DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

The Most Diverse Artist?
The Beatles 41%  41%  [ 13 ]
Queen 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Jeff Buckley 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Frank Zappa 47%  47%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 32
 Post subject: Re: Diversity
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:32 pm 

Cheers man.

Led For Yo Head wrote:
Sadly, I only have Voyage of the Acolyte, Spectral Mornings, and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Any recs?

I thoroughly recommend Darktown. His later material - from Guitar Noir onwards - is all worth a listen, though I'd probably give Blues With a Feeling a miss unless you're really intrigued by Hackett playing blues.

-http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6MPDQ600

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:24 pm 

dreamcoil wrote:
re: japanese folk

morita doji rocks.

Excellent stuff. Do you have any other Japanese Folk recommendations. I have barely dug into the genre at all. My exposure is largely anime soundtracks and Kazuki Tomokawa's excellent Blue Water, Red Water.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:49 am 

Forgotten Son wrote:

This thread is now an Akkerman, Blackmore, Hackett and Howe thread.

I've given it a fair amount of thought and it's really difficult. Personally I'd rank Blackmore last, even though his repertoire includes hard rock, neo-classical metal, blues and renaissance/folk. Akkerman is probably the most accomplished in each of the genres he plays - his jazz stuff is pretty impressive, as is his lute playing. Howe has done a fuck ton of different styles, but from what I've heard he kinda of flirts with each idea rather than developing on it. Hackett is a superb classical guitarist and has dabbled with some pretty varied genres, from blues to Japanese folk. I don't know. I just don't know.

I can just about rank them by preference, which would be:

Hackett
Akkerman
Blackmore
Howe

But it's still really close.

excellent news. i would rank hackett with akkerman as the most diverse (purely from a guitar playing perspective - as his classical playing requires requires a more disparate skill set than the other genres), then howe slightly above blackmore. preference is hackett>blackmore>akkerman>howe, extremely close though

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:09 am 

corrections wrote:
dreamcoil wrote:
re: japanese folk

morita doji rocks.

Excellent stuff. Do you have any other Japanese Folk recommendations. I have barely dug into the genre at all. My exposure is largely anime soundtracks and Kazuki Tomokawa's excellent Blue Water, Red Water.

that kazuki tomokawa album is amazing, i think rommie uploaded it here on the old ddd. as for recs, yeah i have a few, i'll upload some in the international thread soon!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:53 am 

Zappa = diverse

Beatles = diverse by changing popular music by introducing musical innovations constantly

Beatles for me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:10 am 

...?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:15 am 

i can tell you what's diverse, the number of ddders that don't care about these dead polls.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:41 pm 

Zappa used diverse styles/techniques for his own interest, I suppose. The Beatles used diversity of sound and in the process completely changed their music and popular rock/pop music with it. Zappa never approached that. The Beatles were like the Beethoven's of late 20th century popular music - music never reverted to the simpler style that was popular before them. That's pretty amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:43 pm 

Brian B wrote:
Zappa used diverse styles/techniques for his own interest, I suppose. The Beatles used diversity of sound and in the process completely changed their music and popular rock/pop music with it. Zappa never approached that. The Beatles were like the Beethoven's of late 20th century popular music - music never reverted to the simpler style that was popular before them. That's pretty amazing.

That's not really true though, is it. There are plenty of simple Beatles songs. And there are millions of simple pop songs after the Beatles finished.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:55 pm 

Brian B wrote:

http://blogs.reuters.com/fanfare/2010/0 ... hem-to-be/

:razz:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:10 pm 

Brian B wrote:

hyperbole was never the same either, apparently

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:55 pm 

Brian, I agree with you but nobody else will.
You'll probably hear some bullshit about "source material" or something, that's what I got with Jeff Buckley.

It just comes down to different interpretations of how you define 'diversity'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:53 pm 

Georgi wrote:
Brian B wrote:

That's not really true though, is it. There are plenty of simple Beatles songs. And there are millions of simple pop songs after the Beatles finished.

I could have been more clear. Early beatles innovations, Rubber Soul innovations, Revolver innovations, Sgt. Pepper innovations, Abbey Road innovations, etc. opened more possibilities for everyone. The simple styles/techniques I refer to are the light poppy ones used predominantly before The Beatles started pushing boundries. They could get away with it because of their popularity, of course. I don't think it's about exclusively moving past older styles, etc., but instead refers to extending and adding to musical possibilities.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:19 pm 

George wrote:
Brian B wrote:

http://blogs.reuters.com/fanfare/2010/0 ... hem-to-be/

:razz:

George Martin complemented the Beatles perfectly, and they fed off each other. That's the point of their collaboration. I think Jeff kind of misses that in his interview.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:20 pm 

dreamcoil wrote:
Brian B wrote:

hyperbole was never the same either, apparently

Beatles4ever

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next