It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soul, Funk & RnB thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:37 am 

dreamcoil wrote:
curtis mayfield is still so underrated in the grand scheme of things. s/t and superfly are both amazing, and roots isn't far behind either.

There's No Place Like America Today is well worth a listen!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:43 am 

oh i'll look into that! is that the one that has billy jack? because billy jack is just so damn good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:38 pm 

a_man_named_gray wrote:
Yeah, I really love it. Is there a good live album you'd suggest. There is one live tune in Hallelujah I Love Her.

I suggest both of these:

Ray Charles at Newport (1958)
Ray Charles in Person (1960)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:03 pm 

dreamcoil wrote:
oh i'll look into that! is that the one that has billy jack? because billy jack is just so damn good.

it is that one!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:17 pm 

dmille wrote:
a_man_named_gray wrote:
Yeah, I really love it. Is there a good live album you'd suggest. There is one live tune in Hallelujah I Love Her.

I suggest both of these:

Ray Charles at Newport (1958)
Ray Charles in Person (1960)

I'll probably get In Person because I've actually heard of that one. I have been planning to get Modern Sounds though, so that'll probably come before either of those.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:38 pm 

Just purchased Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music on iTunes. What's great is I also got Modern Sounds vol. 2 along with it for no extra cost! I wasn't even aware that volume two existed, but I'm still excited.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:24 pm 

I just listened to two live Ray Charles albums(Thanks once more, dmille) Live at Newport and In Person. Both were great, Newport probably appearing to be greater after the first listens. I was pleasently surprised to hear that they were able to keep a few instumentals interesting. Oh, and I finished Modern Sounds today and that was also very good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:52 pm 

I know there aren't a lot of big R. Kelly supporters who frequent this thread, but he is an R&B artist so I figured this was the most appropriate place. I just did a cover of my favorite song of his, "Bump n' Grind," and I was hoping y'all would listen! Any feedback would be appreciated, because I'm trying to branch out from laptop beats like erryone else does and make some music with actual instruments. So I recorded some guitar and flute parts. The final guitar solo is a little bit messy, but I actually preferred it that way and kept it like that. Curious to see if others either agree with me or think it detracts from the song.

Anyway, here it is:

and here's the original for comparison, if you haven't heard it. Although I'm sure anyone who was around in the 90s will recognize it after the first six words.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83j4ICes2i4

Last edited by batman on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:55 am 

R Kelly is one of those artists I've never delved into at all (loving Ignition doesn't count). What albums of his should I get, batman?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:35 am 

Georgi wrote:
R Kelly is one of those artists I've never delved into at all (loving Ignition doesn't count). What albums of his should I get, batman?

IMO get either 12 Play or, for a best of, The R. In R&B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:32 am 

Love letter, my fave r kelly record.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:46 pm 

For you, Georgi, I would recommend either 12 Play or Love Letter (the latter being my favorite, good call Dreamcoil).

12 Play is probably his most classic album. It really shows his influence on modern R&B, and you can tell that this album specifically was a huge influence on The-Dream.

Love Letter is my favorite album of his, but it's not really essential R Kelly, because it's kind of him stepping away from craziness. In the mid 00s he was known for being a crazy person more than a musician, and the songs he was putting out were hilarious (though really good) songs like "Sexasaurus" and "Echo" (the latter is about fucking a girl until she yodels). On Love Letter, R was going back to the sound he's best at, which is smooth, quiet storm stuff with groovy beats that are easy to step to. And the lyrics aren't quite so freaky. It's just a really solid album that shows what a talented multi-instrumentalist, songwriter, and producer he is. No bizarre humor to hide his true skills.

Here are my two favorite songs from Love Letter
Just Can't Get Enough
Just Like That

and just for the hell of it, here's one from 2004's "Happy People" that I like a lot.
Weatherman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:09 pm 

I want to thank whoever nudged me to listen to Jackie Wilson(I think it was Negative Creep). I relistened to my compilatation and it made me shit myself in ways it hadn't the first time. I really think he is the most dynamic vocalist I've heard.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:44 pm 

Hey batman, really liked your cover of Bump and Grind! The messy guitar solo works fine here - it's a song about bumpin' and grindin' after all. Downloading 12 Play and Love Letter fo sho.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:02 pm 

thanks Georgi! Hope you enjoy those two albums.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 473 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 32  Next