DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

See link in first post
0-99 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
100-199 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
200-299 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
300-399 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
400-499 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
500-599 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
600-699 28%  28%  [ 9 ]
700-799 41%  41%  [ 13 ]
800-899 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
900-1000 (dreamcoil tier) 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 32
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:11 pm
Posts: 5462
Location: Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick.
Sodacake wrote:
Quinnsy Lohan wrote:
Guys, pretty sure you missed what score I got.

My nigga. I didn't think one could score that high listening to only Agalloch.


Man, they just play so many different genres.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:07 am 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:50 pm
Posts: 3246
Location: Somewhere Along the Highway
I don't have last.fm, but I imagine I wouldn't be too high up there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:55 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm
Posts: 23474
batman wrote:
joe c wrote:
I feel like there are certain albums you must listen to before you can stake your claim as a serious music listener.


And lemme guess, they're all from the 20th century and were made in either America or the UK?

Was music an important part of people's lives before the advent of recorded music?


Why do you think certain cultures have shared folk music heritage and songs that practically everyone knows? Aren't those canon?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:56 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm
Posts: 23474
dreamcoil wrote:
George wrote:
but, batman, the idea of a "serious music listener" (the record collector nerd, someone who spends hours every day listening to music, etc.) is a very recent phenomenon, too...


in terms of actualising and realising this ideal - yes. in terms of people passionate about and longing to hear, play and explore music, of course not. it's innate human nature.


Then why do so many people not care about exploring and delving into music?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:58 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm
Posts: 23474
dreamcoil wrote:
corrections wrote:
dreamcoil wrote:
pauldrach - i don't think my own opinion is that important personally, especially in regards to everyone else's listening habits


then why did you give it?


the exact same reason you bolded and quoted me out on it, i.e - pedantry and the need to express


Well you don't know why I bolded and called you out on it. If you're going to say most people here have boring taste then you can't just back into a hole when someone asks you to say what that means and define it. That just leaves it to other people to guess. For example, my guess is that you have a strong anti-canon bias and that you view the sign of non-boring taste as listening to lots of things that other people haven't listened to. Really being strongly anti-canon is no better than being strongly addicted to the canon. There is a reason why certain things become canon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:00 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm
Posts: 23474
dreamcoil wrote:
George wrote:
dreamcoil wrote:
thank you, batman. very strong point. tell me paul, why this fetishism with the western canon? if you look across other cultures in the world, south american, east asian, indian subcontinental or whatever it is, people are usually wary and reluctant of the idea of canonising things.
how do you figure? as far as i'm aware, they canonize things at least as much as in the west. in fact, they tend to be much more conservative and tend to adhere to tradition much more than in the west.


in terms of music, not much, it's a lot varied in the subcontinent and the middle east - two places i'm very familiar with. and by canonical, i don't mean in terms of experimentation, but in terms of 'standards'. india, for example, has 28 states, and pretty much every one has their own musical idols and heroes. there are definitely certain figures nationally regarded as geniuses, but it seems a bit more scattered and slightly less clearer as you explore. same with the middle east.


That's canon it's just more regionally limited. The west has been more strongly connected intellectually for a longer period of time such that the canon is more broadly stretched.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:07 am
Posts: 8040
Location: Seattle
corrections wrote:
batman wrote:
joe c wrote:
I feel like there are certain albums you must listen to before you can stake your claim as a serious music listener.


And lemme guess, they're all from the 20th century and were made in either America or the UK?

Was music an important part of people's lives before the advent of recorded music?


Why do you think certain cultures have shared folk music heritage and songs that practically everyone knows? Aren't those canon?


I don't really know what you're trying to get at with this question. Yes, that's what the canon is. It seems like you are agreeing with me but I'm not sure...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:39 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm
Posts: 23474
batman wrote:
corrections wrote:
batman wrote:
joe c wrote:
I feel like there are certain albums you must listen to before you can stake your claim as a serious music listener.


And lemme guess, they're all from the 20th century and were made in either America or the UK?

Was music an important part of people's lives before the advent of recorded music?


Why do you think certain cultures have shared folk music heritage and songs that practically everyone knows? Aren't those canon?


I don't really know what you're trying to get at with this question. Yes, that's what the canon is. It seems like you are agreeing with me but I'm not sure...


It seemed to me like you were agreeing with lacuna that other cultures don't canonize.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:19 am
Posts: 6342
Location: toronto
corrections wrote:
dreamcoil wrote:
corrections wrote:
dreamcoil wrote:
pauldrach - i don't think my own opinion is that important personally, especially in regards to everyone else's listening habits


then why did you give it?


the exact same reason you bolded and quoted me out on it, i.e - pedantry and the need to express


Well you don't know why I bolded and called you out on it. If you're going to say most people here have boring taste then you can't just back into a hole when someone asks you to say what that means and define it.


what? that is just my view. it means i am am bored of canonical discussion and almost never want to hear anything about said artists for a long time. quite a bit of my favourite albums are from the canon - so if i show any strong bias otherwise it's because of the nature of the forum. if that's bad, so be it. wouldn't it be fucking boring if you hung out with your mates talking about the exact same things for, what, half a decade now? i'd rather talk to batman about what nicki minaj is doing on roman reloaded (which btw is quite fun, will) than most of you about led zeppelin

remember when people used to hate on the radiohead thread for just listing favourite albums over and over?

pauldrach - my whole tirade began w/r/t the forum. if someone has lived in some sort of a musical vacuum and has no exposure, sure you can introduce him/her to a canonical work and it'll be gravy. this is not the case for ddders, they clearly have a love for music and have already explored the canon but 6 years on and we're still talking about the summer of love and all of that. surely there's something very odd about continually choosing to live vicariously in a certain period of time, forever. you lose touch with culture and, to an extent, the reality of musical growth. borrowed nostalgia for things that never happened.

george - everything you say is accurate but i'm speaking more in regards to popular culture and not classical music traditions of the world. classical music has its essence in tradition and is bound to be more conservative than popular culture (pop music, for lack of better term). again, i'm not saying one thing is better than the other, just that a lot of western figures are more universally revered than some of their eastern counterparts. there isn't just one reason for this, the advent and influence of western civilisation has much to do with it as well, amongst other things like english language music having wider accessibility because of english being the lingua franca. i didn't entirely mean to say obsession/fetishism is a western phenomenon, but the looks of things makes it appear so, for the most part.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:17 pm 
Offline
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:51 pm
Posts: 8831
Location: the undiscovered country
dreamcoil wrote:
my whole tirade began w/r/t the forum. if someone has lived in some sort of a musical vacuum and has no exposure, sure you can introduce him/her to a canonical work and it'll be gravy. this is not the case for ddders, they clearly have a love for music and have already explored the canon but 6 years on and we're still talking about the summer of love and all of that. surely there's something very odd about continually choosing to live vicariously in a certain period of time, forever. you lose touch with culture and, to an extent, the reality of musical growth. borrowed nostalgia for things that never happened.


the non-bold part of this clears up a lot for me as it relates to understanding your attitude sometimes on this forum and i don't really blame you for getting bored with those types of discussions. also i agree with the bold 100%.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:36 pm
Posts: 3497
Location: Berlin, Germany
dreamcoil wrote:
this is not the case for ddders, they clearly have a love for music and have already explored the canon but 6 years on and we're still talking about the summer of love and all of that. surely there's something very odd about continually choosing to live vicariously in a certain period of time, forever. you lose touch with culture and, to an extent, the reality of musical growth. borrowed nostalgia for things that never happened.

When talking about the canon I am not simply referring to pop/rock from the 1960's and '70's. Quite on the contrary it can be very new music in my opinion, if it generates enough hype in the press. "In Rainbows" or "Merriweather Post Pavilion" certainly are established items of this forum's canon. I agree that it's close-minded if you only listen to music from a certain era but noone on here (except maybe Neg Creep and a couple of guys from the instrumentalist part of the forum) really does that.

Also I am still exploring the canon. There are some genres (eletronica for instance) whose canons I'm largely unfamiliar with. At the same time I'm delving deeper into styles I already know. Both is fun.

dreamcoil wrote:
classical music has its essence in tradition and is bound to be more conservative than popular culture (pop music, for lack of better term).

Now this is just bullshit. Today there is both very conservative pop music and very eclectic "classical" music around (classical hereby referring to non-pop music in general).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:19 am
Posts: 6342
Location: toronto
......

obviously when i am speaking of classical versus pop i meant in general, and not as an absolute. there is evolution in every genre but because more people are making pop music there's bound to be more variations in the genre than classical. are you really going to tell me that there's more development in classical now than in the first half of the 20th century?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:36 pm
Posts: 3497
Location: Berlin, Germany
No, I didn't want to say that, and I actually didn't say that either. "Classical music has its essence in tradition and is bound to be more conservative than popular culture" is what I disagreed with and still do.

dreamcoil wrote:
because more people are making pop music there's bound to be more variations in the genre than classical.


This is true though, but not really related to the post of you I referred to in any way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:20 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm
Posts: 23474
dreamcoil wrote:
corrections wrote:
dreamcoil wrote:
corrections wrote:

the exact same reason you bolded and quoted me out on it, i.e - pedantry and the need to express


Well you don't know why I bolded and called you out on it. If you're going to say most people here have boring taste then you can't just back into a hole when someone asks you to say what that means and define it.


what? that is just my view. it means i am am bored of canonical discussion and almost never want to hear anything about said artists for a long time. quite a bit of my favourite albums are from the canon - so if i show any strong bias otherwise it's because of the nature of the forum. if that's bad, so be it. wouldn't it be fucking boring if you hung out with your mates talking about the exact same things for, what, half a decade now? i'd rather talk to batman about what nicki minaj is doing on roman reloaded (which btw is quite fun, will) than most of you about led zeppelin

remember when people used to hate on the radiohead thread for just listing favourite albums over and over?

pauldrach - my whole tirade began w/r/t the forum. if someone has lived in some sort of a musical vacuum and has no exposure, sure you can introduce him/her to a canonical work and it'll be gravy. this is not the case for ddders, they clearly have a love for music and have already explored the canon but 6 years on and we're still talking about the summer of love and all of that. surely there's something very odd about continually choosing to live vicariously in a certain period of time, forever. you lose touch with culture and, to an extent, the reality of musical growth. borrowed nostalgia for things that never happened.

george - everything you say is accurate but i'm speaking more in regards to popular culture and not classical music traditions of the world. classical music has its essence in tradition and is bound to be more conservative than popular culture (pop music, for lack of better term). again, i'm not saying one thing is better than the other, just that a lot of western figures are more universally revered than some of their eastern counterparts. there isn't just one reason for this, the advent and influence of western civilisation has much to do with it as well, amongst other things like english language music having wider accessibility because of english being the lingua franca. i didn't entirely mean to say obsession/fetishism is a western phenomenon, but the looks of things makes it appear so, for the most part.


Fair enough. It's why I often don't participate in much music discussion on here anymore because there isn't that much new ground being covered (and I myself have very little time to take in and listen to new music given my own listening requirements). Having nothing to say I say nothing. Most of my musical interests now involved ranging more back in time to listen to stuff I haven't heard yet. To clarify I don't have any particular nostalgia for that period in history and I don't think many people here do which is why I find it a puzzling criticism. Most people participate in those discussions when they do because it is one of the few areas of large shared cultural experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: How eclectic are your tastes?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:22 pm 
Offline
moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:11 pm
Posts: 23474
dreamcoil wrote:
......

obviously when i am speaking of classical versus pop i meant in general, and not as an absolute. there is evolution in every genre but because more people are making pop music there's bound to be more variations in the genre than classical. are you really going to tell me that there's more development in classical now than in the first half of the 20th century?


But the history of 20th century western classical music (and going back into the late 19th century) is one of in large part rejection of previous tradition. It's what made the development so fascinating. Honestly I'm a very poor person to talk about classical music post the 1950s but you may actually be making a pretty grave mistake in the assumption that there isn't a whole bunch of crazy development still going on. It just isn't particularly well known by most people.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:

DigitalDreamDoor.com   

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page