DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rush
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:21 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
piper wrote:
ClashWho wrote:
I'm not sure about Signals being bold, but I think Presto could be bold.

Signals is often considered their last good album by critics and many fans.

I was thinking of bolding one of two post-Signals albums: Test for Echo or Snakes & Arrows because those are the only two with pretty good acclaim. Thoughts?

Presto has the most acclaim of their post-Moving Pictures period. Snakes & Arrows has decent acclaim. It's often called their best since Presto, which tells you in what high esteem Presto is held. Test for Echo has a mix of good and mediocre reviews.

OK, bolds for Presto and Snakes & Arrows.

I'm keeping Signals in bold.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:22 pm 

I was torn on thinking whether Hemispheres or AFTK should be red. At the end of the day, AFTK doesn't have anything on the level of La Villa Strangiato. The two are very close overall in terms of quality. At the end of the day, I think it should be red for subjective reasons that I would have a lot of trouble explaining to you. "Critical acclaim", album sales, etc can get fucked. I don't give a shit about that, that's why I usually try to avoid list stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:31 pm 

SanTropez wrote:
I was torn on thinking whether Hemispheres or AFTK should be red. At the end of the day, AFTK doesn't have anything on the level of La Villa Strangiato. The two are very close overall in terms of quality. At the end of the day, I think it should be red for subjective reasons that I would have a lot of trouble explaining to you. "Critical acclaim", album sales, etc can get fucked. I don't give a shit about that, that's why I usually try to avoid list stuff.

I think A Farewell to Kings is, track for track, a stronger album than Hemispheres. Heck, I think A Farewell to Kings is superior to 2112 and at least on a par with Moving Pictures. And, personally, I think "Xanadu" is on a level with even "La Villa Strangiato".

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:35 pm 

We'll have to agree to disagree, then.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:07 am 

did the orange tiering: basically the old reds (2112 and Moving Pictures) just became oranges, and I gave Hemispheres and AFTK the reds.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:43 am 

:nono:
Permanent Waves is superior than AFtK and Hemispheres. At least much more acclaimed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:44 pm 

"What about the voice of geddy lee
How did it get so high?
I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?
(I know him and he does!)"

not trolling, don't ban me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:00 am 

http://www.musicradar.com/guitarist/int ... h-357484/4

You can listen to "Caravan" on that page. Man, how can Rush still be churning out such epic tracks of awesomeness after thirty-five years? Just amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:32 am 

Power Windows should be red, or at least bolded. The album contains some of Rush's best songs and arrangements, with some of Geddy's finest vocal performances. I feel that it's at least on par with Farewell and Hemispheres, if not better. Grace Under Pressure could stand to be bolded as well, with Rush classics like "Distant Early Warning", "Afterimage", "Red Sector A", and "The Enemy Within".

I feel you're greatly underrating mid-'80s Rush. Sure, Hold Your Fire was cheesy as hell(I still like it, tho), but the preceding albums kicked huge amounts of ass. Signals is a classic, and another album I feel should've been red instead of Farewell or Hemispheres.

But my biggest gripe is that Power Windows isn't given any acclaim.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:12 pm 

SanTropez wrote:
Wow, I said "end of the day" twice in this post. Kill me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:44 pm 

I gave Power Windows a bold. I don't think it deserves a red.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:24 pm 

ClashWho wrote:
SanTropez wrote:

I think A Farewell to Kings is, track for track, a stronger album than Hemispheres. Heck, I think A Farewell to Kings is superior to 2112 and at least on a par with Moving Pictures. And, personally, I think "Xanadu" is on a level with even "La Villa Strangiato".

Ageed. Xanadu is my favorite Rush song actually.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:28 am 

piper wrote:
I gave Power Windows a bold. I don't think it deserves a red.

Cool. Any thoughts on Grace Under Pressure?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:28 pm 

Yngtchie Blacksteen wrote:
Power Windows should be red, or at least bolded. The album contains some of Rush's best songs and arrangements, with some of Geddy's finest vocal performances.

Agreed on all counts.

I feel that it's at least on par with Farewell and Hemispheres, if not better.

Hemispheres, yes. But I think A Farewell to Kings is their best album ever.

Grace Under Pressure could stand to be bolded as well, with Rush classics like "Distant Early Warning", "Afterimage", "Red Sector A", and "The Enemy Within".

I wouldn't be opposed to a bold for Grace Under Pressure.

I feel you're greatly underrating mid-'80s Rush. Sure, Hold Your Fire was cheesy as hell(I still like it, tho), but the preceding albums kicked huge amounts of ass. Signals is a classic, and another album I feel should've been red instead of Farewell or Hemispheres.

I think bold is fine for Signals.

But my biggest gripe is that Power Windows isn't given any acclaim.

Yeah, I agree that it's one of their strongest albums. Certainly one of my favorites from them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:07 am 

from what i've heard

1. moving pictures
2. grace under pressure
3. permanent waves
4. a farewell to kings
5. signals
6. 2112
7. power windows
8. hemispheres
9. presto
10. hold your fire
11. fly by night

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next