DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

?
Live At The Apollo (James Brown) 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
What's Goin' On (Marvin Gaye) 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 12
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7583
Location: New Jersey
Negative Creep wrote:
So the greatness of an album can only be determined by how many people requested it in Bruce's record store?

I dont get why you keep using this argument. One person's experience doesn't translate to universal fact.


If you're gonna push something as the greatest of all time, you'd think it would be a constant seller in an R&B store like the one I was in, that's all I;m saying.

Should the greatest R&B album really be determined by white music critics and white music historians?

By the way, what about "Thriller?"

Why wouldn't "Thriller" be the greatest R&B album ever?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:47 am
Posts: 8515
Location: in a pungent rose petal
Im actually agreeing with Bruce here, simply cause often enough, greatest of all time simply translates to 'considered greatest in US and UK' . Live at the Apollo is a non existent album in this part of the world, whereas something like Thriller is quite literally worshipped


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:00 am
Posts: 2059
If I had to make a top 10 would be something like:

1. Thriller (1982) - Michael Jackson
2. What's Going On (1971) - Marvin Gaye
3. Innervisions (1973) - Stevie Wonder
4. Live at the Apollo (1963) - James Brown
5. Purple Rain (1984) - Prince
6. Songs In The Key Of Life (1976) - Stevie Wonder
7. I Never Loved A Man the Way I Love You (1967) - Aretha Franklin
8. Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music (1962) - Ray Charles
9. There's A Riot Goin' On (1971) - Sly & The Family Stone
10. The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (1998) - Lauryn Hill

HM:

Off the Wall (1979) - Michael Jackson
Sign O' The Times (1987) - Prince
Superfly (1972) - Curtis Mayfield
Talking Book (1972) - Stevie Wonder
Otis Blue (1965) - Otis Redding


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14127
I was gonna include Thriller here, but in the end I think of it more as pop than r&b.

Also I dont see what being white or black has to do with deciding the greatest r&b album.

If we're gonna consider Thriller to be r&b, then it might indeed edge out these two. It's just that I always see WGO being lauded with endless praise for it's songs and production.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:47 am
Posts: 8515
Location: in a pungent rose petal
What's going on definitely seems the most critically acclaimed of the lot


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7583
Location: New Jersey
Negative Creep wrote:


Also I dont see what being white or black has to do with deciding the greatest r&b album.



Here's what.

The term R&B (rhythm and blues) was coined not as a style of music, but as a term to replace "race " as the name of the Billboard chart that tracks which records are most popular with blacks. In the late 40s Jerry Wexler coined that term and it caught on. It was a way to try and market black music to more white people, as whites at that time were not generally interested in what blacks were listening to.

The Billboard race, R&B, soul, Black Contemporary, etc chart does not have anything to do with a style of music. It exists solely to let radio stations and record stores that cater to black customers know which records are most popular in the black community.

That being sais, since "rhythm and blues" is nothing more than a codework for "black," I would think that black people should be decidning which album is the greatest R&B (aka popular in the black community) album.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:07 am
Posts: 7910
Location: Seattle
For me it is probably "Voodoo" by D'angelo. I'll take "What's Going On" out of these two options, but over the past year or so, "Let's Get it On" has probably eclipsed it on my list of favorite Marvin Gaye albums.

And Bruce is right, this forum should only be a place for discussion of white artists, because that's our frame of reference. Bruce can educate us on black artists though, because he's not really white, he worked at a record store after all. Plus, did you hear he was a DJ? What an honor to be graced with his funky presence.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7583
Location: New Jersey
batman wrote:
For me it is probably "Voodoo" by D'angelo. I'll take "What's Going On" out of these two options, but over the past year or so, "Let's Get it On" has probably eclipsed it on my list of favorite Marvin Gaye albums.

And Bruce is right, this forum should only be a place for discussion of white artists, because that's our frame of reference. Bruce can educate us on black artists though, because he's not really white, he worked at a record store after all. Plus, did you hear he was a DJ? What an honor to be graced with his funky presence.


"Discussing" is fine, but a bunch of white dorks deciding what is the greatest black album of all time seems a little presumptuous.

It would be like a bunch of Americans deciding what is the best French wine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:07 am
Posts: 7910
Location: Seattle
I thought this was a discussion...
What makes it a decision compared to a discussion? What's the difference?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7583
Location: New Jersey
batman wrote:
I thought this was a discussion...
What makes it a decision compared to a discussion? What's the difference?


I suppose it's a harmless thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:07 am
Posts: 7910
Location: Seattle
Don't be so sure, we may just end up making the official decree to speak for all people of the R&B race


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 14127
Bruce wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:


Also I dont see what being white or black has to do with deciding the greatest r&b album.



Here's what.

The term R&B (rhythm and blues) was coined not as a style of music, but as a term to replace "race " as the name of the Billboard chart that tracks which records are most popular with blacks. In the late 40s Jerry Wexler coined that term and it caught on. It was a way to try and market black music to more white people, as whites at that time were not generally interested in what blacks were listening to.

The Billboard race, R&B, soul, Black Contemporary, etc chart does not have anything to do with a style of music. It exists solely to let radio stations and record stores that cater to black customers know which records are most popular in the black community.

That being sais, since "rhythm and blues" is nothing more than a codework for "black," I would think that black people should be decidning which album is the greatest R&B (aka popular in the black community) album.


None of that changes the fact that any white person can be just as educated on black music as any black person.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:26 am
Posts: 7583
Location: New Jersey
Negative Creep wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:


Also I dont see what being white or black has to do with deciding the greatest r&b album.



Here's what.

The term R&B (rhythm and blues) was coined not as a style of music, but as a term to replace "race " as the name of the Billboard chart that tracks which records are most popular with blacks. In the late 40s Jerry Wexler coined that term and it caught on. It was a way to try and market black music to more white people, as whites at that time were not generally interested in what blacks were listening to.

The Billboard race, R&B, soul, Black Contemporary, etc chart does not have anything to do with a style of music. It exists solely to let radio stations and record stores that cater to black customers know which records are most popular in the black community.

That being sais, since "rhythm and blues" is nothing more than a codework for "black," I would think that black people should be decidning which album is the greatest R&B (aka popular in the black community) album.


None of that changes the fact that any white person can be just as educated on black music as any black person.


Obviously, and an American can be just as educated on French wine as a French person, but wouldn't you say that it would mean more if French experts picked the best French wines than if American experts on French wine did the same?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:35 am
Posts: 4182
batman wrote:
For me it is probably "Voodoo" by D'angelo. I'll take "What's Going On" out of these two options, but over the past year or so, "Let's Get it On" has probably eclipsed it on my list of favorite Marvin Gaye albums.

And Bruce is right, this forum should only be a place for discussion of white artists, because that's our frame of reference. Bruce can educate us on black artists though, because he's not really white, he worked at a record store after all. Plus, did you hear he was a DJ? What an honor to be graced with his funky presence.


:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Greatest R&B Album?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:11 pm
Posts: 5264
Location: Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick.
Bruce wrote:
batman wrote:
For me it is probably "Voodoo" by D'angelo. I'll take "What's Going On" out of these two options, but over the past year or so, "Let's Get it On" has probably eclipsed it on my list of favorite Marvin Gaye albums.

And Bruce is right, this forum should only be a place for discussion of white artists, because that's our frame of reference. Bruce can educate us on black artists though, because he's not really white, he worked at a record store after all. Plus, did you hear he was a DJ? What an honor to be graced with his funky presence.


"Discussing" is fine, but a bunch of white dorks deciding what is the greatest black album of all time seems a little presumptuous.

It would be like a bunch of Americans deciding what is the best French wine.


Dorks? Do you know how much we party?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:

DigitalDreamDoor.com   

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

DigitalDreamDoor Forum is one part of a music and movie list website whose owner has given its visitors
the privilege to discuss music and movies, and has no control and cannot in any way be held liable over
how, or by whom this board is used. If you read or see anything inappropriate that has been posted,
contact webmaster@digitaldreamdoor.com. Comments in the forum are reviewed before list updates.
Topics include rock music, metal, rap, hip-hop, blues, jazz, songs, albums, guitar, drums, musicians...


DDD Home Page | DDD Music Lists Page | DDD Movie Lists Page