DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Magnetic Fields + Stephin Merritt's Other Projects
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:46 pm 

New single! New single! New single!

Not sure about it on first listen though I must say, it's a nice return to the Get Lost-era sound which is a great plus from me, but it just seems a little lacklustre and uncatchy melody for SM, seems like it may be a grower though (and I'm obviously going to listen to the new album 7,835 times within the first month of it coming out), so I'll see.

Just 26 days to go and counting til the album comes out! (I'm avoiding leaks, nothing quite like buying it at a CD shop on the day of release, opening the crisp-pristine wrapper and listening to it on the way home in the car and besides, the anticipation of the thing only makes the heart grow fonder or something.

edit: Okay, on second listen I like it a hell of a lot more, scratch that, it's catchyness is always starting to grow on me. Why does this always happen? The obsession starts here. :lol:

edit2: Listened to it 4 times now. Love it now! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:25 pm 

Fuck me! Can't stop listening to it now. So addictive.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:30 am 

Valentines Day is one of my favourite days because of my annual listen of 69 Love Songs!

$50 boo boo will comment on this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:09 pm 

Album out tomorrow! :biggrin:

Have avoided it as much as I possibly could. Will be going into town especially to get it tomorrow. Still love the romanticism of picking up a hugely anticipated record on the first day of release and that moment when you open it and listen through it for the first time. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:33 pm 

I actually saw it in a record store today! On vinyl for $20 but since I just lost my job and spent a shitload of money getting drunk the other night I decided to forgo it. If I'd know it wasn't actually out yet I might have bought it, just because of how cool that would make me. Now I'll never be cool. Maybe tomorrow I will go and buy it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:39 am 

Just got it on both CD and vinyl and listening it to the first time now. :thumb:

SM albums, like all great pop music, tend to get better and better on each listen, so I'm not sure about how I'd rank the album yet. However I was a bit surprised by the sound (not surprised in a good or bad way, just surprised as in it wasn't what I was expecting).

After the single "Andrew in Drag" which sounds like it could be lifted straight off Holiday, I assumed a move back in that direction, but it's not. It sounds much more like a Future Bible Heroes' release than a Magnetic Fields' one (I'm really surprised this has been released as a TMF album and not an FBH album tbh) and it's probably the weirdest and most experimental album he's made since Distant Plastic Trees.

In fact, it's probably going back right to DPT rather than Holiday, almost as if his career has gone full circle.

Anyway, favourite songs on first listen are "Andrew in Drag" "Infatuation (with your Gyration)" "I've Run Away To Join the Fairies" and "My Husband's Pied-a-Terre."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:51 am 

I really like it so far, listened to it 3 times now. Like pretty much all SM albums it takes a listen or 2 to sink in and I thought it was a bit meh on first listen, but I've thought that with pretty much all his albums! And like usual it's got better and better on second and third listen.

The thing what makes SM so good for me is that you can liste to his songs over and over again and some songs you don't realise just how good they are 'til your 47th listen 2 years later.

I would probably rank it ahead of Holiday, but below Get Lost right now, but this is all on early impressions, could be completely different 6 months down the line.

"I've Run Away to Join the Fairies" is maybe my favourite so far.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:13 pm 

that is one whack video Avery, but a pretty catchy song to listen to i guess. Magnetic fields are a bit of an acquired listening for me, cant listen to them always, dont even like them mostly, but there are times when i love listening to some of the tracks off 69 love songs, which is the only album i have, and the only 1 i shall have probably

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 pm 

Has anyone ever heard Lush's cover of "I Have the Moon"

It's awesome!

Also, I just got something a bit special off ebay. Not sure anyone other than the SM obsessive would understand, but I'll post more about it when it arrives...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:51 am 

I'm starting to think Hyacinths and Thistles challenges the first 3 albums now.

It's certainly the closest Stephin has ever come to replicating the Susan Anway albums.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:49 am 

It's impossible to not like 69 love songs every now n then. I mostly dont like indie songs or bands, but I keep coming back to this album every now n then. I know I said 2 months ago that I probably wont hear any more of their albums, but im starting to think different.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:09 am 

(sorry for the late reply)

I think writing indie off as one genre is a bit silly when it's really 4 or 5 different genres, I'm not really into indie rock, indie folk or indie electronica bar the odd artist, but I love indie pop and twee. Maybe, you're the same as me yousha, that you'd love indie pop and twee but aren't really bothered about the rest of indie, save the odd artist.

I'd suggest giving The Charm of the Highway Strip a listen next. Possibly the only synth-country pop album ever made. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:09 am 

http://www.mergerecords.com/blog/2013/0 ... n-in-june/

New FBH song with Claudia on vocals. Took me a couple of listens but I realy like it now. ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:52 am 

http://www.mergerecords.com/artists/futurebh

New album out 4th June. Plus remasters of all the previous FBH material coming out too. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:15 am 

So has anyone given the new Future Bibles Heroes album a listen yet?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next