DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Do you?
Yes! 70%  70%  [ 21 ]
No! 30%  30%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 30
 Post subject: Do you have a favorite artist/album/song/et al?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:04 pm 

I can never answer these types of questions definitively. How about you?

Post subject: Re: Do you have a favorite artist/album/song/et al?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:14 pm 

Yeah, I do, but the bigger the category the less it changes (favourite band hasn't changed in a few years, album changes every now and then, and song changes just about every other day).

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:14 pm 

Yes to album and artist, a big Fuck No to song.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:23 pm 

artist yeah, song/album nope

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:37 pm 

Artist kinda. I consider Marillion my favourite band, but in truth I haven't listened to them in a few months. I tend to work in cycles of obsessing over one particular band/group of bands that I've discovered or rediscovered. For example a couple of weeks ago I was listening to a lot of Fleetwood Mac after watching the episode of Classic Albums that dealt with the making of Rumours. In those few days I'd have considered Rumours or Tango in the Night to be my favourite albums. As we speak I'm listening to Sierra Quemada by Steve Hackett and would consider it a favourite song, but I'm sure over the next few days and weeks I'll move on to various different artists, albums and songs.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 pm 

Yup to all.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:38 pm 

The Doors = my favorite artist of all time without hesitation.

Albums and songs would be much tougher.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:47 pm 

Song definitely yes, album probably yes, artist no. The larger the thing, the more difficult it gets to answer. I can't find any imperfections in "Untitled (How Does it Feel)" (don't even say it, George! ;) ). Favorite album is probably "Greatest Hits vol 1" by EWF, which is actually pretty damn close to perfect, which is crazy for an album (literally the only thing that could be changed to improve it would be the track order). Favorite artist though, it's too difficult. Should it be EW&F since they did my favorite album? They have a pretty good amount of albums I don't care about. Should it be D'angelo or Nick Drake because they never released a less than stellar album? There's just not enough material to say definitively that D'angelo/Nick Drake is the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:09 pm 

Artist not really. I haven't had a definite "favorite band" pegged down for years (Steely Dan, Blur and Los Campesinos! are all probably somewhere in the Top 5 if I did).

Song, essentially yes. When i'm asked I say it's "For Tomorrow" by Blur, although that's primarily out of obligation and having a quick answer at this point. The songs I list on my "100 Favorite Songs" list on RYM are ones I love more than any other, but at the ranking is arbitrary.

Album, yes. Although it's a tie between "London 0 Hull 4" by The Housemartins and "Barafundle" by Gorky's Zygotic Mynci. Both of which I love more than any other album.

Last edited by Ryan on Thu May 10, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:14 pm 

artist yes. everyone pretty much knows i'm a huge Eminem fan. for me, the most awesome thing in the world is to become emotionally invested in an artist's complete work. it is one thing to simply enjoy a few tracks or a few albums. but its an entirely different feeling to go on a journey with an artist through the good and the bad, when every little detail adds to your understanding of that artist. and for whatever reason, for me that type of connection is rare. i enjoy a ton of different artists, but i only get invested emotionally in a select few. none more than Eminem.

album no. i've never been big on albums to begin with. some live albums and some one-sitting recordings like the library of congress stuff are exceptions because they give me a look at a particular artist at one particular point in time and it feels like an historical moment or some shit. i listen to it like i'm watching a movie or something. but most albums to me just feel like a bunch of filler thrown around 3 or 4 really good songs recorded over a several week span with no real connection to each other.

song yes, kind of. i say my favorite song is Voodoo Child (Slight Return). but its complicated. because at this point i've heard it so many times that i can't listen to it. so its not the song i like most at the moment, and if i stumbled across it on the radio or something i'd probably turn the station, which is weird to say about a "favorite song". but the impact that song has had on me is more than every other song combined. its the reason i play guitar, and still stylistically is the foundation for basically everything i play without intentionally switching my style. if i just pick up a guitar and start jamming without thinking, 99% of the time its a Voodoo Child ripoff. its just engrained in my fingers. a "default setting" so to speak. and i still remember falling in love with the song and know that if i went long enough without hearing it i'd fall in love with it all over again. ive just been way over exposed to it.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:20 pm 

album yes. but nothing else really.

listening to "untitled" is akin to making sweet love to the most beautiful woman in the world only to suddenly be woken up the annoying blare of the alarm and realize it was a dream

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:06 am 

Favourite album is Grace.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:23 am 

George wrote:
album yes. but nothing else really.

listening to "untitled" is akin to making sweet love to the most beautiful woman in the world only to suddenly be woken up the annoying blare of the alarm and realize it was a dream

oh but what a beautiful dream it was

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:12 am 

Definite yes to song, maybe yes for artist and album. Smells Like Teen Spirit was played hundreds of times in high school on my poor little 2 or 4gb ipod nano.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:57 am 

Faith No More still remain one of my biggest favourites, after all these years. Albums and songs change very often.