DDD Home Page
DDD Music Lists Page
DDD Movie Lists Page
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 110  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rap/Hip-Hop discussion
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:23 pm 

I know... 'Tis a sad day. R.I.P. MCA.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:29 pm 

oh wow. that is terrible.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:04 pm 

:cry:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:30 pm 

Damn... R.I.P. :confused:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:39 pm 

god damn it damn damn damn

fuck

i thought his condition was improving!

it feels unreal that 33% of the beasties are gone. it's not like when a member of a rock band dies. rock bands can live on with replacements. but the beasties are iconic because it was always those three guys. now they are no more. i don't want them to be the beastie boys any more. it's not the same. i'd rather never get the chance to see them live now then see mike d, adrock, and some asshole. i feel so bad for those guys. 30 years together.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:02 pm 

What's crazy to me is that they were legitimately relevant the entire time. They never seemed to be stuck on the idea of reliving their glory days. That's unfathomable enough with an aging rock group of any kind, let alone a rap group.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:17 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:03 pm 

Well that's no fun.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:13 pm 

:sad:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:26 pm 

A tribute to Adam Yauch, composed entirely of BB lyrics...
(from the Washington Post)

Born and bred Brooklyn — U.S.A.
They call me Adam Yauch but I'm M.C.A.
Like a lemon to a lime, a lime to a lemon
I sip the def ale with all the fly women
I'm not James at 15 or Chachi in charge
I'm Adam and I'm adamant about living large
I've got more rhymes than I've got gray hairs
And that's a lot because I've got my share
Now what do we have here, an outlaw and his beer
I run this land, you understand, I make myself clear.
M.C. for what I am and do
the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true
so as pray and hope and the message is sent
and I am living in the dreams that I have dreamt
I wish for peace between the races
Someday we shall all be one
That's right y'all
Don't get uptight y'all
I'm out and I'm gone
I tell you now I keep it on and on.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:25 am 

:( RIP MCA.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:52 pm 

Been jamming to the Beasties ever since I heard the news. Damn, my 16-year-old self didn't appreciate them nearly enough.

Also, here's a neat picture:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:11 pm 

that's really cool. who's that on the left?

i sort of relate, that my teenage self should have gotten more into their 90s material. i listened to license to ill obsessively since i first heard girls on the radio some time in elementary school, but i never got very acquainted with check your head, hello nasty, and ill communication. i have them all now of course, and i got the mix up yesterday, which is great; i can't believe i know so little about that one. i've played them all weekend as well. i finished a retrospective through hot sauce part 2 and the sounds of science yesterday.

now that i've read more about them as people outside of their music i'm also kind of sad i never did so before. mca especially sounded like such an amazing person. and i had no idea he founded oscilloscope. and i'm embarrassed that my 60-year-old uncle knew more about his buddhism and free tibet activism than i did haha.

so sad i'll never see them now. they were slated to headline acl right before mca's diagnosis but dropped out. i remember thinking i might never see them because of that, but was still mostly rejected the possibility that mca would actually not recover and they wouldn't play anymore shows after that.
_______

i just found a jazz/funk tribute to the beastie boys by reuben wilson and bernie worrell called boogaloo to the beastie boys. i haven't listened yet. but if anyone's interested filestube has a working mediafire link:

--http://www.filestube.com/search.html?q=boogaloo+to+the+beastie+boys+mediafire&select=All

so far it reminds me of new orleans-y music that i can't think of that right word for right now. but it's really reminiscent if tons of music i've heard at new orleans jazz fests.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:35 pm 

Jess wrote:
that's really cool. who's that on the left?

David Lee Roth (along with the Beasties and Sean Penn for whoever was confused)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:40 pm 

Jess wrote:
i sort of relate, that my teenage self should have gotten more into their 90s material. i listened to license to ill obsessively since i first heard girls on the radio some time in elementary school, but i never got very acquainted with check your head, hello nasty, and ill communication. i have them all now of course, and i got the mix up yesterday, which is great; i can't believe i know so little about that one. i've played them all weekend as well. i finished a retrospective through hot sauce part 2 and the sounds of science yesterday.

now that i've read more about them as people outside of their music i'm also kind of sad i never did so before. mca especially sounded like such an amazing person. and i had no idea he founded oscilloscope. and i'm embarrassed that my 60-year-old uncle knew more about his buddhism and free tibet activism than i did haha.

so sad i'll never see them now. they were slated to headline acl right before mca's diagnosis but dropped out. i remember thinking i might never see them because of that, but was still mostly rejected the possibility that mca would actually not recover and they wouldn't play anymore shows after that.

Yeah I listened to Licensed a bunch in middle school and it definitely fed my juvenile side in a mostly positive way. I remember always singing Brass Monkey every time I pitched one year in little league. I liked the hits off their other stuff like Sure Shot, Intergalactic, Ch-Check It Out, Sabotage, et al but never got into the deep cuts. Paul's Boutique had a few songs I liked but I certainly didn't appreciate it anywhere as much as I do now. Damn that album is so good, front to back. Stone cold classic. And now after reading more about MCA and his Buddhism and how he changed his views about a lot of stuff and spoke up about it (like in Sure Shot or at the VMAs or his Tibetan activism) and how they kept their artistic integrity and still put out killer music and videos has made me realize what a loss this is. I mean, shit, this is basically the end of the Beastie Boys as a whole. The world's a sadder and much less fun place without them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 110  Next