't listen to it. so its not the song i like most at the moment, and if i stumbled across it on the radio or something i'd probably turn the station, which is weird to say about a "favorite song". but the impact that song has had on me is more than every other song combined. its the reason i play guitar, and still stylistically is the foundation for basically everything i play without intentionally switching my style. if i just pick up a guitar and start jamming without thinking, 99% of the time its a Voodoo Child ripoff. its just engrained in my fingers. a "default setting" so to speak. and i still remember falling in love with the song and know that if i went long enough without hearing it i'd fall in love with it all over again. ive just been way over exposed to it.

Relapse must have been particularly painful for you then.

like watching a family member eat himself slowly. and defending him the whole time: "yeah, he's eating himself. but he's hungry. what would you do in his situation?" not the best of times.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:55 pm 

Quote:
like watching a family member eat himself slowly. and defending him the whole time: "yeah, he's eating himself. but he's hungry. what would you do in his situation?" not the best of times.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:56 pm 

corrections wrote:
McMurphy wrote:

I ask you.

R.E.M. for sure. The trilogy of Automatic for the People, Murmur, and Reckoning just never gets old for me. They all have their own distinctive sounds and moods to offer, not to mention a bunch of great songs. I've been through all sorts of things with them. Reckoning is one of my most popular 'driving around running errands' albums, just the way it fills up the space of the car so well. The moment Michael Stipe comes in with his half mumbled voice and oblique lyrics, and that amazing guitar lick, I know I could be anywhere and it would hit me the same way every time. Automatic is my nighttime album, one I usually reserve for walking the dog late at night after its been dark for at least an hour. Murmur is one I can play almost anywhere, and judging by the way my cat reacts to it, its one of her all time favorites as well. Those three aside, New Adventures in Hi-Fi, Monster, and Life's Rich Pageant are also pretty kick ass, although I don't have as many memories attached to them as I do the first three.

Last edited by McMurphy on Fri May 25, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.